'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Charles Pierce on the BE  (Read 8142 times)

GGGG

• All American
Charles Pierce on the BE
« on: April 03, 2018, 09:50:04 AM »
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/04/03/villanova-big-east-championship-dynasty?utm_campaign=si-ncaabb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Quoting Jay Wright:

"Initially,” Wright said, “I was scared to death because I’d been an assistant in the old Big East and then as a head coach in the old Big East. I knew I thought it was the best conference in the country. But what I learned, over time, is that we’re authentic. Everybody’s basketball. Everybody’s metropolitan, private school. We play each other, home and away. We want to be the best we can be, and it’s amazing how far authenticity can carry you. It’s really surprised me and, for us, it’s the best league in the country.”

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Charles Pierce on the BE
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 11:39:44 AM »
Yup.  The conference we are in is not a concern whatsoever to me.  It is outstanding.  Is it as good as the old BE?  In my opinion, no.  But it's the absolute best case scenario we can be in given that football drives everything.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »
The Big East (or remnants) have won 5 of the last 8 national champions (counting UL and UCONN)...62% or 38% without the question marks. With the NBE, the conference has won 40% of the titles.

Was the old BE better? Yes. Is the NBE damn good? Yes.  Both old and new were highly rated overall by Pomeroy.  However, the jumpers have all done worse collectively while the NBE has lived on.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 12:19:09 PM »
Great piece.  The Jay Wright quote is on the money.  If you claim to be "the best", everyone will run to the metrics to figure out if you're just pumping sunshine.  On Kenpom, RPI, or W-L records, the NBE might occasionally even be that.  But it no longer needs to justify itself as a standout among basketball leagues.

I miss the packed houses of rivalry games against UL and ND, but I'll trade those for a home in a conference with a realistic shot at long-term survival.*

*Subject to NCAA existence in its current form. Your mileage may vary.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 12:24:46 PM »
The writing makes it seem as though Nova was a charter BE member, which isn't true.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »
At the moment, Villanova is as dominant a program as Florida was a decade ago, and as Duke was in the early 1990’s. And as Georgetown was in the early 1980’s, in the glory days of the Big East.

Why stop with the 80's, Chuck?  What about the 70's?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 01:19:51 PM »
Why stop with the 80's, Chuck?  What about the 70's?

Or the mid to late 40s? Oklahoma A&M had a solid run.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 03:18:01 PM »
The writing makes it seem as though Nova was a charter BE member, which isn't true.

No, but they joined the following year (1980).  Lucky for them both Holy Cross and Rutgers declined the invitation to be a part of the original iteration of the conference.

Also turned out to be a key vote in rejecting Penn State joining in 1982.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »
I think we all knew Buzz's ripping of the new Big East when he left was massively overblown. But even for myself, who was a massive supporter of the league, didn't think it would be this good.

Thought they would need to go to 12 teams eventually but that proved to be dead wrong. The only improvement I could see is if UCONN drops football and wants to join, but that ain't gonna happen.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »
I think we all knew Buzz's ripping of the new Big East when he left was massively overblown. But even for myself, who was a massive supporter of the league, didn't think it would be this good.

Thought they would need to go to 12 teams eventually but that proved to be dead wrong. The only improvement I could see is if UCONN drops football and wants to join, but that ain't gonna happen.

Even if UConn drops football (they won't), it doesn't fir the urban/private identity the conference wants.
Now, if Boston College could somehow be persuaded of the evils of football ...

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 04:52:27 PM »
Even if UConn drops football (they won't), it doesn't fir the urban/private identity the conference wants.
Now, if Boston College could somehow be persuaded of the evils of football ...

Boston College has experienced too much success in football to even consider dropping it.  Football made them as an institution.  UConn won't drop as having football is the key to being a part of the new NCAA when the football conferences break away within the next ten years.

The Big East is at 10, that's where it's going to remain pending another huge conference realignment and should remain. There are no good candidates to join the conference that would bring anything extra financially (which is what is the key factor in conference expansion) SLU? No. Dayton? X will never let that happen. Detroit? Laughable. Loyola? No gain there.  Even if you went outside of Catholic schools who is out there that would actually bring a new market or financial benefit to the conference and is an actual, reasonable and realistic candidate (that means no Gonzaga. Never happening).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 05:53:13 PM »
The Big East is at 10, that's where it's going to remain pending another huge conference realignment and should remain. There are no good candidates to join the conference that would bring anything extra financially (which is what is the key factor in conference expansion)

I generally agree with this. If by some miracle you could land a Notre Dame or UConn, sure, you look at it, but the odds of any program of that caliber looking to jump to the Big East seems slim to none, and there just isn't anyone else out there that fits the profile. Besides, the league is humming along perfectly at 10 teams. Why mess with that?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 06:01:07 PM »
Boston College has experienced too much success in football to even consider dropping it.  Football made them as an institution.  UConn won't drop as having football is the key to being a part of the new NCAA when the football conferences break away within the next ten years.

Yes, obviously BC won't drop football.
But it would be one of two programs worth an expansion (Gonzaga being the other .... though we've been through all the reasons why that's not likely).

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »
Yes, obviously BC won't drop football.
But it would be one of two programs worth an expansion (Gonzaga being the other .... though we've been through all the reasons why that's not likely).

Perhaps if Boston U made a huge financial investment into athletics then they would be a good candidate, but dropping to the Patriot League a few years ago sent the signal that isn't even going to happen.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 07:05:01 PM »
Conference realignment likely won't start up for another 4-5 years. We are postioned to be raiders instead of the raided. Sit back a few years and see how the landscape looks in the future. I'm not sure I believe in this separate football conference that Billy predicts, but I do think there will be some changes. I don't think football is sustainable at a few D1 institutions
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 07:43:19 PM »
Conference realignment likely won't start up for another 4-5 years. We are postioned to be raiders instead of the raided. Sit back a few years and see how the landscape looks in the future. I'm not sure I believe in this separate football conference that Billy predicts, but I do think there will be some changes. I don't think football is sustainable at a few D1 institutions

I agree. CFB is very much a tale of haves and have-nots. Schools will continue to ask questions about whether to allocate immense funds to football when they're a have-not. Great position for the Big East to be in when they start concluding "no." 

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 08:46:37 PM »

The Big East is at 10, that's where it's going to remain pending another huge conference realignment and should remain. There are no good candidates to join the conference that would bring anything extra financially (which is what is the key factor in conference expansion) SLU? No. Dayton? X will never let that happen. Detroit? Laughable. Loyola? No gain there.  Even if you went outside of Catholic schools who is out there that would actually bring a new market or financial benefit to the conference and is an actual, reasonable and realistic candidate (that means no Gonzaga. Never happening).

Don't sleep on Davidson.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »
Don't sleep on Davidson.

Can't wait for the road trips to camp out on 82's front yard!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 09:49:49 PM »
Don't sleep on Davidson.

I don't think so.  Without Curry on their roster, they haven't won an NCAA game since 1969.  Nice story, but a dinky school that would be out of place in the BE.  I mean, it only has 1,700 students, which is less than half the size of the smallest BE schools.

The schools that make the most sense are Dayton and SLU....maybe even Loyola  Size-wise, market-wise...any would be fine additions *IF* you had to make a choice.

But the BE doesn't have to make a choice so it can afford to wait.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 11:11:31 PM »
I don't see Dayton or SLU making the BEast any $$$ (or Davidson for that matter). If they don't bring extra $$$ than they won't be invited.

I think UConn is the only school within the realm of possibility at the moment. I think that pool could grow in the next 6-10 years. No need to rush, sit back and see what options become available.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 01:25:32 AM »
I for one love the conference as it is today.  I think years from now we will look back very fondly of this period in time.  It's competitive top to bottom (maybe minus DePaul), and I think it's outstanding that our conference is the only major conference that has a true home/away with each team.  If you don't win the conference, there are no scheduling excuses.  Also, look at Nebraska for example.  It's not like they had to play Michigan State, Purdue, Michigan, & Ohio State twice each.

I love the current BE.  True round robin, all metro, private, basketball first schools.  The only way this gets worse is if we aren't competing, but Nova winning championships really helps.  We had two #1 seeds this year!  Which by the way, makes me even more annoyed that a bunch of 8-10 teams made it in front of MU.  9-9 in a conference with two #1 seeds and 60% tourney teams overall isn't exactly bad.  I know, I know, there is a lot more that goes into it.  I've been very critical of Wojo but I do think we make it in easy next year.  Also, tacos are great.  What was the question?
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 01:59:48 AM »
You obviously don't of it unless it's accretive. From my perspective, the only schools that fit the current profile (not to say this can't change) that would be accretive are ND, Gonzaga and perhaps BC.

ND never would because the ACC lets it have its cake and eat it too. BC isn't going anywhere because of what the ACC does for them in football. Even if either of these would work, they would have undue influence over the rest of the conference with another revenue generating sport.

Tl;Dr - it's not broken, don't fix it

1SE

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 02:39:56 AM »

IF two of SLU, Holy Cross, Fairfield, Canisius or Detroit ever make the financial commitment to their program and achieve some reasonably sustained success they are all markets that I'm sure would be attractive for the package. But that's a big IF.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 07:23:28 AM »
I don't see Dayton or SLU making the BEast any $$$ (or Davidson for that matter). If they don't bring extra $$$ than they won't be invited.

I think UConn is the only school within the realm of possibility at the moment. I think that pool could grow in the next 6-10 years. No need to rush, sit back and see what options become available.

Exactly.  I was merely stating *if* they had to make a choice right now.  No need to do anything at all right now.

Although I go back and forth on UConn. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 07:45:53 AM »
Can't wait for the road trips to camp out on 82's front yard!

Got sum different ornaments for Nads' bush doe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"