* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by 4everwarriors
[Today at 05:34:01 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander disses Derrick Wilson for a slap of 5 on bench...  (Read 55599 times)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Re: Vander disses Derrick Wilson for a slap of 5 on bench...
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2012, 03:08:30 AM »
Junior gets credit for taking a big stride?

Blue is arguably already a better player and he is a year younger.

Oh, and as far as Jamil avg. 10pts per game for the rest of the year, I'll take that bet. Name the stakes.

Good thing you didn't take that bet.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2012, 06:38:58 AM »

Uhh...why? In the 6 games since that post was made, Jamil has scored 33 points, an average of 5.5 ppg. Before yesterday, that average since Jan. 4 was at 3.4 ppg. Both numbers are a far cry from 10 ppg.

Assuming we play the minimum games the rest of the year, 11 Big East games, 1 Big East tourney game, and 1 postseason (at least NIT, even if you're a pessimist) game, Jamil would have to average over 11.3 ppg the rest of the year for him to have lost that bet.

One game does not a season average make. It's like people that expected DG to start averaging a double-double because he had 22/15 against St. John's, or assuming that DJO was no longer a prolific scorer because he had a 5-game stretch with one DNP and a 12.5 ppg average (since then he's scored at least 18 in 7 straight games).

Jamil had a big night. I hope it is a springboard for him. But more likely, he'll have some up nights and some down nights. I personally still find it highly unlikely that he'll end up averaging double-digits from the Georgetown game on. I'd jump in on that bet, and I'm a big Jamil fan.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2012, 07:32:57 AM »
Jamil is a very gifted athlete with a huge upside for MU.  He looks like he's an easy 6'8" with a long wing span!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2012, 08:54:13 AM »

I'll still take it.

What are the stakes?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2012, 09:17:33 AM »
Uhh...why? In the 6 games since that post was made, Jamil has scored 33 points, an average of 5.5 ppg. Before yesterday, that average since Jan. 4 was at 3.4 ppg. Both numbers are a far cry from 10 ppg.

Assuming we play the minimum games the rest of the year, 11 Big East games, 1 Big East tourney game, and 1 postseason (at least NIT, even if you're a pessimist) game, Jamil would have to average over 11.3 ppg the rest of the year for him to have lost that bet.

One game does not a season average make. It's like people that expected DG to start averaging a double-double because he had 22/15 against St. John's, or assuming that DJO was no longer a prolific scorer because he had a 5-game stretch with one DNP and a 12.5 ppg average (since then he's scored at least 18 in 7 straight games).

Jamil had a big night. I hope it is a springboard for him. But more likely, he'll have some up nights and some down nights. I personally still find it highly unlikely that he'll end up averaging double-digits from the Georgetown game on. I'd jump in on that bet, and I'm a big Jamil fan.
I think part of it is the player having confidence in himself and the coach having confidence in the player. In the earlier games Wilson did not shoot very much. I agree there will be up and down games from him the rest of the season, but I fully expect him to shoot 3 times more than he was at the start thus giving him the opportunity to be a double figure scorer.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2012, 10:52:17 AM »

Yeah, I'd take that bet as well.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »
And JC shouldn't get credit because???

JC is a PG.  They do different things but if we are grading on PG position (Blue plays that position at times) JC is a better PG.  The offense runs so much smoother with JC in at PG.  And again, if you don't think getting an injury that prevents you from playing stuns your development, that's fine.  I think it does.  So I think that is why his play was so bad his freshmen year, but then you saw him get better his sophomore year.  And this year he is better.  I also think that PT helps accelerate development and JC has about 15 more minutes of PT than Blue. 

As for Jamil, I said Jamil will START getting 10+ games.  I don't think he will do that on a consistent basis from here on out.  If he minutes stick to about 21-24pg, I think he will average about 8 points, 6 rebounds.  I see his game improving though and I thought in the beginning of the season, he looked a bit out of place.  Once he settles into a role, he will start producing more.

I am just confused as to why you have to start other players when its obvious that Blue's offensive development/skillset isn't where it should be.  Oh well.

Lol.  I said it. I just saw signs of improvement. I knew he would have a breakout game. That's what you hope for when you give a talented player PT.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2012, 11:53:48 AM »
Just a note, you never, ever, ever want to call a game a "breakout game" the next day. You won't be able to tell if a game is truly a breakout until weeks or more likely a month later. Does he take that 16/7 performance and start routinely turning in 10/5 for us? If so, you can go back and call that a breakout. If he goes back to averaging 5/3, then it was just a good game.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »
Just a note, you never, ever, ever want to call a game a "breakout game" the next day. You won't be able to tell if a game is truly a breakout until weeks or more likely a month later. Does he take that 16/7 performance and start routinely turning in 10/5 for us? If so, you can go back and call that a breakout. If he goes back to averaging 5/3, then it was just a good game.

It never ever ever ever matters if I call it a breakout game. Also, he is doing what is expected. He is improving as he gets more experience. If you aren't improving, you will see the bench.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2012, 02:19:44 PM »
Lol.  I said it. I just saw signs of improvement. I knew he would have a breakout game. That's what you hope for when you give a talented player PT.

Soooo... the bets on or off?

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2012, 02:44:38 PM »
Hows blue doing?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2012, 02:47:32 PM »
Hows blue doing?

Playing well in my opinion.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2012, 03:05:07 PM »
Playing well in my opinion.

JW is averaging 9ppg, 5 rebounds, and 2 blocks in the last 3 games. VB is averaging 3ppg, 2rpg, 2apg, 2TOpg and has a total of 1 steal and 0 blocks in that span... Stellar performances.

Players are suppose to show progress as they play more minutes. Blue hasn't shown that in a season and a half. His minutes are going down and our team looks better.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2012, 03:07:30 PM »
JW is averaging 9ppg, 5 rebounds, and 2 blocks in the last 3 games. VB is averaging 3ppg, 2rpg, 2apg, 2TOpg and has a total of 1 steal and 0 blocks in that span... Stellar performances.

Players are suppose to show progress as they play more minutes. Blue hasn't shown that in a season and a half. His minutes are going down and our team looks better.

How does Vander playing well have anything to do with Wilson?

Did Vander punch you out at Qdoba? Or did he eff your girlfriend?

He's playing solid basketball, mostly defensively. Not too mention playing a lesser role and still giving it 110%.

Time to stop playing the broken record.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
nt
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:18:25 PM by MUMac »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2012, 03:26:05 PM »
How does Vander playing well have anything to do with Wilson?

Did Vander punch you out at Qdoba? Or did he eff your girlfriend?

He's playing solid basketball, mostly defensively. Not too mention playing a lesser role and still giving it 110%.

+32 bajillion

Why do Marquette fans seem to have such a hate on for Vander? Every thread seems to have swipes at the kid. It's sad, and doesn't reflect well on Marquette's alumni and students. I don't get such trolling behavior in regard to your own players. Aren't the occasional BADger fans bad enough?

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2012, 03:57:08 PM »

Did Vander punch you out at Qdoba? Or did he eff your girlfriend MOM?

FIXED.

Blue held PC's best player, Council, to 11 points, on 2-13 shooting.  So he did play pretty damn well, on defense.  He also had a pretty fantastic throwdown dunk.  He did everything that was asked of him last night.  Hell, he may have even HIGH FIVED correctly a few times, and HUDDLED during free throws.   

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »
+32 bajillion

Why do Marquette fans seem to have such a hate on for Vander? Every thread seems to have swipes at the kid. It's sad, and doesn't reflect well on Marquette's alumni and students. I don't get such trolling behavior in regard to your own players. Aren't the occasional BADger fans bad enough?

You see it as swipes at a kid. I posted simply to rub it some posters' faces when they thought I was crazy for believing that Blue's play and progress warrants fewer minutes. Within these opinions, posters mentioned that JW is a disappointment while I mentiond that I was seeing real progress and I thought we would start seeing some solid performances from JW as he got more PT. Then people didn't believe that would happen either. Sometimes, people have to eat a hot pile of crow and I don't might serving it every now and then.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »
I was looking for similar comments from you in the thread discussing when Jae not only did not give the love back to Junior on Saturday, but yelled at him.  Jae is a cancer as well, right?

I said can be a cancer.  Did not say is a cancer. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2012, 04:09:08 PM »
Seriously? What is your obsession with reviving dead threads? This was 11 days old. The discussion to be had was had a week and a half ago.

Okay...new term. Any time someone bumps a thread that is 10+ days old and clearly dead, it will heretofore be known as "Hooping". So instead of asking why someone bumped that old thing, we can ask "Hey man, why you Hooping?"

Funny how you kept this thread going the last few days.  If it wasn't a worthy topic, then why did you keep it going the last few days?

::)
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »
FIXED.

Blue held PC's best player, Council, to 11 points, on 2-13 shooting.  So he did play pretty damn well, on defense.  He also had a pretty fantastic throwdown dunk.  He did everything that was asked of him last night.  Hell, he may have even HIGH FIVED correctly a few times, and HUDDLED during free throws.   

Lol... Blue played 14 minutes and Council play 39. I think someone else did just as good of a job shutting down Council

🏀

• All American
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2012, 04:14:45 PM »
You see it as swipes at a kid. I posted simply to rub it some posters' faces when they thought I was crazy for believing that Blue's play and progress warrants fewer minutes. Within these opinions, posters mentioned that JW is a disappointment while I mentiond that I was seeing real progress and I thought we would start seeing some solid performances from JW as he got more PT. Then people didn't believe that would happen either. Sometimes, people have to eat a hot pile of crow and I don't might serving it every now and then.

You do realize you're not serving any crow and no one really thinks that Vander is playing terrible like you do right?

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »
+32 bajillion

Because Vander's behavior off the court has not been great. That is why.  His selfishness on the court at times is the other reason.  There are a number of students who will back up this statement in a second.  It also doesn't reflect well on Marquette's almuni and students when people on this board took crap shots at females that accused MU players of sexual assault, now did it?   You seem to want it both ways.

Vander came out of high school with a head that could barely fit through the door.  It rubbed many a student the wrong way.  It led to fights.  It led to skirmishes with the law.  Ask the students, or do they not count?  Does it still reflect badly on MU's alumni and students when they were there to see it? You can't have it both ways.  

I commend coach Williams for sitting him now in situations where he has hurt us, mostly down the stretch of games.  If Vander can mature off the court and get better offensively on the court, then that will be a win for those MU alumni, the students, the basketball team and Vander himself.  Some guys just take a little longer to get the maturity thing through their head, especially if they've been told how great they are most of their lives and then they find out they really weren't that great but merely pretty good.  I wish Vander well, but I also don't blame some of the students for having their issues with him.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2012, 04:18:01 PM »
Because Vander's behavior off the court has not been great. That is why.  His selfishness on the court at times is the other reason.  There are a number of students who will back up this statement in a second.  It also doesn't reflect well on Marquette's almuni and students when people on this board took crap shots at females that accused MU players of sexual assault, now did it?   You seem to want it both ways.

Vander came out of high school with a head that could barely fit through the door.  It rubbed many a student the wrong way.  It led to fights.  It led to skirmishes with the law.  Ask the students, or do they not count?  Does it still reflect badly on MU's alumni and students when they were there to see it? You can't have it both ways.  

I commend coach Williams for sitting him now in situations where he has hurt us, mostly down the stretch of games.  If Vander can mature off the court and get better offensively on the court, then that will be a win for those MU alumni, the students, the basketball team and Vander himself.  Some guys just take a little longer to get the maturity thing through their head, especially if they've been told how great they are most of their lives and then they find out they really weren't that great but merely pretty good.  I wish Vander well, but I also don't blame some of the students for having their issues with him.

Got any actual facts to back up your statements here?

Or are you going to tip toe the Chicos line of truth and assumptions?

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »
You do realize you're not serving any crow and no one really thinks that Vander is playing terrible like you do right?

Strange. Blue logged less than 20 minutes the last 3 games. Before that, he logged 19 minutes the first game. Every other game he has logged over 20 minutes. Thats it.

First four games in the BE, he averaged 27mpg. Last three, 16mpg. If he is playing so great, why the drop in minutes? I guess Buzz wouldn't agree with what you just said.

feedback