Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tyler Kolek to MU  (Read 30460 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Tyler Kolek to MU
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2021, 07:57:46 PM »
I always felt we would have 2-3 current players on next years roster. We had three D1 players that would play on most teams in the top 25 and the rest were mid major guys that lacked athleticism.

How optimistic are you Goose about an immediate NCAA berth if Garcia is back?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2021, 07:59:53 PM »
onepost

I think we found our shooter.

So good. This has been a nuts 48
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2021, 08:03:40 PM »
Trust Shaka and let him figure it out with all these puzzle pieces. I have complete confidence he knows exactly what he’s doing and has a plan in place. D-1 basketball we’re entitled to 13 scholarships. Let’s start using them all for a change and stop going into a season like we’re on some self imposed probation.  I won’t turn this into bash the former coach post, but that was such an utter failure of his.  We shouldn’t act like we’re surprised to be almost at our scholarship limit next season, let’s be grateful for a new dawn for our program.

And Dawson, while probably likely to be back, is in the air now, in addition to the one open scholly still left. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2021, 08:05:38 PM »
We shouldn’t act like we’re surprised to be almost at our scholarship limit next season

<snip>

And Dawson, while probably likely to be back, is in the air now, in addition to the one open scholly still left.

They're all full now. Emarion Ellis, David Joplin, Keeyan Itejere, Tyler Kolek

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2021, 08:07:09 PM »
How optimistic are you Goose about an immediate NCAA berth if Garcia is back?

Sorry wanted to chime in because this crossed my mind too.  We’re going to be SO young- 1 junior and two seniors as the roster stands now.  That’s going to be tough to pull off. Not impossible, but a big hill to climb all these new players and inexperience. 

But here’s hoping!😁

Goose

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2021, 08:07:19 PM »
Mugs

Very optimistic, with or without Garcia. I think next year is going to resemble the resurgence we saw during the early KO years. A group of guys buying into being part of something special and that buy in will be the key to the process. Today was big day for the program.

TAMU noted in a post that we signed guys outside of the top 75 and on paper he is correct. That said, all rankings are not created equal. Guys that fit of system are key and it looks like every guy signed is a Shaka guy. Big difference over just signing guys.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2021, 08:07:38 PM »
No open scholarship left if Garcia returns.
And it feels weird to use all thirteen.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2021, 08:07:50 PM »
  A day of Shaka and awe.   

I see what you did there.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2021, 08:08:07 PM »
They're all full now. Emarion Ellis, David Joplin, Keeyan Itejere, Tyler Kolek

Oh yeah, duh, I forgot to count Kolek. Thanks

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2021, 08:10:42 PM »
I'm predicting we lose 2 players minimum.

Who do you think they might be?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2021, 08:11:08 PM »
Hutch

Time to get over the Wojo talk about being too young. That is old school thinking and not an excuse any longer. One and done programs do awfully well, as a rule, with a new crew every year. I hope Shaka is fielding young guns and playing them from the opening tap of the season.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2021, 08:13:09 PM »
After reading about Kolek, sounds like he's in the mold of Travis Diener -outside shooter, facilitator, decision maker and tough.  Huge addition that will bring stability to the offense.

Shaka doing in several days what Wojo couldn't do in several years.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2021, 08:15:43 PM »
Who do you think they might be?

I don't see Perez or Akanno coming back and probably Elliott as well. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2021, 08:16:57 PM »
Hutch

Time to get over the Wojo talk about being too young. That is old school thinking and not an excuse any longer. One and done programs do awfully well, as a rule, with a new crew every year. I hope Shaka is fielding young guns and playing them from the opening tap of the season.

I hear ya Goose.  While I’m excited about all these additions, may take a little time is just reality.  As good as Dawson was at times last year, he clearly had growing pains. And he was much higher rated than the this group.

But I’m willing to hope they advance and adapt quickly. It’s certainly not a given they won’t do so.

Spirit Of James

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2021, 08:17:59 PM »
After reading about Kolek, sounds like he's in the mold of Travis Diener -outside shooter, facilitator, decision maker and tough.  Huge addition that will bring stability to the offense.

Shaka doing in several days what Wojo couldn't do in several years.

Ironic (or maybe not), as Shaka mentioned Diener several times in his intro presser and subsequent media interviews.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2021, 08:18:55 PM »
Muggsy

If those three come back they are very confident young men. It appears they may have been recruited over and maybe a couple times over.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2021, 08:19:49 PM »
Garcia and Bates or Perez and Dex/Greg??

I don't think Greg should get shafted.

Tat leaves Garcia and Bates or Perez and Dex. Hmmm, lemme think, lemme think.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2021, 08:20:00 PM »
He shoots a lot of triples.  I'm predicting we lose 2 players minimum.

Two current guards that play awful defense. I think you can put it together.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2021, 08:21:10 PM »
Hutch

Dawson played in a high school offense last season and hard to give a legit grade. I like Dawson, don’t love him, but he could thrive in a much quicker game on the offensive side of the court.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2021, 08:21:20 PM »

Sounds good to me!  Love it

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2021, 08:24:21 PM »
Mugs

Very optimistic, with or without Garcia. I think next year is going to resemble the resurgence we saw during the early KO years. A group of guys buying into being part of something special and that buy in will be the key to the process. Today was big day for the program.

TAMU noted in a post that we signed guys outside of the top 75 and on paper he is correct. That said, all rankings are not created equal. Guys that fit of system are key and it looks like every guy signed is a Shaka guy. Big difference over just signing guys.

Agreed.  I feel pretty damn good about the last two days.  We are thin up front but I think Shaka envisions a lot of switchables.  I also expect several of our Freshmen to be immediate impact guys.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2021, 08:24:43 PM »
Hutch

Dawson played in a high school offense last season and hard to give a legit grade.

I agree on that

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2021, 08:27:27 PM »
I don't think Greg should get shafted.

Tat leaves Garcia and Bates or Perez and Dex. Hmmm, lemme think, lemme think.

We don't have to lsoe anyone to keep Garcia
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2021, 08:29:04 PM »
Hutch

Not according to Kentucky fans.  They are fed up with Cal's reliance on one and dones.    Duke fans aren't enjoying K's pursuit of one and done's either.    I hope you are right and admire your optimism.    But until I see differently, young teams scare me.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2021, 08:33:13 PM »
This might be blasphemous but I think Shaka has already surpassed Wojo.  Even before playing a single game.  Remember most wars are won before they are ever fought.  I foresee next year as being a process but fully believe Shaka knows exactly what he's doing.  MU will ascend very quickly and it will be a beautiful thing.

feedback