collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: For All Of You Who Always Question Cottingham's Hiring Process...  (Read 2809 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
He landed a solid Volleyball coach in Bond Shymansky from Georgia Tech.  Welcome Bond!

Also congrats to Steve Cottingham on a job well done!

Georgia Tech posted an overall record of 172-64 (.729) during his tenure, including a 96-38 mark in the Atlantic Coast Conference. He concluded the 2008 campaign with the highest career winning percentage among active ACC coaches, a mark that ranked among the top-20 in the nation.

In seven seasons, Shymansky led Georgia Tech to the NCAA Sweet 16 (2003), the NCAA Elite 8 (2004), ACC Tournament Championship (2002) and ACC Regular Season Championship (2003 and 2004). He was named the league's coach of the year in 2004 after guiding the program to a 27-7 overall record and a perfect 16-0 conference campaign. He was also the AVCA East Region Coach of the Year that season as well

Individually, eight student-athletes have claimed All-America honors under his tutelage and 10 different players have earned a total of 21 All-ACC selections.A pair of Yellow Jackets were tabbed the ACC Player of the Year during his tenure and four players earned spots on the ACC All-Freshman Team.

Shymansky also helped collect several nationally ranked recruiting classes at Georgia Tech. Four of his seven classes have been ranked among the nation's top-25, led by the 2005 group, which was rated No. 4 by Volleyball Magazine and eighth by Prepvolleyball.com. While at Georgia Tech, he played a key role in signing multiple newcomers selected to the "Fab 50" by Volleyball Magazine.

http://gomarquette.cstv.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/121508aab.html

jce

Re: For All Of You Who Always Question Cottingham's Hiring Process...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »
Wow.  How the hell did they pull that off?  Did they want to come back to the midwest?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:39:32 PM »
Wow.  How the hell did they pull that off?  Did they want to come back to the midwest?

+1

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 05:45:16 PM »
Heh, I thought this was going to be about Auburn's hiring process when I clicked on it.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 06:49:41 PM »
Heh, I thought this was going to be about Auburn's hiring process when I clicked on it.

Ha. +1

nola03

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:19:20 PM »
He landed a solid Volleyball coach in Bond Shymansky from Georgia Tech.  Welcome Bond!

Also congrats to Steve Cottingham on a job well done!

http://gomarquette.cstv.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/121508aab.html

Isn't this Cottingham's second coaching hire?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:24:37 PM by nola03 »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 07:46:35 PM »
Isn't this Cottingham's second coaching hire?

I believe so. Buzz and Bond.  Louis Bennett came before he was named AD.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
This is getting a little odd
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 07:54:37 PM »
Nicely done.  I'd love to know why he's coming to MU who I don't believe has ever been to a NCAA tournament in volleyball.  He and his wife are from Iowa, so that does explain a lot.  Family bonds are strong and in this case it helps MU out.

He had just signed Urban Meyer's daughter to play at Tech.  I was reading that article last week.  Bond looks a bit like Tim Grogan.

Welcome to MU.

Some on the Georgia Tech board are speculating that he wasn't given a vote of confidence and forced to resign.  Some are saying he was fired.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=140&f=2938&t=3553300&p=2

Most there are not happy that he left, felt he was a good coach with a strong repoire with his team.  They wished him well.

EDIT:  Ok, so I go and read more about their board.  One of the principals is Theresa Wenzel, someone I went to school at with at MU.  Wenzel played hoops for MU.  She is the Senior Women's Administrator at Georgia Tech.  Small world.  Some are claiming she fired him....a MU graduate firing the Tech coach to become the MU coach.  Strange.  Don't know if any of this is true, just what the links say.  They aren't too happy about it, they seemed to like the guy.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:37:28 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 10:52:22 PM »
when he can put up a .729 win percentage, I don't blame them for being upset at his departure.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
Re: This is getting a little odd
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 08:15:49 AM »

He had just hired Urban Meyer's daughter to play at Tech. 

Hired?  Do you think the inevitable NCAA sanctions regarding, in this case apparently blatant, "pay for play" will follow him to Marquette?   ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: This is getting a little odd
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 11:37:09 AM »
Hired?  Do you think the inevitable NCAA sanctions regarding, in this case apparently blatant, "pay for play" will follow him to Marquette?   ;D

ooops.    :o  Will fix that

feedback