[May 10, 2024, 10:24:14 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Vander Blue Man Group
[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette EMBA  (Read 3403 times)

JTBMU7

• All American
Marquette EMBA
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »
I'm looking into some EMBA programs in the Chicago/Milwaukee area and curious if anyone on here has any insight into the MU exec program and what it's perception/value is in the area. Any info would be great, thanks.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Marquette EMBA
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »
Better than any in the Milwaukee area, but behind Northwestern, Notre Dame and Chicago.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »
What do you need it for and where are you located?  If you are in Milwaukee, and need it for a promotion, Marquette is a good choice, especially to help cut down on travel.  If you are looking to use it to advance your career nationally, Northwestern or U of C is a better option. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
FWIW, a friend of mine (MU alum to remain nameless) said UWM's EMBA program was better than MU's .. "hands down."

Admittedly, that was 3-4 years ago.  Maybe things have changed.

Not pleasant news.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:29:56 AM »
FWIW, a friend of mine (MU alum to remain nameless) said UWM's EMBA program was better than MU's .. "hands down."

Admittedly, that was 3-4 years ago.  Maybe things have changed.

Not pleasant news.

From a ratings perspective, this is what MU states on their website.

"You're only 17 months away from earning Milwaukee's only 2014 U.S. News & World Report Top 25 EMBA program degree with the Marquette EMBA. You will apply what you are learning to leadership challenges at work while earning your MBA degree."

Also a blurb on UWM   http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/print-edition/2011/05/06/uwm-school-of-business-aims-for-top-20.html?page=all

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:43:13 AM »
I don't think most employers care about how USN&WR ranks EMBA programs. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »
I don't think most employers care about how USN&WR ranks EMBA programs. 

I would tend to agree, though just throwing it out there that on a perception basis, MU's rates and UWM's doesn't.  At least by one standard. 

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 12:13:47 PM »
What do you need it for and where are you located?  If you are in Milwaukee, and need it for a promotion, Marquette is a good choice, especially to help cut down on travel.  If you are looking to use it to advance your career nationally, Northwestern or U of C is a better option. 

Agreed, if you're going national with your career, go with a national program.  I think you'd be silly to pass up U of C or Northwestern unless it's cost prohibitive or you do not get in.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 01:05:02 PM »
I'm part time in the MBA program at MU (not EMBA I know), but it's just so so.  I was expecting a lot more, but by all accounts way better than anything else local.  If you have a finance or entrepreneur focus you should be good, anything else is pretty blah.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 02:55:46 PM »
Indeed, no doubt MU's reputation is better than UWM's just on skin-deep name recognition.

Clearly, if true, and UWM's quality is better, that info gets around (locally.)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »
I'm not going to address the "school A vs. school B" issue, but I will say, and I cannot emphasize this enough, I strongly suggest that you talk to other people in your field (or desired field) who have an eMBA or MBA, and ask them what they would recommend or if they would do it again if the clocks were turned back.  The potential benefit of an eMBA vs. an MBA, or vice versa, or neither is going to vary widely depending on things like your education & experience but most importantly, your industry and the role you play (or want to play).

In my opinion, an MBA is most beneficial to someone that is educated & experienced in letters or science but needs a broader background in business concepts/theory/etc. to enrich and/or advance, for example an engineer or scientist who wants to take on more management responsibilities or needs to collaborate more with the "business folks" in their company.  For someone in this role, I would never recommend an eMBA.

An eMBA is most beneficial to someone who went to b-school & is stuck in the middle of their career and/or simply "needs a piece of paper" to advance any further up the food chain.  In all honesty, eMBAs are more about networking than they are academics.  Although such is also true for some MBA programs, eMBA programs are much more renowned for not even accepting you unless you have significant work experience (i.e. connections).

IIRC there are only two MBA programs in the country that require a thesis... U of Wyoming I believe is one, not sure about the other.  Suffice to say, an MBA curriculum usually isn't designed to be intensely academic; application of theory isn't as rigorous as it is in other masters programs.  So if you're interested in the academic side of business, e.g. you want to be a b-school professor or a high-level research-type for your company, then forego the MBA for an MS, or skip it altogether and go straight for the doctorate.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »
UWM's graduate programs at its Bschool are pretty respectable.  However, if given the choice I would still choose MU based on name recognition alone, even if UWM is ranked higher.  And clearly, if you have the opportunity to attend Northwestern or Chicago, then do so.