[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Billy Donovan - Out as Thunder Head Coach  (Read 18898 times)

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Re: Billy Donovan - Out as Thunder Head Coach
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2020, 03:12:05 PM »
Sorry what I wrote, the truth, offends your liberal "sensibilities."  Sorry you believe poor, uneducated people should be having children at rates higher than those who are educated.
I'm trying to remember what the belief that one group of people should be allowed to, or has the right to, procreate more than another group of people is called. Ethno chauvinism? Caste enthusiast? I'm sure there is a more direct word to describe your POV. Pretty "interesting" belief to tout though.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2020, 03:29:48 PM »

I don't think anyone made that argument, but OK.

Page 1.  You were making the argument.   And wades was throwing poo, as usual.

But you're right, again, and we'll all just move on.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2020, 03:31:00 PM »
Loan with no transfer fee.  Terrible analogy.

Major superstar goes to the little guy.  Perfect arguement.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2020, 03:39:52 PM »

Despite being new to the WSL, Spurs are by no means "the little guy".  Morgan's salary from the Pride (so non-endorsements) is reported at about 60K.  Whether or not the Pride could even field a team was in question due to  (I believe) 6 recent positive Covid tests.  Taking a year off is much less common for players than coaches due to the shorter window, not to mention that she took most of last season off because of her pregnancy, so she'd be taking two years off. None of this is even getting into the fact that soccer teams start 11 players while basketball teams only have one coach, or the major differences between collegiate and professional levels. 

I don't know enough about the coach hiring process to say whether or not MU should reach out to Donovan, which is why I hadn't commented in this thread until not, but I do know a bit about soccer and the details that go into player transfers, so I think that making the declaration

Perfect example:

is more than a bit of a stretch.  There may be good examples out there that support your case, this just isn't one of them.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2020, 03:40:02 PM »
Page 1.  You were making the argument. 

No...that's not the argument I was making.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2020, 03:41:11 PM »
So what? It’s a five minute (basically a courtesy) phone call. We put in much more effort than that on high school players who never even consider Marquette. As we should. Due diligence.

And I should call Gigi Hadid to see if she would be interested  ::)

Calling Billy Donovan when we don't have a vacancy, no prior connection, and no indications he'd even be interested isn't due diligence, it's ridiculous. If Doc Rivers was out of a job? Sure. Tony Bennett, who has local ties? I can see that. But calling Donovan...we might as well call Coach K for all the good it would do.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2020, 03:43:27 PM »
I'm trying to remember what the belief that one group of people should be allowed to, or has the right to, procreate more than another group of people is called. Ethno chauvinism? Caste enthusiast? I'm sure there is a more direct word to describe your POV. Pretty "interesting" belief to tout though.
Eugenics.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2020, 03:45:35 PM »

No it isn't.

Yours in an analogy as to why Wojo would recruit over a recent highly ranked recruit with an even higher one the next year.  Not for why you would attempt to hire Billy Donovan *unless you were committed to making a change in the first place.*
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2020, 04:01:16 PM »
Eugenics.
That's right! I wonder why it's not a widely popular approach?

*paging Dr. Godwin*

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2020, 04:25:14 PM »
Woodant it bee da chit if Woj actually wuz readin' dis? Ma has his cell number and should ring 'im up, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2020, 05:02:25 PM »
Ahh yes. The voices of reason making “perfect comparisons” by comparing women’s soccer players to an NBA coach fielding a call from a college program.

Perfect indeed! I wish I could be this reasonable.

Sheesh.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2020, 05:57:09 PM »
I agree with you Ziggy and this is one of the most 'scoopy' threads in a while.

Person 1: Donovan fired | Wojo/Nojo troll
Person 2: Give him a call
Person 3: Unrealistic but that would be cool
Flashmob:  You are dumb you cant call someone if you don't have an opening.  It will get leaked and bad things.

And then Chaos.

Frenns

Nailed it. Flash mob just arguing to be argumentative.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2020, 06:46:27 PM »
I agree with you Ziggy and this is one of the most 'scoopy' threads in a while.

Person 1: Donovan fired | Wojo/Nojo troll
Person 2: Give him a call
Person 3: Unrealistic but that would be cool
Flashmob:  You are dumb you cant call someone if you don't have an opening.  It will get leaked and bad things.

And then Chaos.

Not bad, but you forgot a couple of people:

Person 4: You're just a loser who doesn't understand really real-life reality.
Person 5: Something like this would never get leaked because reasons.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2020, 07:28:21 PM »
Yea.  That was me.  I took a swing at starting a business from the ground up and had a 7-year run.  Employed over 150 people in that time.  You learn a lot from actually doing.  The lessons were expensive, unfortunately.

Easy for lightweight guys who have never actually created one job through their own effort/capital to dis the efforts of those who have.

As for where I used to live - I took personal responsibility for my actions - lived well below the standard I could have.  Sorry what I wrote, the truth, offends your liberal "sensibilities."  Sorry you believe poor, uneducated people should be having children at rates higher than those who are educated.
Thoughts and prayers.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2020, 07:43:27 PM »

Sorry you don't understand the basic premise.  My opinion isn't race specific.  In my view, poor, uneducated people, should not be bringing kids into this world - particularly if they expect the same opportunities and lifestyle as those brought into the world by educated people - or at least people old enough to have a degree of common sense, and intention of accountability.

As for Billy Donovan...none of us who advocate for making the call think he'd come to MU, yet there is zero downside to making an inquiry.  If Wojo got mad because MU inquired (in the minute chance it would leak), he's too thin skinned to be a successful coach anyway - though I think he's shown his think skin multiple times. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2020, 07:45:10 PM »
Thoughts and prayers.

Rainbows and unicorns.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2020, 08:36:37 PM »
Sorry you don't understand the basic premise.  My opinion isn't race specific.  In my view, poor, uneducated people, should not be bringing kids into this world - particularly if they expect the same opportunities and lifestyle as those brought into the world by educated people - or at least people old enough to have a degree of common sense, and intention of accountability.

As for Billy Donovan...none of us who advocate for making the call think he'd come to MU, yet there is zero downside to making an inquiry.  If Wojo got mad because MU inquired (in the minute chance it would leak), he's too thin skinned to be a successful coach anyway - though I think he's shown his think skin multiple times.
Cool! So you are a Caste Enthusiast, thanks for clarifying that it isn't race based but based on the family to which someone was born. Do you call the people who shouldn't reproduce based on socioeconomic standards 'untouchables' like the Hindu/India caste system or do you have a christian name for that group?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2020, 08:43:51 PM »
Ners playing god. I knew it’d get here, I didn’t think it’d take Billy Donovan looking for other NBA jobs to not go through a rebuild to get there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2020, 08:57:34 PM »

Recruits here about the inquiry and don't commit to MU because they don't believe Wojos job is secure.

There's your downside.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2020, 09:38:12 PM »
Recruits here about the inquiry and don't commit to MU because they don't believe Wojos job is secure.

There's your downside.

Right.
It also provides negative recruiting fodder, gives commits reason to second-guess their decision and frays relationships between the coaching staff and administration (not just Wojo, but DK, Gainey, Presutti, etc., some or all of whom would probably be out of work just weeks before the season begins).
Even if there's only a tiny chance of any of that happening, it's still a billion times more likely than Billy Donovan coming to Marquette. I can't say enough, even if Donovan were interested, MU couldn't come close to meeting his asking price. He walked away from $6+ million at OKC. Even at a discount, MU probably couldn't afford him under normal circumstances, and definitely not in the middle of a pandemic when the school is staring down massive revenue losses.
To be cliche, the juice isn't worth the squeeze ... mostly because there's no juice.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2020, 09:53:25 PM »

There's your downside.

LOL. We’ve already been assured there’s a 0.00000% chance Donovan takes the call. The chances of losing a recruit over a phone call to an out of work future Hall of Fame coach that is never answered are as remote as the likelihood of Al McGuire rising from the dead and returning to the MU beach. So, not all that likely. But if we do, good riddance. If that recruit doesn’t want to play for Al, I don’t want him at MU.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2020, 10:23:29 PM »
LOL. We’ve already been assured there’s a 0.00000% chance Donovan takes the call. The chances of losing a recruit over a phone call to an out of work future Hall of Fame coach that is never answered are as remote as the likelihood of Al McGuire rising from the dead and returning to the MU beach. So, not all that likely. But if we do, good riddance. If that recruit doesn’t want to play for Al, I don’t want him at MU.

Your opinion is that recruits don't care about the head coach they commit to? Or if that coach will be there throughout their time at the school?

Again, in my scenario, a recruit hears MU is reaching out to coaching prospects. You don't think that would be interpreted negatively?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2020, 10:35:25 PM »

When your talking points devolve to "I don't want a recruit who won't play for Zombie Al McGuire!" ... then perhaps it's time to log off for the night.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2020, 01:12:17 PM »
Cool! So you are a Caste Enthusiast, thanks for clarifying that it isn't race based but based on the family to which someone was born. Do you call the people who shouldn't reproduce based on socioeconomic standards 'untouchables' like the Hindu/India caste system or do you have a christian name for that group?

I should clarify. I don't have an issue with poor, uneducated people having kids, IF there is an actual FAMILY structure present.  The reality is, that is very commonplace in 1st generation Hispanics in America.  Yet for some odd reason Hispanics don't seem to endure all of the drama and problems faced by American born Blacks.  Hispanic culture, IMO is one that should be admired and modeled - love, and accountability to family first and foremost above all else.

I know most liberals usually are looking for ways to be triggered, but perhaps you should consider taking a less emotional view/reaction.  But I'm sure you'll probably #resist.

• All American
« Reply #124 on: September 12, 2020, 01:30:13 PM »
I should clarify. I don't have an issue with poor, uneducated people having kids, IF there is an actual FAMILY structure present.  The reality is, that is very commonplace in 1st generation Hispanics in America.  Yet for some odd reason Hispanics don't seem to endure all of the drama and problems faced by American born Blacks.  Hispanic culture, IMO is one that should be admired and modeled - love, and accountability to family first and foremost above all else.

I know most liberals usually are looking for ways to be triggered, but perhaps you should consider taking a less emotional view/reaction.  But I'm sure you'll probably #resist.

You calling someone else “triggered” made me lol.