'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Besides Buzz, how many coaches were formally interviewed?

28 (65.1%)
7 (16.3%)
3 (7%)
3 (7%)
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: How many candidates were interviewed?  (Read 2854 times)

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
How many candidates were interviewed?
« on: April 08, 2008, 07:21:14 AM »
I had a sinking feeling after it appeared that Buzz was the leading candidate on Saturday per Rosiaks article.  The reason: I did not feel that we even had interviewed, not considered, but formally interviewed other candidates.  For a job as important as this, there should be a formal national search and I feel that at least 4 candidates should be formally interviewed.

I think the number of others was unfortunately 0.

muarmy81

• All American
Re: How many candidates were interviewed?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 07:31:13 AM »
If this is true then cottingham failed to do his job.  I know everyone is upset with this hire but if cottingham did his due diligence and felt buzz was best for the program then I'll see how bizz turns out but if he just hired buzz out of fear I think we'll need to start looking for a new AD as well as another head coach

jce

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 07:51:11 AM »
I had a sinking feeling after it appeared that Buzz was the leading candidate on Saturday per Rosiaks article.  The reason: I did not feel that we even had interviewed, not considered, but formally interviewed other candidates.  For a job as important as this, there should be a formal national search and I feel that at least 4 candidates should be formally interviewed.

I really don't think you "interview" coaches in the traditional sense in that they come to campus to meet with a committee, etc.  I believe the process is that you contact their agent, or other go-betweens, and test out a candidate's interest before you even talk with them.  And by the time you talk with them, you basically have already selected your candidate.

So I would say the answer is 0, but mostly because that's just how it is done.

pittisit98

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:43:10 AM »
I think that's a pretty accurate assessment of how "interviews" go these days.  You send out feelers and see if you get any bites.  You contact agents, intermediaries, go-betweens, brothers-in-law and dangle the "possibility" in front of your candidates.  God forbid you offer the job to someone and they turn you down, then you're left with your second choice, or third, or fourth, etc.

Once you have an idea who's available AND INTERESTED (interested IS a biggie) you may conduct some type of interview..face to face or phone, or even Instant Messenger ;D.

In today's information age, it's not difficult to find out who's talking to who and who's pursuing another gig.  Also, interviewing candidates simply to placate fans, alumni, boosters and simply a waste of time, and leaves those who were interviewed simply to make it look like a comprehensive search was performed feel used.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 11:10:12 AM »
you guys are probably right as to how the interview process works.  That begs the question then as to how do you select your targets if not through the interview process?  In other words, there should be some objective criteria which you use to select your targets to send out feelers to.  This also begs the question as to whether Buzz would have met those criteria.  Also, it suggests since he was in the ADs office and had an interview he probably was able to influence the "green" AD and convinced him to hire him.  I think the point is that he got undue consideration because he spent 8 months at MU (and happened to be present at Crean's departure) and other, obviously more qualified candidates did not get the same consideration.  i simply do not accept every possible coach mentioned on the list rejected the offer.   C'mon people, Brownell is a much better choice, objectively speaking and he rejected a chance to move from Akron?!!!!  i don't buy it. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »

I really don't think you "interview" coaches in the traditional sense in that they come to campus to meet with a committee, etc.  I believe the process is that you contact their agent, or other go-betweens, and test out a candidate's interest before you even talk with them.  And by the time you talk with them, you basically have already selected your candidate.

ding ding ding.  we have a winner.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 03:38:38 PM »

ding ding ding.  we have a winner.

Exactly. The key qualifier is the word "formally." They certainly reached out to people, but I'll be Buzz was the only one who got an honest-to-God sit down interview.
We Are Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 03:44:43 PM »
I have to say, I'm more convinced than ever that he's in way over his head. Absolutely NOTHING indicates he's up to the task or prepared for this role. Nothing.

Are there really people on this board who think that press conference was cause for celebration? I think it was huge downer.

I really think it's going to be a disaster on a Bob Dukiet scale. Sorry.

feedback