collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 09:36:37 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:48:19 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: National Park Opinions  (Read 18087 times)

warriorOregon

• Walk-On
Re: National Park Opinions
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2016, 12:25:18 PM »
Crater Lake in Southern Oregon.  Nothing like it

Yosemite is the best overall.

warriorOregon

• Walk-On
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »
Good to see the same 2 or 3 dlckheads making this political, complaining about salaries, life not being fair.  Nothing changes. Same 2 or 3, every time. 

Great job.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2016, 12:59:43 PM »

I need to get to both.  Never been to either.  Very high on the bucket list.  I hit two brand new ones (to me) this year in Great Sandunes in Colorado and Great Basin in Nevada. The former might be the newest lower 48 NP.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2016, 01:15:44 PM »
Couple more quick comments about the RV thing.  While it truly is a wonderful adventure, it's best experienced at a slower pace than the traditional car/motel alternative.  So instead of 500+ miles followed by a 2 star Super 8 (especially on the boring part) you might get 350 miles with time for camp set-up.  That works wonderfully if one is committing 3-4 weeks, not 10 days. 

Right now every Spring and Fall I one-way drive between our two homes ostensibly to 'store' our convertible for the winter out in Vegas. (One way SWA ticket for other half of trip.)  Each time I take a different route and catch the sights along the way.  But I do have to be a little careful about weather.  Our little convertible is definitely allergic to snow!  I find a pretty nice pace at about 4-5 days. 3-4 nights but have done it in as short at 3/2. 

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2016, 02:58:07 PM »
Check out national forests instead of the parks. Way less crowd and a bit more rustic
Fear makes you dumb.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »
Check out national forests instead of the parks. Way less crowd and a bit more rustic

I absolutely love national forests but they are, well, how do I say it?  Forests.

(But my absolute favorite place to camp.)

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »
I absolutely love national forests but they are, well, how do I say it?  Forests.

Obviously you can't see the forest for the trees.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2016, 05:20:20 PM »
Good to see the same 2 or 3 dlckheads making this political, complaining about salaries, life not being fair.  Nothing changes. Same 2 or 3, every time. 

Great job.

Hey Jamie.

Now....in before the lock.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2016, 05:32:55 PM »

Chicos, Bandon Beach or Cannon Beach?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »

Especially if you are into camping and hiking. Solitude!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2016, 06:32:10 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:10:53 PM by Coleman »

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2016, 09:27:12 PM »

Olympic.  Best of both worlds.

A few years back, I read a study about a guy trying to find places with the least amount of noise pollution.  His lowest measurement in the U.S. was taken somewhere on the peninsula.  Ergo, science proves that Olympic is the most pristine of all the national parks.

Fair warning, if you go hiking in Hoh or Quinnault, bring five changes of clothes.  It's not called "temperate rainforest" for nothing.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2016, 09:03:23 AM »

Agree 100%! Looking straight down some 4000 ft into the valley from Glacier point without any railing is not for the faint of heart. Then there are the giant redwoods.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2016, 09:13:59 AM »
Agree 100%! Looking straight down some 4000 ft into the valley from Glacier point without any railing is not for the faint of heart. Then there are the giant redwoods.

Our daughter lives in Seattle. Next summer, we hope to fly into San Fran and drive up the coast to her. Redwoods, Oregon Coast, etc. If that trip actually is gonna happen, I might be right back here asking for advice!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2016, 09:43:08 AM »
You ever try to buy Oxy on the street? Much cheaper getting it this way.

Are you raiding your wife's coworkers' cabinets or your wife's coworkers' teenage daughters' cabinets?

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2016, 09:43:50 AM »
Our daughter lives in Seattle. Next summer, we hope to fly into San Fran and drive up the coast to her. Redwoods, Oregon Coast, etc. If that trip actually is gonna happen, I might be right back here asking for advice!

+1.  I think my next big trip will be either Memorial or Labor Day of next year, going from Yosemite up to the Portland area (or from Portland down to Yosemite).  I did Seattle to Portland to San Fran last year but didn't make a lot of stops along the way.  I'd like to do Yosemite up to Crater Lake then over to Bandon Beach, Smith Rock, Multnomah Falls, Cannon Beach and Oneonta Gorge.  (Bolded spots are ones that we made it to last year)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2016, 10:00:19 AM »
+1.  I think my next big trip will be either Memorial or Labor Day of next year, going from Yosemite up to the Portland area (or from Portland down to Yosemite).  I did Seattle to Portland to San Fran last year but didn't make a lot of stops along the way.  I'd like to do Yosemite up to Crater Lake then over to Bandon Beach, Smith Rock, Multnomah Falls, Cannon Beach and Oneonta Gorge.  (Bolded spots are ones that we made it to last year)

Last fall my fiancee flew into Seattle, rented a car, went ot Willamette, tasted pinot, attended a family member's wedding there, did a day in Portland eating and hitting breweries, got up and went out to Bridal Veil falls (short hike) and hiked to the top of Multnomah Falls (slightly longer, but mostly a lot of elevation gain), spent another night in Portland then got up and drove to Mt. Ranier, hiked, and continued on to spend a couple days in Seattle and flew home.

Hiking around Mt. Ranier was awesome. I wish we had more time to go further up, but we were pressed for time. Multnomah Falls was *busy* but as you hike up the crowds thin out more and more. Bridal Veil was more or less empty, and was definitely worth it.

We wanted to do Crater Lake, but a lot of it was closed due to wildfires.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2016, 10:07:05 AM »
Last spring we did Arizona. Flew into Phoenix, borrowed a friend's car, drove up to the Grand Canyon, drove along the South Rim Road to the east, did a very small amount of hiking, watched the sunset from Desert View Watchtower (totally worth it). Then we drove up to Page to crash, woke up to watch the sunrise over Horseshoe Bend (absolutely worth the early morning), and did Antelope Canyon. Then we drove back, watched the sun set on the Grand Canyon again (actually twice more, because we saw it set then went a lookout to the west that was higher elevation and saw it happen again). Then back to Phoenix for Spring Training and a hike of Camelback Mountain.

That was one of the best trips of my life, we need to get into shape and take a couple days hiking down into the Canyon, which we didn't get a chance to do because of the fast pace of the trip. Make you hit Grandview Point and Desert View Watchtower if you're on the South Rim.

Antelope Canyon was awesome, but crowded. You need to buy tour tickets ahead and depending on what time you go you may not see the "sunbeams" that are so famously pictured.

Horseshoe Bend was spectacular. I put my front foot and the front foot of a tripod on the edge of a cliff that was a 100% fatality of we fell, the pictures are spectacular.

Camelback was great too. Some crazy people run it, like at a jog. That's a great way for me to fall off the mountain.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2016, 10:11:01 AM »
Last fall my fiancee flew into Seattle, rented a car, went ot Willamette, tasted pinot, attended a family member's wedding there, did a day in Portland eating and hitting breweries, got up and went out to Bridal Veil falls (short hike) and hiked to the top of Multnomah Falls (slightly longer, but mostly a lot of elevation gain), spent another night in Portland then got up and drove to Mt. Ranier, hiked, and continued on to spend a couple days in Seattle and flew home.

Hiking around Mt. Ranier was awesome. I wish we had more time to go further up, but we were pressed for time. Multnomah Falls was *busy* but as you hike up the crowds thin out more and more. Bridal Veil was more or less empty, and was definitely worth it.

We wanted to do Crater Lake, but a lot of it was closed due to wildfires.

We did not do either Ranier or Hood when we were out there.  We couldn't even see Hood when we were in Portland, but had an awesome view of Ranier from our hotel.

We did the hike up to the top of Multnomah Falls as well.  We weren't planning on it (we got into Portland mid afternoon and were only staying the night before continuing on our drive to San Francisco), but the signs said something like up to the bridge was 0.5 mile and to the top of the falls was 1 mile or something, so we went to the bridge and it took very little time, so we thought, "Hey, the sign said it's only twice that far to the top of the falls, we might as well continue on!"  We definitely did not pace ourselves like most people did going up the falls, and were definitely winded when we got to the top.

Never heard of Bridal Veil.  Will have to look into that.  Thanks.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2016, 10:12:16 AM »
Last summer did Colorado,

Drove the main road through Rocky Mountain National Park. Didn't have time to do any hiking though. Highly recommend it and I want to get back to do some hiking there.

We drove to the top of Pike's Peak, which was pretty neat. I feel bad for my rental car, which was definitely not the finest mountain-driving vehicle ever made.

Keefe, we stopped by USAFA, which is absolutely breathtaking. I have no children at the moment, and besides MU, USAFA is where I want them to go. The Cathedral is show stopping. The area is gorgeous. We watched a promotional video about students there, and it seems like the finest education to be had. It's a 100% must see spot.

We drove through the Garden of the Gods, which was pretty neat too. Got some great barbecue around there too, but I can't remember the place's name. It was a total dive. Delicious.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »
Last spring we did Arizona. Flew into Phoenix, borrowed a friend's car, drove up to the Grand Canyon, drove along the South Rim Road to the east, did a very small amount of hiking, watched the sunset from Desert View Watchtower (totally worth it). Then we drove up to Page to crash, woke up to watch the sunrise over Horseshoe Bend (absolutely worth the early morning), and did Antelope Canyon. Then we drove back, watched the sun set on the Grand Canyon again (actually twice more, because we saw it set then went a lookout to the west that was higher elevation and saw it happen again). Then back to Phoenix for Spring Training and a hike of Camelback Mountain.

That was one of the best trips of my life, we need to get into shape and take a couple days hiking down into the Canyon, which we didn't get a chance to do because of the fast pace of the trip. Make you hit Grandview Point and Desert View Watchtower if you're on the South Rim.

Antelope Canyon was awesome, but crowded. You need to buy tour tickets ahead and depending on what time you go you may not see the "sunbeams" that are so famously pictured.

Horseshoe Bend was spectacular. I put my front foot and the front foot of a tripod on the edge of a cliff that was a 100% fatality of we fell, the pictures are spectacular.

Camelback was great too. Some crazy people run it, like at a jog. That's a great way for me to fall off the mountain.

Last summer did Colorado,

Drove the main road through Rocky Mountain National Park. Didn't have time to do any hiking though. Highly recommend it and I want to get back to do some hiking there.

We drove to the top of Pike's Peak, which was pretty neat. I feel bad for my rental car, which was definitely not the finest mountain-driving vehicle ever made.

Keefe, we stopped by USAFA, which is absolutely breathtaking. I have no children at the moment, and besides MU, USAFA is where I want them to go. The Cathedral is show stopping. The area is gorgeous. We watched a promotional video about students there, and it seems like the finest education to be had. It's a 100% must see spot.

We drove through the Garden of the Gods, which was pretty neat too. Got some great barbecue around there too, but I can't remember the place's name. It was a total dive. Delicious.

I'm hating you right now.  These sound like awesome trips with a lot of places on my bucket list.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2016, 10:18:56 AM »
I'm hating you right now.  These sound like awesome trips with a lot of places on my bucket list.

Sorry. This summer (wedding-related stuff) has had lots less National Parks, or really lots less of pretty much everything.

Hearing everyone talk about the South Dakota spots, has me itching to drive out there though. Maybe in spring.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2016, 10:42:48 AM »

Sounds cool.

We'd really like to do Yosemite, but I don't think we'd have time on this trip.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2016, 10:43:12 AM »
We did not do either Ranier or Hood when we were out there.  We couldn't even see Hood when we were in Portland, but had an awesome view of Ranier from our hotel.

We did the hike up to the top of Multnomah Falls as well.  We weren't planning on it (we got into Portland mid afternoon and were only staying the night before continuing on our drive to San Francisco), but the signs said something like up to the bridge was 0.5 mile and to the top of the falls was 1 mile or something, so we went to the bridge and it took very little time, so we thought, "Hey, the sign said it's only twice that far to the top of the falls, we might as well continue on!"  We definitely did not pace ourselves like most people did going up the falls, and were definitely winded when we got to the top.

Never heard of Bridal Veil.  Will have to look into that.  Thanks.

Wades, there's a number of waterfalls off of the old highway.  I'm guessing you pulled straight into the Multnomah parking lot off of I-84.  If you get off at the exit for Corbett (coming from Portland), you'll get the spectacular view from Crown Point before driving by dozens of waterfall options: Latourell, Bridal Veil, Horsetail, and my personal favorite, the sparsely-visited Elowah Falls.

BTW, do not do this on a holiday weekend.  I took my wife and some friends out to Willamette wine country over Memorial weekend.  Traffic at Multnomah Falls was so bad that I let them out 1/2 mile from the falls.  By the time I got there in the car, they had hiked to the falls, milled about for 15-20 minutes, and were waiting at the curb to hop back in.

If you only hit up one mountain, I'd recommend St. Helens.  An hour off of I-5, you get a great view of the three highest peaks in the Oregon/Washington Cascades (Rainier to the north, Hood to the south, Adams to the east) and an incredibly unique ecology due to the relatively recent eruption 36 years ago.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2016, 11:01:03 AM »
Has anyone done both Madeline Island and Mackinac?  How do they compare?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.