[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Noskowiak released from NLI  (Read 78549 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Noskowiak released from NLI
« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2015, 03:56:40 PM »
If you don't feel like dragging it out here, mind pm'ing me? The whole situation just seems weird.

same
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »
If you don't feel like dragging it out here, mind pm'ing me? The whole situation just seems weird.

Are you trying to get me killed?

:D I'll pm you.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2015, 03:58:29 PM »

Regardless of Marquette's public statement, I was told that he requested his release the first week in February. 

And did that person mention the reason why he requested his release?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2015, 04:00:41 PM »
And did that person mention the reason why he requested his release?

No. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2015, 04:01:39 PM »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2015, 04:07:35 PM »
Are you trying to get me killed?

:D I'll pm you.

I'd like to get that info
No Finish Line

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2015, 04:10:22 PM »
You should have mail.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2015, 09:43:25 AM »
Cal Thinks they are the leader for NN's services.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2015/2/21/8078769/cal-basketball-recruiting-scouting-report-nick-noskowiak

They also think these are mere "yellow flags"

1) Leaving school
2) Being treated for depression
3) Accusing his father of abuse
4) Returning to school and the team but the coach will not play him

Good luck to Cal.  Remember their coach is Cuonzo Martin, who interviewed for MU's job.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »
The more I hear about this kid, the happier I am that he's in MU's rearview mirror.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2015, 11:17:20 AM »
Cal Thinks they are the leader for NN's services.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2015/2/21/8078769/cal-basketball-recruiting-scouting-report-nick-noskowiak

They also think these are mere "yellow flags"

1) Leaving school
2) Being treated for depression
3) Accusing his father of abuse
4) Returning to school and the team but the coach will not play him

Good luck to Cal.  Remember their coach is Cuonzo Martin, who interviewed for MU's job.

I agree with the comments that it just might be best for him to get out of Wisconsin.  Martin is a good coach.  Probably worth it for him to take a flyer on him.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2015, 11:26:12 AM »
The more I hear about this kid, the happier I am that he's in MU's rearview mirror.

Definitely agree.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2015, 11:26:58 AM »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2015, 11:29:56 AM »
Really?

Martin is a very good coach. The knock on him has always been recruiting.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2015, 11:34:53 AM »
Martin is a very good coach. The knock on him has always been recruiting.

Well I'd say recruiting has to count a lot in evaluating a college coach. 

And accomplishments on his resume is a sweet 16 run.  Period.  He has Cal in eighth place in a very ordinary Pac 12 with the exception of Arizona. 

So, please explain what he's demonstrated that he's a good or very good coach?  One Sweet 16?  The coaching graveyard is littered with coaches who had one aberrational NCAA run.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2015, 11:53:26 AM »
Well I'd say recruiting has to count a lot in evaluating a college coach. 

And accomplishments on his resume is a sweet 16 run.  Period.  He has Cal in eighth place in a very ordinary Pac 12 with the exception of Arizona. 

So, please explain what he's demonstrated that he's a good or very good coach?  One Sweet 16?  The coaching graveyard is littered with coaches who had one aberrational NCAA run.

So you mean not being able to get Cal to 2nd place in an average conference in his first season at Cal means he's a terrible coach?  Well, then, Wojo SUCKS!  And Wojo doesn't even have a S16 to go along with it!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2015, 12:04:36 PM »
So you mean not being able to get Cal to 2nd place in an average conference in his first season at Cal means he's a terrible coach?  Well, then, Wojo SUCKS!  And Wojo doesn't even have a S16 to go along with it!

OMG, this is ridiculous - tell me about their depleted, short-handed roster going into the season and how it only got worse at the end of first semester, pre-conference?  Tell me how they were picked to be at the bottom of the Pac 12 - they were picked about 5th.  Tell me about what a poor program he inherited from that hack coach Mike Montgomery.

His season at Cal is just one example I grabbed.

Should I go on about his aberrational Sweet 16?  Sneaking in to the field and selected for the play-in games in Dayton.  Having the good fortune to draw UMass and Mercer after winning in Dayton, thus avoiding Duke, who 9 times out of 10 beats Mercer (that being the beauty of the NCAA tournament).

Of course, there is his Collegeinsider.com title.  Whoa, you're right, I do need to rethink my position on him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2015, 12:10:58 PM »
OMG, this is ridiculous - tell me about their depleted, short-handed roster going into the season and how it only got worse at the end of first semester, pre-conference?  Tell me how they were picked to be at the bottom of the Pac 12 - they were picked about 5th.  Tell me about what a poor program he inherited from that hack coach Mike Montgomery.

His season at Cal is just one example I grabbed.

Should I go on about his aberrational Sweet 16?  Sneaking in to the field and selected for the play-in games in Dayton.  Having the good fortune to draw UMass and Mercer after winning in Dayton, thus avoiding Duke, who 9 times out of 10 beats Mercer (that being the beauty of the NCAA tournament).

Of course, there is his Collegeinsider.com title.  Whoa, you're right, I do need to rethink my position on him.

Any time there is a coaching change there are going to be bumps in the road.  To use a coach's first season in a program as proof that he can't coach just ruins any point you try to make.

Trying to discount what he did on a S16 run is also silly.  You can't take away credit because the higher seeded team lost the game before they would've played them.  You play whoever happens to fall in your way.  He pulled off a first round upset.  Should we discredit our S16, S16, E8 because we snuck in and pulled off 2 upsets for 1 of them and then had to make a minor miracle of a comeback in another 1 of them?  I hope we don't have to discredit 2 of those 3 years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2015, 12:17:48 PM »
Any time there is a coaching change there are going to be bumps in the road.  To use a coach's first season in a program as proof that he can't coach just ruins any point you try to make.

Trying to discount what he did on a S16 run is also silly.  You can't take away credit because the higher seeded team lost the game before they would've played them.  You play whoever happens to fall in your way.  He pulled off a first round upset.  Should we discredit our S16, S16, E8 because we snuck in and pulled off 2 upsets for 1 of them and then had to make a minor miracle of a comeback in another 1 of them?  I hope we don't have to discredit 2 of those 3 years.

Has Cal performed below expectations this sesason?  Yes.  They lost two guys of note from last years team.  TWO!!!!  So it's his first seasons there, so what??   That doesn't doom a program who is sufficiently setup for success as Montgomery left that program.  Montgomery did not leave behind a team that should be in eighth place in a very mediocre conference.

And as I said, the coaching graveyard of college basketball is littered with guys who had their one aberrational run.  It's all about matchups in the NCAA tournament for the vast majority of the field every year.   You draw the right matchups and you might advance and win a couple.  That's all they did, it was hardly superior coaching.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2015, 12:26:07 PM »
Has Cal performed below expectations this sesason?  Yes.  They lost two guys of note from last years team.  TWO!!!!  So it's his first seasons there, so what??   That doesn't doom a program who is sufficiently setup for success as Montgomery left that program.  Montgomery did not leave behind a team that should be in eighth place in a very mediocre conference.

And as I said, the coaching graveyard of college basketball is littered with guys who had their one aberrational run.  It's all about matchups in the NCAA tournament for the vast majority of the field every year.   You draw the right matchups and you might advance and win a couple.  That's all they did, it was hardly superior coaching.

Not that it matters since, again, there will always be bumps in the road when a new coach takes over a program, but it looks to me like last year's Cal team was an NIT team and this year's Cal team is an NIT team.  So I'm not sure where you get the idea that they were "sufficiently set up."  It looks like Martin is taking them just as far as a guy you apparently think is a legend did just last season.  Martin doesn't have his players, the Cal players are learning a new system, etc.  There will always be bumps in the road when a new coach takes over, especially when it's not a coach who has already coached in that program or with the former coach.  At least when that is the case the culture and the system typically stays relatively similar to what it has been.

And I'm not sure I would say the run was "hardly superior coaching."  In order to "sneak into the field" Tennessee won 5 of its last 6 games and the only loss came by 7 to #1 Florida.  They then won a tough play in game in overtime against Iowa, and then went beat 6th seeded UMASS by 20 as the 11 seed.  UMASS was favored and Martin's Tennesee team won by 20.  They also then beat Mercer, coming off a win over Duke, by 20 points, and lost by 2 to Michigan in the S16.  They were very close to an Elite 8 and who knows what happens from there.  I'd say Martin had his guys playing pretty darn well going down the stretch run of last season, when it mattered most.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »
I didn't say he was a great coach...I said he is a "good coach."

And he is.  He took over a poor Missouri State team and lead them to a conference title in three years.  He went to Tennessee, dealing with the Pearl sanctions, and got them to the S16 in his third year.

Is he a mid-major coach who caught lightning in a bottle at Tennessee?  Or can he lead a major program once he has been there awhile?  We will see.  Regardless, he is a "good coach."

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2015, 12:36:50 PM »
Not that it matters since, again, there will always be bumps in the road when a new coach takes over a program, but it looks to me like last year's Cal team was an NIT team and this year's Cal team is an NIT team.  So I'm not sure where you get the idea that they were "sufficiently set up."  It looks like Martin is taking them just as far as a guy you apparently think is a legend did just last season. 

So as evidence that Martin is a good coach, the fact that he has Cal positioned for the NIT, as they were last year, proves your case?!?!?  He hardly inherited a bare or depleted cupboard.  They were picked at least two spots higher, in some cases, three spots higher in conference than they currently stand with only a few games left.  

You apparently are easily pleased with NCAA tournament success, because Tennessee's last year was one big yawn.  They were getting throttled by Michigan by the way for two thirds of that game, and made a late run.  As I stated, it's about matchups in the NCAA's, which Tennessee had some great draws, period.  

By the way, how did Martin's other NCAA tourney appearances turn out for Mo. State and UT?  ::)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
I didn't say he was a great coach...I said he is a "good coach."

And he is.  He took over a poor Missouri State team and lead them to a conference title in three years.  He went to Tennessee, dealing with the Pearl sanctions, and got them to the S16 in his third year.

Is he a mid-major coach who caught lightning in a bottle at Tennessee?  Or can he lead a major program once he has been there awhile?  We will see.  Regardless, he is a "good coach."

Where are you getting that I quoted you saying he's a "great coach"?  I know what you and others said, and have quoted positions accurately. 

"lighting in a bottle"!   That was lightning?  More like a brief clap of thunder.

Your last statement - "mid-major coach...lightning in a bottle" @ UT vs. "lead a major program once he has been there awhile" (boy, you really set the bar high with that question, didn't you!), you answer with wait and see, then follow that up with maintaining he is a good coach?   Talk about positively maybe statements.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #197 on: February 22, 2015, 01:05:08 PM »
You responded "Really?" when I said he is a "good coach."

He *is* a good coach.  I was never claiming more than that. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2015, 01:10:39 PM »
You responded "Really?" when I said he is a "good coach."

He *is* a good coach.  I was never claiming more than that. 

Yeah, I know.  So thanks for confirming I never misquoted you.

And why you said I did in the first place will I guess forever be a mystery because you have no credible response.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2015, 01:14:05 PM »
Yeah, I know.  So thanks for confirming I never misquoted you.

And why you said I did in the first place will I guess forever be a mystery because you have no credible response.

OK, you are just arguing for sake of it.

I was simply responding to your "really?" with substantive information.  Next time I will keep the data out of my response and just say "yes."  One syllable...three letters...should be easy for you.

Until then...argue away.