collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

What All-Star Game Do You Most PLAN BEFORE To Watch?

NFL Pro-Bowl
1 (2.6%)
NBA All-Star Game
1 (2.6%)
NHL All-Stars
0 (0%)
MLB All-Star Game
11 (28.9%)
I don't PLAN BEFORE to watch any but will stop and watch if channel surfing when it's on
19 (50%)
I don't PLAN BEFORE to watch any but will NOT watch even if channel surfing when it's on
6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Poll: Do You Watch All-Star Games  (Read 5072 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Poll: Do You Watch All-Star Games
« on: January 28, 2017, 07:04:15 PM »
Since tomorrow (Sunday) is the Pro-Bowl ... I'm curious as to how you view all-star games.

I took the last option ...I don't plan to watch them and often don't watch them even when I'm in front of the TV and they are on.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Poll: Do You Watch All-Star Games
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 08:45:32 PM »
So yo, obviously no one gives a chit ether 'bout da games or dis thread, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 09:20:27 PM »
So yo, obviously no one gives a chit ether 'bout da games or dis thread, hey?

I agree ... since few want to even open this thread and answer the question might show how little they care about games like the pro-bowl.

Let me try this ...

The reason no one cares is they don't matter and no one actually tries.  At least in pre-season football their are rookies and free agents trying to make the team.

What I will actually watch is skills competitions like the home run derby and slam dunk competition.  At least they try at them.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:23:17 PM by Yukon Cornelius »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:26:56 PM »
Now that the dunk contest is good again, I try to watch if I remember too.  I don't watch any other part of the NBA AS game.

I also try to watch the MLB AS game if I remember to. 

I haven't watched the Pro-Bowl since I was 12.  I don't know anyone who watches the Pro-Bowl.  Nobody.  Contrast that with friends of mine who go out of the way to watch the MLB AS game, and a smaller group who will want to watch the NBA AS game.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 10:55:26 PM »
MLB, NBA, and NHL all star games at least resemble a real game. The probowl should just end...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 10:57:29 PM »
All Star games used to be watched because you could see players that you normally didn't get much of a chance to see.  Now you can see anyone play whenever you want.  No longer special. 

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 01:41:59 PM »
While NFL is my favorite pro sport, the other sports' skills contests are way better to watch. Dunk contest, 3 pt contest, home run derby, etc.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »
Maybe silly, but I like watching the MLB All Star game because the game actually means something. Determines home field advantage in the World Series. I feel like the players take it more seriously.

The NBA all star game is fun just because of how mind blowingly athletic some of the plays are. But it does get old by the end of the game.

I don't watch hockey.

The Pro Bowl is a joke and always has been.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 03:31:11 PM »
Don't ever plan on a ny of them, but I'll watch a bit of the NHL to see how the wacky format is going.  I have never watched a minute of the pro bowl; used to watch the dunk contest 20 years ago, never the game; baseball I watched the HR contest during peak roid era, but don't watch the game (maybe I'll be able to watch the HR contest again if that gasbag really retires).

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 04:54:46 PM »
Before inter league play and free agency the baseball All Star game was fun to watch. Not so much any more. Wasn't the first one kind of a lark as it was sort of an extra attraction during the Chicago Worlds Fair.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »
Maybe silly, but I like watching the MLB All Star game because the game actually means something. Determines home field advantage in the World Series.

Nope. Not anymore, thankfully.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 07:05:23 PM »
Any y'all watchin' Miss Universe and wanna handicap da field? I'm goin' wit France, hey?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:55:50 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 08:27:53 AM »
The Baseball All Star game in the 60s and early 70s was fun back in the pre cable pre internet era. It provided the opportunity to see many of the stars whose teams were not featured in the game of the week. Some great pitcher batter match ups.

The NBA weekend is the best of the modern all star games .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »
NBA has the best overall weekend.

The skills challenges/home run derby are usually better than the game for all sports, but I need to DVR and watch later because it all goes way too slow. The NFL introduced a skills contest this year, but I heard it was mediocre.

I'll watch most of the NBA/NHL/MLB games. I didn't generally watch the old NHL format.

How my teams are doing and represented plays a role in how much I want to watch.

I haven't watched any of the Pro Bowl in probably 15 years.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »
Nope. Not anymore, thankfully.

Really? Shows how much I pay attention. Welp, looks like I can go back to watching Netflix that night!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 10:36:56 AM »
Really? Shows how much I pay attention. Welp, looks like I can go back to watching Netflix that night!

I absolutely hated the All-Star Game/World Series home-field advantage connection.

So, some Twins pitcher throws a meatball to some Padres infielder, whose hard grounder is booted by some Tigers infielder (perhaps a replacement for a real All-Star who was injured), letting the winning run score in an exhibition game ... that determines who gets home-field advantage for the single most important game of the entire season?

You actually liked that rule, TAMU? I'm surprised about that!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
I watched a rerun of Moonshiners last night instead of the Pro Bowl.  Think that answers the question.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 12:16:26 PM »
I only watch the MLB All-Star game because that is the only one where the players on the field/court are going full out to win.  The managers may be more concerned with getting everyone in, but the players are going full-throttle on both offense and defense.

I've heard people say the NBA All-Star game is a like a pickup game, but that is an insult to pick-up games.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 12:25:12 PM »
I only watch the MLB All-Star game because that is the only one where the players on the field/court are going full out to win.  The managers may be more concerned with getting everyone in, but the players are going full-throttle on both offense and defense.

I've heard people say the NBA All-Star game is a like a pickup game, but that is an insult to pick-up games.

NBA is still entertaining, even if they aren't going their hardest. They put on a show.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 12:31:37 PM »
NBA is still entertaining, even if they aren't going their hardest. They put on a show.

I don't disagree, but that type of show is not something I enjoy.  To each his own.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 01:06:12 PM »
Maybe silly, but I like watching the MLB All Star game because the game actually means something. Determines home field advantage in the World Series. I feel like the players take it more seriously.

Not anymore  ;D ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 01:02:50 PM »
Austin Karp
‏@AustinKarp

For some perspective, ESPN's 7.45 million viewers for Pro Bowl was 4 million viewers more than ANY program on all of cable TV on Sunday

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 01:05:18 PM »
To put those numbers in context, the MLB ASG had about 8.7 million viewers and the NBA had about 6.6.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 01:21:07 PM »
When the Brewers have been competitive, I've set aside time to watch MLB game; which means I've actually planned to watch the game three times in the past 20+ years.

The rest I wouldn't plan; however, if I was flipping through channels:

NHL -- I would certainly watch if it was a close game in the third period.  While I don't make plans to watch any games, I absolutely love watching competitive hockey in the waning minutes of the game no matter the match-up/circumstances.  Hell, if I happened to flip to a high school JV game in North Dakota being broadcast in 240i that was tied 2-2 with a minute to go, I'd watch that minute and probably even stick around for OT.  However, the number of hockey games I've watched on TV from start to finish over the past 30 years could probably be counted on one hand, and that hand could even belong to a shop teacher.

NBA -- I'd watch the dunk and 3-point contests (do they even have those still?), but I wouldn't stick around for the actual game.

NFL -- I simply wouldn't watch at all.  I'd turn on reruns of Star Trek before I'd watch the NFL Pro Bowl, and I've never seen Star Trek outside JJ Abrams.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:22:57 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 02:01:18 PM »
The last baseball all star game I watched was 1983.    The last NBA all-star game I watched was the one where Chuck Daly actually tried to have his team play defense.    I have never watched a Pro Bowl or NHL all-star game. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.