[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Politicians Playing Games with Peoples Lives  (Read 2052 times)

Benny B

• All American
Politicians Playing Games with Peoples Lives
« on: December 28, 2012, 02:23:07 PM »
No, not the fiscal cliff (though such would be another example of the title)... Russians and adoptions.

http://news.yahoo.com/mom-loses-russian-girl-weeks-adoption-150709061--abc-news-topstories.html

I know several families who have adopted children from overseas, but interestingly, I don't know of anyone that has adopted from the US (except in cases where a person marries someone and adopts his/her child/ren).  I never understood why so many people look overseas to adopt when there are plenty of unwanted and orphaned children with foster families in the US.  But then I read about Colin Kaepernick, and holy crap, how convenient that mommy wants back in now that her biological son - who she gave up over two decades ago - is now a superstar.

The reason I bring this up is because the wife and I briefly discussed adoption before we got married (just in case we weren't able to have our own children), but to see what other people have gone through in order to successfully adopt a child, imagining the feeling of a biological parent showing up someday to whisk the child away, and now the obstacles that politicians in Russia are putting up (perhaps with other countries to follow)... I'm completely convinced that adopting just one child is more tribulation than raising quadruplets of your own.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has gone through the adoption process, what it's like, and why some people decide to adopt from overseas rather than the US.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Politicians Playing Games with Peoples Lives
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »
1. $$ (not that either option is inexpensive)
2. Simplicity (Not that either option is overly simple)
3. The biological parental factor you mentioned.

I started to write out a response to this question, but I don't want to think you really want to read 1000 words of my opinion.  I would just say that domestice/international it is a lengthy and very costly process, but I don't think anyone that has ever been involved in an adoption would ever regret one minute or one penny spent.

This is coming from someone who was adopted and is currently trying to go through the process domestically.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »
1. $$ (not that either option is inexpensive)
2. Simplicity (Not that either option is overly simple)
3. The biological parental factor you mentioned.

I started to write out a response to this question, but I don't want to think you really want to read 1000 words of my opinion.  I would just say that domestice/international it is a lengthy and very costly process, but I don't think anyone that has ever been involved in an adoption would ever regret one minute or one penny spent.

This is coming from someone who was adopted and is currently trying to go through the process domestically.

I haven't done nor tried it myself, but that is what I have heard as well.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »
Time and money are the biggest factors.  From what I have read, it can take a very long time to adopt an American child, the waiting list is something like 8 years.  Most parents new to the adoption process are not going to want to wait 8 years, so adopting abroad is an enticing option for those parents.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:26:54 PM »
My brother and wife adopted 2 kids from Russia.  I think the simple reason was the process was much much quicker.  
I have a cousin (in CT) who adopted two kids from China.  I have an old neighbor (in CT) who adopted 2 kids from here in Connecticut.  Another cousin (in CT) adopted two kids and both were from out-of-state.  This same cousin was a State Rep in Hartford and he held town hall meetings in Connecticut afterwards about streamlining and simplfying the adoption process.  I got the impression there is a lot of red tape as well as a length process for adopting domestically.  One example, the friend who adopted locally, the babies for some reason had to live with a foster parent for 3 months.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »
 One example, the friend who adopted locally, the babies for some reason had to live with a foster parent for 3 months.

It's because the bio parents get a set time frame to "get their life in order" before parental rights are terminated.  It is usually 1 year minimum if the kids were taken by the state. (At least that's how it works in Florida.) Then if they can' get it together, 2nd opportunity for the kids is presented to logical relatives of the BPs (siblings, parents, etc.) After that, then the foster parents can elect to adopt themselves.  Finally, the child would be eligible for adoption.  You could see how people would get frustrated with the system and will look elsewhere without all the red tape.

There are a lot of agencies out there and the waiting time can be short, if you have a big checkbook.  It is unfortunate, but from my research it seems that this is what the adoption process has become.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »
ZFB has bought two mail order brides from Russia. Does that count? He got taken to the cleaners on the alimony... over half of his annual $27,000 salary goes to those commies.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 11:00:01 PM »
ZFB has bought two mail order brides from Russia. Does that count? He got taken to the cleaners on the alimony... over half of his annual $27,000 salary goes to those commies.

Easy.  one ho was from the Ukraine and the other from the old East Germany.  The East German was an Olympian.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 04:55:48 AM »
Easy.  one ho was from the Ukraine and the other from the old East Germany.  The East German was an Olympian.

Too bad you did not rent out the Olympian for 600/hour as I hear their is a market for that.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 09:24:37 PM »
Too bad you did not rent out the Olympian for 600/hour as I hear their is a market for that.

hometown discount.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »
Did you verify gender before completing the deal?