collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Apple TV With "Cable" Package...?  (Read 2409 times)

GOO

• All American
Apple TV With "Cable" Package...?
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:32:03 AM »
I wonder if this will come to pass.  I still would like to be able to add one channel (Fox Sports) and would be willing to pay 15 to 20 a month for it. Heck I'd pay 10 buck to 20 bucks a game on a pick and choose basis, if I could.

But I would consider the Apple alternative if it happens, IF it has Fox Sports.  Really that is all I want, to be able to watch MU games.  Everything else is better over the air where I live.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-17/apple-jumping-into-skinny-bundles-threatens-500-channel-world

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Apple TV With "Cable" Package...?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:40:06 AM »
I wonder if this will come to pass.  I still would like to be able to add one channel (Fox Sports) and would be willing to pay 15 to 20 a month for it. Heck I'd pay 10 buck to 20 bucks a game on a pick and choose basis, if I could.

But I would consider the Apple alternative if it happens, IF it has Fox Sports.  Really that is all I want, to be able to watch MU games.  Everything else is better over the air where I live.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-17/apple-jumping-into-skinny-bundles-threatens-500-channel-world

Yes, it is going to happen.  As I mentioned a few years ago, smaller bundles will come which is what you are seeing, but true a la carte for companies that own tons of networks makes no sense for them and would ultimately remove choice for the consumer.

brandx

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:46:35 AM »
Yes, it is going to happen.  As I mentioned a few years ago, smaller bundles will come which is what you are seeing, but true a la carte for companies that own tons of networks makes no sense for them and would ultimately remove choice for the consumer.

Josh Sharma, c'mon down!!!

You have argued over and over that it wouldn't happen.

Of course you always covered yourself so you could say you were right no matter what happens ("Now, down the road could it change....of course.  But they know for it to change their expenses go through the roof in a way they cannot appreciate.") And then say that by down the road, you meant just a few months ::)

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 01:08:24 PM »
Chicos, for a company/channel like Fox Sports where they can't be getting paid much for it, doesn't it make any sense to do what HBO is doing and offer it on its own?  Even if as a computer or mobile app?  Or is it just so tied in economically with Fox, Fox Business, Fox etc.....?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 03:46:27 PM »
Chicos, for a company/channel like Fox Sports where they can't be getting paid much for it, doesn't it make any sense to do what HBO is doing and offer it on its own?  Even if as a computer or mobile app?  Or is it just so tied in economically with Fox, Fox Business, Fox etc.....?

They get paid much much much more by doing a deal where they get a little bit from everyone.  If a channel can get $2.00 from 90 million homes per month through carriage deals that's a lot safer bet then them getting $10 per month from 10 million homes that care about the channel. 

Yes, these deals are tied to everything else.  Fox News Channel dominates ratings, so that drives a bunch of other stuff.  If you want Fox News channel, then you have to take Fox Business Channel, Fox Movie Channel, FX, FXX, etc.   Those other channels are a lot harder to sell a la carte, so if they go that direction, they put their other networks at risk. It also reduces consumer choices on entertainment.

What HBO is doing is trying to have their cake and eat it too as they target folks that are the lower income levels or don't want to spend $80 on television per month.   Don't forget who owns HBO and what else they own....CNN, TNT, TBS, TruTV, etc.  Wait until those deals come up and the pain that could cause them.  A MAJOR HBO deal is up this year with a major distribution player, and oh is that going to be interesting.  It's all interconnected. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »
Makes sense.   I sure hope something happens to break up these clusters.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 05:43:49 PM »
Makes sense.   I sure hope something happens to break up these clusters.

Well, going to be a long time for what people really want....I'll be retired by then.  Of course, when it happens plenty of folks are going to be upset when their channels go bye bye.  I like having variety and the ability to go to the History channel one night, ESPN, over to A&E, AMC, etc...but as people pick and choose those other channels will go away because the scale isn't there, or the programming quality will retard because the money isn't there to create the content.  Simple math.