collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anyone watching the TV show True Detective?  (Read 12860 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Anyone watching the TV show True Detective?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 02:14:01 PM »
spoiler alerts please! (I'm only up to episode 3)

Sorry, didn't think I was giving anything away.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 02:26:09 PM »
[mild spoilers]

I've been reading 'The King in Yellow' the last week and they really seemed to ramp up the allusion to the book this week. The scene in the mental health facility where Rust confronts Reggie LaDeux's (sp?) victim is a nice echo of 'The Mask' - the second of the two short stories in 'The King in Yellow' that references the fictional play 'The King in Yellow.'

That combined with the 'next week on' clips at the end of episode 6 make me think that the Carcosa mythology and occult aspects of the case are going to really ramp up next week.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »
Hmmm.    To borrow from Smokey and the Bandit.....they have a long way to go and a short time to get there.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 09:15:35 AM »
Hmmm.    To borrow from Smokey and the Bandit.....they have a long way to go and a short time to get there.   

They get there

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 06:49:51 PM »
No, I don't watch silly fiction.  Is that breaking bread show over and this is the new cool thing to watch?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brandx

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 11:06:26 PM »
No, I don't watch silly fiction.  Is that breaking bread show over and this is the new cool thing to watch?

Have you ever read one of them book thingies?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 11:22:11 PM »
Have you ever read one of them book thingies?

Yes, but I don't read fiction.

brandx

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 12:05:05 AM »
Yes, but I don't read fiction.

I'll go way out on a limb here, but I'm guessing you think Art and Music are a waste of time as well.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 08:01:16 AM »
I'll go way out on a limb here, but I'm guessing you think Art and Music are a waste of time as well.

No. I have a DEEP background in music. Art? Depends on the specifics, but generally think it's great.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2014, 11:20:02 PM »
Thoughts   ;)

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2014, 11:58:04 PM »
that's why there are 9,567 channels (or more)  something for everyone. It would be a very boring world if we all liked the same thing. 

brandx

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 12:13:26 AM »
Thoughts   ;)

I always thought that the story line was more about the relationship between Harrelson and McConaughy than anything else. For a show to be good, the characters have to be the story - whether it is a Walter White, or the Lannisters or whoever. And these two didn't disappoint. The final 15 minutes were the whole show in a nutshell.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

nyg

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 06:37:44 AM »
I always thought that the story line was more about the relationship between Harrelson and McConaughy than anything else. For a show to be good, the characters have to be the story - whether it is a Walter White, or the Lannisters or whoever. And these two didn't disappoint. The final 15 minutes were the whole show in a nutshell.

- I agree, thats what the writers wanted, but not the public.  No conspiracy, etc. 
- First 15 minutes was slow, middle 30 was great, last 15 was Rust realizing he saw life/death.
- WTF was that hurricane thing coming from sky?
- BTW, now way in real life does Rust survive a six inch knife wound, with upward thrust to the       abdomen, ah, television.....
- Acting by all was off the charts the whole series.
- Now it's GOT time. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2014, 07:51:54 AM »
Acting was superb.   The villain turned out to be smaller than all of the build up had led us to believe.   The Tulley's are still loose ends.   It was really exciting, tremendous middle, but somehow it left me somewhat unfulfilled.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2014, 07:58:13 AM »
Acting was superb.   The villain turned out to be smaller than all of the build up had led us to believe.   The Tulley's are still loose ends.   It was really exciting, tremendous middle, but somehow it left me somewhat unfulfilled.   

Pretty much exactly my take as well. 

OTOH, it could have been much worse.  They could have showed the villain "making flowers."
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2014, 08:47:03 AM »
Pretty much exactly my take as well. 

OTOH, it could have been much worse.  They could have showed the villain "making flowers."
I think we did get to hear him making flowers near the end. That would have been a sight. The good thing of course, he ended up pushing flowers--daisies, that is.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2014, 08:49:01 AM »
- I agree, thats what the writers wanted, but not the public.  No conspiracy, etc. 
- First 15 minutes was slow, middle 30 was great, last 15 was Rust realizing he saw life/death.
- WTF was that hurricane thing coming from sky?
- BTW, now way in real life does Rust survive a six inch knife wound, with upward thrust to the       abdomen, ah, television.....
- Acting by all was off the charts the whole series.
- Now it's GOT time. 
Sure Rust survives, he was crazy tough--and it is the movies, right?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:56 AM »
The ending was fine. They tied everything up. Rust got some sense of closure with his daughter.

I guess I was expecting more. But it was fine. It just wasn't Breaking Bad good.

brandx

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2014, 11:49:04 AM »
The ending was fine. They tied everything up. Rust got some sense of closure with his daughter.

I guess I was expecting more. But it was fine. It just wasn't Breaking Bad good.

Maybe we are just too used to big Hollywood endings where everything is tied up in the last act? Things don't happen that way in life.

That's the appeal of GOT. Good guys don't always win. Good people die and bad people die.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2015, 10:51:48 PM »
Just finally getting around to watching this. Great stuff all around. Finished up episode 6 and looking forward to the home stretch.

Between this and House of Cards (which I just also caught up on), I feel like the high end TV market is just as good, if not better, than what is currently playing in theaters.

brandx

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2015, 11:45:45 PM »
Just finally getting around to watching this. Great stuff all around. Finished up episode 6 and looking forward to the home stretch.

Between this and House of Cards (which I just also caught up on), I feel like the high end TV market is just as good, if not better, than what is currently playing in theaters.

Totally agree with you here. I almost never watch movies anymore. Check out Bloodlines, as well, on Netflix. Kinda the same slow, southern vibe as True Detectives, albeit a much different story.

feedback