[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This was a trap game...  (Read 4478 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
This was a trap game...
« on: February 06, 2009, 08:17:45 PM »
This was a trap game.  The 2nd worst game we played this season, other being Dayton.  WTF... a horrible start to the weekend.  We looked like poop tonight.  Let's hope we rebound a steal a win at Nova.  That game just moved to must win column if we plan on having a chance to win this conference.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!

"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: This was a trap game...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 08:20:34 PM »
I think there were some who thought the USF game wasn't going to be easy and a possible upset.

But hindsight's 20/20 and how we rebound from this is what I'm looking forward to seeing.

Dayton was a bit unexpected, but it was early in the season. This loss is the WORST of the season. Not the second by FAR!

Our shooting percentages and inability to capitalize on our bounding strengths (getting to the hole, kicking it out, getting into the bonus early) really hurt us.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:23:13 PM »
This was a trap game.  The 2nd worst game we played this season, other being Dayton.  WTF... a horrible start to the weekend.  We looked like poop tonight.  Let's hope we rebound a steal a win at Nova.  That game just moved to must win column if we plan on having a chance to win this conference.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!

The thing is, we didn't play that well against DePaul either....that's two in a row where we played poorly IMO.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 08:26:25 PM »
when Lazar plays well we're a different team. When he doesn't we're a two-man offense (Wes and Jerel). Every other team the rest of the way will let DJ fire at will.

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:26:57 PM »
We've just looked sluggish lately.  Perimeter defense is not what it was at the start of the Beast season, maybe it's just me but it seems like opposing guards are getting into the lane easier lately.  Also, whenever we hedged on screens tonight it seemed like we were a step slow in recovering, which resulted in quite a few easy buckets down low for USF.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 08:27:11 PM »
I think there were some who thought the USF game wasn't going to be easy and a possible upset.

But hindsight's 20/20 and how we rebound from this is what I'm looking forward to seeing.

If they thought it wasn't going to be easy before the game it's not hindsight - it's foresight!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 08:38:02 PM »
If they thought it wasn't going to be easy before the game it's not hindsight - it's foresight!

It was directed to the OP and thread title: "This was a trap game". It was posted AFTER the game and not before it.

I believed that MU would win by single digits, but never a loss.
SS Marquette

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 08:40:32 PM »
Didn't realize that USF just beat a top ten team for the first time in their history.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 08:42:31 PM »
Didn't realize that USF just beat a top ten team for the first time in their history.

We aren't Top 10 quality. Period.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »
Everyone just take a chill pill. It was our worst game of the season hands down and we still almost won.

People need to remember At East Carolina, 2002. This crape happens.

We shot, what, 35% from the free throw line, 10% from three and STILL almost win off a missed 1' putback by Hayward?

We'll be fine.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 08:56:47 PM »
Everyone just take a chill pill. It was our worst game of the season hands down and we still almost won.

People need to remember At East Carolina, 2002. This crape happens.

We shot, what, 35% from the free throw line, 10% from three and STILL almost win off a missed 1' putback by Hayward?

We'll be fine.

No doubt that we'll be fine.  That said, I'm not interested in just being fine!  We had the inside lane on the Big East Championship.  Now with a loss to the 3rd worst team in the Big East, we're gonna be in a battle for a first round bye.  What disappoints me, is not that we lost but that we lost to such a poor team.  I was expecting a loss to Nova but not USF.  In my eyes, in order for us to remain in contention for the championship, the Nova game has just turned into a must win game.

No doubt this is a special team... tonight was a hiccup.  We'll rebound... the question is can we rebound to be Big East champions or rebound to be a first round bye.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 09:01:08 PM »
The thing is, we didn't play that well against DePaul either....that's two in a row where we played poorly IMO.

Agreed. the announcers even referenced the DePaul game. I thought USF did a good job forcing us out of the paint.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
What made me most upset was how we got completely outrun, USF was MUCH more aggressive pushing the ball down the floor. Really beat MU at it's own strength, which to me is the biggest concern coming out of this.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 09:48:07 PM »
No doubt that we'll be fine.  That said, I'm not interested in just being fine!  We had the inside lane on the Big East Championship.  Now with a loss to the 3rd worst team in the Big East, we're gonna be in a battle for a first round bye.  What disappoints me, is not that we lost but that we lost to such a poor team.  I was expecting a loss to Nova but not USF.  In my eyes, in order for us to remain in contention for the championship, the Nova game has just turned into a must win game.

No doubt this is a special team... tonight was a hiccup.  We'll rebound... the question is can we rebound to be Big East champions or rebound to be a first round bye.

Well if you thought we were the best team in the BE, that's your own issue.  And a battle for a 1st round bye?  Do you really expect MU not to finish in the top 8 of the conference?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 09:49:38 PM »

Put me down as one who never beleived we had a realistic shot at a BE title anyway, given what remains on the schedule. So I don't much care about that. A double bye? Yeah, that I was beginning to look forward to, but this loss certainly changes that. If MU wants to stay/finish in the top 4, they really need to take care of the 5th team in the equation on Tuesday, or they stand a very good chance of becoming the 5th team in the equation.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 10:23:59 PM »
Well if you thought we were the best team in the BE, that's your own issue.  And a battle for a 1st round bye?  Do you really expect MU not to finish in the top 8 of the conference?

Best team in conference... NO.  Team that was in the best position to win the conference... Yes.  It's not about being the best team in conference, it's about taking advantage of an easier schedule and taking advantage of your top competitors slip ups.  To be considered a top team and a contender, you can't afford to slip up on must win games.  We have no margin of error now... we need to beat Nova  That's what sucks about the loss.  BTW... i'm clearly talking about the double bye.  I could give two sh*ts about a single round bye.  If we're not top 8, we've got larger concerns than a first round bye!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 10:34:13 PM »
I think what hurts the most about the loss is the possible effect it can have on the team's confidence. I much rather be playing at Villanova with a 13 game win streak, then having to go there after a loss. As the anouncers have been saying all year it is about how a team responds after a loss. You do not want one loss to turn into two losses, etc.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 10:12:31 AM »
I think what hurts the most about the loss is the possible effect it can have on the team's confidence. I much rather be playing at Villanova with a 13 game win streak, then having to go there after a loss. As the anouncers have been saying all year it is about how a team responds after a loss. You do not want one loss to turn into two losses, etc.

I dunno. I don't think this group will ever be lacking confidence. The flip side to it is that maybe this loss helps sharpen their edge a bit, or helps restore/maintain that chip on their shoulder they seem to have been playing wth all year long.

I am hopeful this can be chalked up to just a bad night and potential wake up call - nothing more.

feedback