[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 588203 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1575 on: December 05, 2014, 03:36:37 PM »
Even though they are awful and drive me insane, I am looking to take my daughter to the last home game of the season (12/21 vs the Lions).  Any scoopers looking to unload tickets for a reasonable price?  I can't believe how ridiculous ticket prices are on stub hub considering the season they are having.

I'm not sure how much the Bears would have to pay me to sit in -10 windchill to watch that team. I think I'd do it for $500. I definitely would for a thou. Let them know, OK?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1577 on: December 08, 2014, 12:02:54 PM »
So the Bears sign him to a seven year extension less than a year ago, with $50 M in guarantees, and now they think they can trade him?   Well who knows.  Someone, somewhere might be interested.

And yet reports out of Chicago are that neither Emery nor Trestman are likely to be fired.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1578 on: December 08, 2014, 12:04:10 PM »
So the Bears sign him to a seven year extension less than a year ago, with $50 M in guarantees, and now they think they can trade him?   Well who knows.  Someone, somewhere might be interested.

And yet reports out of Chicago are that neither Emery nor Trestman are likely to be fired.

I agree with all of this.

How many different coaches can you bring in only to fire after a couple of years?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #1579 on: December 08, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »

Carson Palmer was traded for less than a 6th round pick, so Cutler might get that for the bears ;D at best.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1580 on: December 08, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »
Carson Palmer was traded for less than a 6th round pick, so Cutler might get that for the bears ;D at best.

Yea but the Raiders gave up a 1st and 2nd rounder to get him, so you never know how stupid a team could be.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1581 on: December 08, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »

This is so concerning to me.  Ask any logical Bears fan on whether they would have Trestman/Emery for another year, or Cutler, and they would say Cutler.  I dont trust the current front office to acquire a capable replacement and I don't trust Trestman with this team.  I'm terrified they are going to have Mel Tucker be the fall guy and send Cutler off for a 4th round pick and act like everything is fine.  Do people honestly think this season would be different with McCown?  Or Kirk Cousins?  Cutler needs to be better, but Aaron Rodgers isn't walking through the door as an option.  They won't have a draft pick high enough to get Mariota.  They'd end up with someone like Brett Hundley who isn't ready to start in the NFL right away.

Ive heard the buzz about Trestman being safe unless there is a massive flameout, and risking my fan card, I'm ready to pull for losses in the last 3, cause I can't deal with this crap all over again in 2015 as Marshall and Forte's windows close.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1582 on: December 08, 2014, 03:46:41 PM »
The Bears are an absolute mess right now. The GM has been bad. The coaching staff has been worse. The players don't trust the coaches. The coaches don't trust the players. The roster lacks talent. Most of the players with actual talent (Cutler, Briggs, Allen, Ratliff, etc) are past their prime and/or underperforming. The team could attempt to get rid of Cutler and turn the 2015 season over to Jimmy Clausen or even David Fales, go 4-12 and try to get a franchise QB in the 2016 Draft, but who's there? Kevin Hogan? Connor Cook? Christian Hackenberg? Are those guys QBs who are going to carry a team to the Super Bowl down the line?  Do they take a chance on a once highly-touted QB who will soon be out there like Sam Bradford or RGIII? Cutler just might be the best solution at this point, which is part of the problem.

It really would have been interesting to see what Bruce Arians could have done for Cutler.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1583 on: December 08, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »
The biggest problem is that the Bears' ownership is adverse to bold moves and no one really knows who is running anything up there.  I really this doesn't get better in a permanent basis until Virginia dies and the kids cash in.

brandx

« Reply #1584 on: December 08, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »
This is so concerning to me.  Ask any logical Bears fan on whether they would have Trestman/Emery for another year, or Cutler, and they would say Cutler.  I dont trust the current front office to acquire a capable replacement and I don't trust Trestman with this team.  I'm terrified they are going to have Mel Tucker be the fall guy and send Cutler off for a 4th round pick and act like everything is fine.  Do people honestly think this season would be different with McCown?  Or Kirk Cousins?  Cutler needs to be better, but Aaron Rodgers isn't walking through the door as an option.  They won't have a draft pick high enough to get Mariota.  They'd end up with someone like Brett Hundley who isn't ready to start in the NFL right away.

Ive heard the buzz about Trestman being safe unless there is a massive flameout, and risking my fan card, I'm ready to pull for losses in the last 3, cause I can't deal with this crap all over again in 2015 as Marshall and Forte's windows close.

It takes 2 massive flameouts to get fired?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1585 on: December 08, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »
The biggest problem is that the Bears' ownership is adverse to bold moves and no one really knows who is running anything up there.  I really this doesn't get better in a permanent basis until Virginia dies and the kids cash in.

This. When does any blame go up past the GM? When was the last time a Bears exec was fired? Because I don't think Ted PHillips does crap

brandx

« Reply #1586 on: December 08, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »

Too much infighting between the kids. I think the franchise will be sold when she goes as none of the kids right now has the cash to buy out the others. Not saying that one of them couldn't join up with investors to get it done though.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1587 on: December 08, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »
SKOL Vikings! Feels good being out of the cellar. Thanks, Bears.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1588 on: December 08, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »
Too much infighting between the kids. I think the franchise will be sold when she goes as none of the kids right now has the cash to buy out the others. Not saying that one of them couldn't join up with investors to get it done though.

Infighting, where's that been documented? George McCaskey was elevated to Chairman in 2011 to ensure family continuity after Virginia dies.

The issue with the Bears is the power that Virginia has given Ted Phillips. However, Phillips isn't going anywhere as long as Virginia is alive.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1589 on: December 08, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »
Infighting, where's that been documented? George McCaskey was elevated to Chairman in 2011 to ensure family continuity after Virginia dies.

The issue with the Bears is the power that Virginia has given Ted Phillips. However, Phillips isn't going anywhere as long as Virginia is alive.

This. Family connections means more than success. Sad.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1590 on: December 08, 2014, 08:35:16 PM »
That throw by Matty Ice looked like a Jay Cutler throw. Absolute best case scenario is that ball somehow, miraculously goes through a defender's body and they Falcons gain a yard. Throw the ball away kid.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1591 on: December 08, 2014, 09:14:36 PM »

Actually, Ted Phillips runs the show, its very clear. He has full power and has had that since he became CEO back in 1999. Since taking over, the McCaskey family has stayed out of the football operation. Ted consults with them on big picture moves, but he has final say on all football matters.

The issue is how Ted's being evaluated. Phillips has spent his entire career with the Bears. He has worked his way up the ladder and is basically an adopted member of the McCaskey clan. To me, that's the issue. Virginia views Ted as a son, and I doubt she is willing to fire or demote another "son" of hers again. Removing Michael McCaskey after the David McGinnis screw-up was a very painful moment for her.

In terms of the Bears future, that lies in the hands of George McCaskey. I very much doubt that the family sells the team, but changes could occur after Virginia dies. Similar to the Blackhawks in the Bill Wirtz era, the younger generation may have different ideas on how to run things. But as long as the patriarch (or matriarch in this case) is alive, its stay the course.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1592 on: December 09, 2014, 07:59:36 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1593 on: December 09, 2014, 09:58:51 AM »
So last year's Packer defense showed up in the second half.  Can I be optimistic and say that the Packers decided not to double Julio Jones because they didn't want to show too much for their week 17 performance v. Calvin Johnson?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1594 on: December 09, 2014, 10:15:03 AM »
Actually, Ted Phillips runs the show, its very clear. He has full power and has had that since he became CEO back in 1999. Since taking over, the McCaskey family has stayed out of the football operation. Ted consults with them on big picture moves, but he has final say on all football matters.

The issue is how Ted's being evaluated. Phillips has spent his entire career with the Bears. He has worked his way up the ladder and is basically an adopted member of the McCaskey clan. To me, that's the issue. Virginia views Ted as a son, and I doubt she is willing to fire or demote another "son" of hers again. Removing Michael McCaskey after the David McGinnis screw-up was a very painful moment for her.

In terms of the Bears future, that lies in the hands of George McCaskey. I very much doubt that the family sells the team, but changes could occur after Virginia dies. Similar to the Blackhawks in the Bill Wirtz era, the younger generation may have different ideas on how to run things. But as long as the patriarch (or matriarch in this case) is alive, its stay the course.

I heard a very interesting point in regards to Virginia's death.

The inheritance tax may be a huge blow to the McCaskey's cash flow, and could force them to sell the remainder of the franchise to Patrick Ryan.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1595 on: December 09, 2014, 10:19:36 AM »
So last year's Packer defense showed up in the second half.  Can I be optimistic and say that the Packers decided not to double Julio Jones because they didn't want to show too much for their week 17 performance v. Calvin Johnson?

It was certainly a huge step back, but I'm not overly concerned about it.  Since moving Clay to ILB during the bye week the defense has played great.  They more or less shut down the Patriots just one week ago, who are clearly one of the top 5 teams in the league.  They had a 24 point lead at halftime and let their foot off the gas, and Atlanta took advantage with some good halftime adjustments.  The Falcons have some good weapons on offense.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1596 on: December 09, 2014, 10:34:21 AM »
I heard a very interesting point in regards to Virginia's death.

The inheritance tax may be a huge blow to the McCaskey's cash flow, and could force them to sell the remainder of the franchise to Patrick Ryan.

Definitely could be an issue. The McCaskey's don't have outside business interests and are not independently wealth. There's also issues in regards to the percentage of team ownership after Virginia's death, since the shares of the franchise will be split 11 ways. This article outlines some of the challenges: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-07-28/sports/ct-spt-0728-bears-chicago-sports-20130728_1_mccaskeys-bears-many-family-businesses
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:50:52 AM by RJax55 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1597 on: December 09, 2014, 10:43:45 AM »
I just think that the further away from George Halas the family goes, the less emotionally invested the family will be in the business and the more the lure of a $1B+ price tag is going to be of interest to the family.  I mean, each of the kids could get $100M before taxes at a price tag of $1.5B.  Is owning a 6.6% share really all that valuable in comparison? 

This is exactly what happened with Ralph Wilson and the Buffalo Bills.  The kids didn't really even wait for the body to get cold before selling off the team.

BTW...Pat Ryan?  Wauwatosa native.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1598 on: December 09, 2014, 10:49:14 AM »
I just think that the further away from George Halas the family goes, the less emotionally invested the family will be in the business and the more the lure of a $1B+ price tag is going to be of interest to the family.  I mean, each of the kids could get $100M before taxes at a price tag of $1.5B.  Is owning a 6.6% share really all that valuable in comparison? 

This is exactly what happened with Ralph Wilson and the Buffalo Bills.  The kids didn't really even wait for the body to get cold before selling off the team.

BTW...Pat Ryan?  Wauwatosa native.

Pat Ryan is also about 80 years old. Does anyone know anything about his kids? Otherwise, with all due respect to Ryan, selling the rest of the team to him is not exactly a long-term play.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1599 on: December 09, 2014, 11:09:21 AM »
I know Pat Ryan's eldest son, Pat Ryan, Jr. runs a pretty successful venture capital firm in Chicago. 

feedback