[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

If restaurants open in May (for dine-in), are you going/taking your family?

Yes
30 (42.9%)
No
40 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: If restaurants open in May (for dine-in), are you going/taking your family?  (Read 21308 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
You’re just rooting for full on economic collapse at this point aren’t you? My god just an incessant rain cloud on everything COVID.  Another 3-4 months of lockdown, don’t order takeout. Goodness gracious.

I don't think that's a fair description at all.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
No one is rooting for a meltdown.   Some people obsess with the health side.  Some with the economics.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American

I don't think that's a fair description at all.

“Rooting for” was overly aggressive and I will apologize rather than edit. But certainly encouraging it. Restaurants hanging on by a thread if at all, people cautioning that takeout is unsafe, which I’ve yet to see rashes of people catching COVID from their pizza boxes, leading to a pullback in that will kick even more over the edge.

Every positive indicator this week, through traditional media/online/social media is getting met with not “this is good but we should still be cautious” but more like “yea well that means not much cause the second wave is gonna be worse, and that’s coming unless we remain bunkered down indefinitely”. Though I imagine that’s largely pushback to the other side’s plans to begin reopening the economy.

No one is rooting for a meltdown.   Some people obsess with the health side.  Some with the economics.

This is well said

#UnleashSean

• All American
Honestly, I'd advise against takeout. Won't be doing restaurants at all for awhile.

Hope you have a bomb shelter filled with
food for months.  That grocery store food is just as infected as the restaurant

#UnleashSean

• All American
Though I imagine that’s largely pushback to the other side’s plans to begin reopening the economy.

This is what I believe to. Its absolutely disgusting how much both sides are using this pandemic to up their own political gains. I really hope that this two party nonsense goes away in the coming years.

• All American
“Rooting for” was overly aggressive and I will apologize rather than edit. But certainly encouraging it. Restaurants hanging on by a thread if at all, people cautioning that takeout is unsafe, which I’ve yet to see rashes of people catching COVID from their pizza boxes, leading to a pullback in that will kick even more over the edge.

Every positive indicator this week, through traditional media/online/social media is getting met with not “this is good but we should still be cautious” but more like “yea well that means not much cause the second wave is gonna be worse, and that’s coming unless we remain bunkered down indefinitely”. Though I imagine that’s largely pushback to the other side’s plans to begin reopening the economy.

He was simply answering the question posed in the topic.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you either.  Everything that was said earlier was about opening back up a couple weeks past peak.  Since Wisconsin is peaking this week, that would mean early May.  So IMO we open up cautiously then and see what happens.  If we can manage it, great.  If not, we may have to shut down again. 

But I still think large scale events, like festivals and sporting events, are a long way from occurring.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
Just left a Skype meeting with our critical incident stress/peer support team.    The discussions on this board and the increasing frustration with each other are not unique.  You can see it on the news every day.  Domestic violence calls are up.  Medical calls where the primary symptom is an anxiety attack are up.   
 We are all frustrated and anxious.   Some look at the health aspect and freak out.   Some look at the economic fall out and freak out.   Conservatives are blaming the liberal governor if my state.   Liberals are blaming the president.   Stress and looking for a vent.
   It is wise that the mods banned politics.   It is inevitable that discussions of Covid and the response are going to branch into politics.   
    Everybody needs to take a deep breath or 5 and recognize that everybody else is anxious, stressed, in uncharted waters too.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:05:02 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

#UnleashSean

• All American

It is wise that the mods banned politics.   It is inevitable that discussions of Covid and the response are going to branch into politics.   

Politics are banned on scoop in the same way that Cubans were banned in the US.

• All American
Just left a Skype meeting with our critical incident stress/peer support team.    The discussions on this board and the increasing frustration with each other are not unique.  You can see it on the news every day.  Domestic violence calls are up.  Medical calls where the primary symptom is an anxiety attack are up.   
 We are all frustrated and anxious.   Some look at the health aspect and freak out.   Some look at the economic fall out and freak out.   Conservatives are blaming the liberal governor if my state.   Liberals are blaming the president.   Stress and looking for a vent.
    Everybody needs to take a deep breath or 5 and recognize that everybody else is anxious, stressed, in uncharted waters too.

And maybe think a few seconds before you post something.

tower912

• All American
Most scoopers, most of the time, try to abide by the rules.   There are people on both sides who find ways to inject politics.  It gets reported, posts get deleted, temporary bans are handed out.

tower912

• All American
Politics are banned on scoop in the same way that Cubans were banned in the US.
Only let politics in if it helps a baseball team? ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:49:18 AM by tower912 »

D'Lo Brown

• All American
The amount of people (especially in my generation) that claim to not be able to cook or to cut/manage their hair, pandemic or not, always astounds me.

I don't need to do either for the savings, but then again, these skills seem to be more concentrated among people that actually have no real need for the savings.

Maybe coronavirus will change either, but given the reports of long drive-thru lines & takeout, I doubt it.

WarriorDad

• All American
Yes without hesitation. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Hards Alumni

• All American
The amount of people (especially in my generation) that claim to not be able to cook or to cut/manage their hair, pandemic or not, always astounds me.

I don't need to do either for the savings, but then again, these skills seem to be more concentrated among people that actually have no real need for the savings.

Maybe coronavirus will change either, but given the reports of long drive-thru lines & takeout, I doubt it.

What is your age?

forgetful

• All American
In regards to takeout, why?

There is zero ability to stop people who have mild or no symptoms from showing up to work. Although the food is cooked, the finished products have to be shipped out and they are in a small space where numerous infected people can be coughing and aerosolizing droplets throughout the room.

You can disinfect the outside containers, but not the food itself, allowing for an oral route of infection.

It is easier and healthier to cook at home.

Why go through all the hassle of quarantining in place, if we are going to encourage people to go out and eat food from sources we are well aware are a possible route of infection.

You’re just rooting for full on economic collapse at this point aren’t you? My god just an incessant rain cloud on everything COVID.  Another 3-4 months of lockdown, don’t order takeout. Goodness gracious.

Absolutely not. Being rational, in how to best avoid infection though, yes.

I certainly don't want restaurants to fail. We should be bailing them out, though, not encouraging a route of infection, by falsely stating that "it is safe," just like we falsely stated "masks make things worse."

Also, there are restaurants now making a tidy profit, by selling their normal stocks as groceries, to people that have a hard time getting some items. There are smart, rational ways to support businesses.

Hope you have a bomb shelter filled with
food for months.  That grocery store food is just as infected as the restaurant

Congrats on the aggressive hyperbole. The packaged grocery store food has days of transport time after packaging. Any virus is long dead. The food is packaged, so no virus can be transferred to the food itself. The packaging can accumulate virus, but that can easily be disinfected, or stored for 2-3 days before touching the surfaces.

forgetful

• All American
Though I imagine that’s largely pushback to the other side’s plans to begin reopening the economy.

I can't speak for everyone, but at least for me, that is absolutely not the case. I am a scientist by training, I have colleagues that cover the entire sphere of the health sciences sphere, including ones in public policy.

I listen to my peers who are experts in respective areas, that are using data-driven models.

In relation to this thread. My colleagues that study routes of infection and epidemiology models have been adamant that they would not eat any food at restaurants or even takeout. I've seen their data. I trust data.

Regarding economics. Although I am a co-founder and co-owner of a small business, that is not my area of expertise. I do have some friends who are economists, and my takeaway from chatting with them, is that they are all over the map in terms of what they think we should do right now.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
I can't speak for everyone, but at least for me, that is absolutely not the case. I am a scientist by training, I have colleagues that cover the entire sphere of the health sciences sphere, including ones in public policy.

I listen to my peers who are experts in respective areas, that are using data-driven models.

In relation to this thread. My colleagues that study routes of infection and epidemiology models have been adamant that they would not eat any food at restaurants or even takeout. I've seen their data. I trust data.

Regarding economics. Although I am a co-founder and co-owner of a small business, that is not my area of expertise. I do have some friends who are economists, and my takeaway from chatting with them, is that they are all over the map in terms of what they think we should do right now.

One thing I'm seeing in manufacturing this week, is that factories that have been open the last 3 weeks are notifying customers and suppliers that they will be closing for 2-3 weeks because someone in the shop tested positive for COVID-19.  I think we are all going to see more places close (not open) the next 2-3 weeks for this reason.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
There is zero ability to stop people who have mild or no symptoms from showing up to work. Although the food is cooked, the finished products have to be shipped out and they are in a small space where numerous infected people can be coughing and aerosolizing droplets throughout the room.

You can disinfect the outside containers, but not the food itself, allowing for an oral route of infection.

If you throw the takeout in a microwave you'll be fine.

As for pizza, we order par-baked from our favorite joint and bake it in an oven.

GB Warrior

• All American
If you throw the takeout in a microwave you'll be fine.

As for pizza, we order par-baked from our favorite joint and bake it in an oven.

Also if you lysol all your food it's completely safe. and still tastes better than Arbys.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!

Why go through all the hassle of quarantining in place, if we are going to encourage people to go out and eat food from sources we are well aware are a possible route of infection.

I certainly don't want restaurants to fail. We should be bailing them out, though, not encouraging a route of infection, by falsely stating that "it is safe," just like we falsely stated "masks make things worse."

Also, there are restaurants now making a tidy profit, by selling their normal stocks as groceries, to people that have a hard time getting some items. There are smart, rational ways to support businesses.

Congrats on the aggressive hyperbole. The packaged grocery store food has days of transport time after packaging. Any virus is long dead. The food is packaged, so no virus can be transferred to the food itself. The packaging can accumulate virus, but that can easily be disinfected, or stored for 2-3 days before touching the surfaces.

Every man dies.
Not every man truly lives.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Every man dies.
Not every man truly lives.

#Arby’s

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American

Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought there was no evidence of any transmission via food itself. 

Personally, my girlfriend and I have avoided takeout aside from 2-3 instances as we just need a little comfort food once in a while.  I've been more concerned about the packaging than the actual food itself. 

Pakuni

• All American

The FDA and others say there's zero evidence the virus can be transmitted through food.
It's a personal choice, and if you feel safer not ordering takeout, there's nothing wrong with that. But if there's data suggesting that this virus can be transmitted by eating food please provide it. Otherwise, this is baseless fear mongering.

While COVID-19 is new to us, coronaviruses are not, and with all the studies done on these viruses, there has never been any information to implicate food-borne transmission," says Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of medicine in the department of infectious diseases at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, Tenn.

The coronavirus that causes COVID-19 is primarily spread via droplets expelled through coughing or sneezing, says William Schaffner. If you're standing too close (within about 6 feet) to an infected person when the person coughs or sneezes, or even possibly when the person speaks or exhales, viral droplets could make their way to your nasal passages and mucous membranes. Or if you touch a surface with droplets on it and then touch your eyes, nose or mouth, that could also lead to infection.

All this means that transmission via food is incredibly unlikely, say both professors Schaffner — unless you actually inhaled your food. "Even in the so unlikely scenario of virus through a sneeze or cough coming into contact with, say, a salad, that would enter the body through the throat," William Schaffner says.

William Schaffner explains that the virus is primarily risky to us when it attaches to surfaces in our respiratory tract, not when we accidentally eat it. "The virus seems to be latching onto cells in the upper reaches of the nose, a place food doesn't enter," he explains. "Virus that found its way into your gastrointestinal tract would be killed by the acid in your stomach." 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/08/822903487/how-safe-is-it-to-eat-take-out

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!

Warriors4ever

• All American
Occasionally my neighbors and I have ordered group takeout locally, preferably contactless ( one order, separate packages). I know we have been wiping down the containers, transferring to our own containers, and then zapping in the microwave. So only hot food, no salads.

feedback