[Today at 06:46:43 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka to MU (Done deal v. 2.0)  (Read 48115 times)

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: Shaka to MU??? (Done deal v. 2.0)
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2021, 12:13:50 PM »
I know there was some angst last Saturday night when I was advocating strongly for Shaka, and there are valid concerns people brought up.

I love the hire, I think (hope) Texas was a great learning experience for Shaka. I think sometimes things just don’t work at certain places. I hope and think he comes to MU with a mindset of a great program with a passionate fan base near where he’s from, a school solely focused on basketball, will get his juices flowing and be the guy to lead MU for a while. I think he knows he has something to prove and hope to see the fan base get behind him.

Good post, Dish. This is how I'm feeling as well. I'm hopeful not only that he's gonna be the right guy to lead our team, but also that his experience at Texas will make him less likely to jump ship once he starts getting some success.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2021, 12:16:13 PM »
MU had great choices this time. Shaka hit most of the buttons. I love his style of play on both sides of the ball. I don't mind a guy who can rebound from his failures. It also helps that Shaka had his go at the high pressure job as he will have pause about leaving.  And his recruiting network, including the guy who first broke this news, should give us glee.

Job well done by MU and the donors who stepped up.

Again, did anybody who says this watch his Texas teams?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2021, 12:18:47 PM »
Again, did anybody who says this watch his Texas teams?

Yes!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2021, 12:22:13 PM »
Dr. B

It is an exciting day to be a MU fan. The most high profile hire in MU history and anyone not excited is making a mistake, IMO. I am on the bandwagon.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 12:25:22 PM by Goose »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2021, 12:25:30 PM »
I am so happy that I forget how I feel about some posters on here. Today, Goose loves all of the faithful posters on Scoop.

Thank you father goose.  I share your optimism and excitement that Shaka can make Marquette great again!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2021, 12:27:43 PM »
Dr. B

It is an exciting day to be an MU fan. The most high profile hire in MU history and anyone not excited is making a mistake, IMO. I am on the bandwagon.

Not my guy but I will support him 100%. Will be a huge contrast to Wojo even though their records were almost identical in their last jobs. Granted that the B12 was a much tougher conference to play in.

Hopefully we will get a positive early indication of his recruiting prowess with current players and new recruits.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2021, 12:28:07 PM »
Chicos is pissed on twitter

Won’t even give him the five years?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2021, 12:38:22 PM »
I'll add my 2 cents.  NEVER before in the history of Marquette basketball has the university gone 'all-in' with the men's program. Coaching hires were always relatively low risk propositions.  Some worked out spectacularly, some were awful.  Even infrastructure investment lagged through history (think about KO's departure and the university still living in the 'Al era' at the time).

Today, Lovell/Scholl/BOT pushed all the chips into the center of the table.  They bet literally everything on this one hiring decision and the 8 figures it took to make it happen.  If MU basketball is your reason for supporting the university, you simply can't ask for a more profound commitment.  Let's all sincerely hope it succeeds.   
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 01:39:41 PM by jsglow »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Shaka to MU (Done deal v. 2.0)
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2021, 12:42:25 PM »
Yup, this hire is essentially for Lovell's and Scholl's jobs. It's a big time move, as someone said in the national perception thread Shaka is a huge name. Only this board is crazy enough to look at the intricate details on his tenure at Texas.

To most, hes still the guy who got VCU to the final four running that crazy defense.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2021, 12:43:21 PM »
I'll add my 2 cents.  NEVER before in the history of Marquette basketball has the university gone 'all-in' with the men's program. Coaching hires were always relatively low risk propositions.  Some worked out spectacularly, some were awful.  Even infrastructure investment lagged through history (think about KO's departure and the university still living in the 'Al era' at the time).

Today, Lovell/Scholl/BOT pushed all the chips into the center of the table.  They bet literally everything on this one hiring decision and the 9 figures it took to make it happen.  If MU basketball is your reason for supporting the university, you simply can't ask for a more profound commitment.  Let's all sincerely hope it succeeds.   

Yeah this seems like the hire they're betting on to bail out MU's financial issues.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2021, 12:45:27 PM »
jsglow

MU went all in and I applaud it and appreciate immensely. This is the most high profile hire in the history of a proud and great program. I have bashed MU 1000's of times here because this was what I have wanted for the program. If Shaka fails, he fails. But, I will never say MU did not go all in ever again. MU brass proved me wrong and I could not be happier.

FYI--for all of you that get tired of my bitching, those days are over. MU proved to me that the Men's Basketball Program means a great deal to the University. While this is not wiining on the court just yet, it is a winning day for the program. Again, this is the most high profile hire in program history and I hope everyone is on the bandwagon.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 12:48:11 PM by Goose »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2021, 12:46:25 PM »

Today, Lovell/Scholl/BOT pushed all the chips into the center of the table.  They bet literally everything on this one hiring decision and the 9 figures it took to make it happen.  If MU basketball is your reason for supporting the university, you simply can't ask for a more profound commitment.  Let's all sincerely hope it succeeds.   

Excellent comment, glow. (And welcome back!)

There was so much talk here about Lovell not caring even a little bit about Marquette basketball, so it's nice to see him and the BOT going all-in.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2021, 12:50:58 PM »

Were they not already all-in when they bought out Wojo? What does the Shaka pick contribute to that, the fact that Moser would've been a significantly cheaper option if he was interested?

The optics are a little concerning, considering all the recent layoffs.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2021, 12:53:30 PM »
jsglow

MU went all in and I applaud it and appreciate immensely. This is the most high profile hire in the history of a proud and great program. I have bashed MU 1000's of times here because this was what I have wanted for the program. If Shaka fails, he fails. But, I will never say MU did not go all in ever again. MU brass proved me wrong and I could not be happier.

FYI--for all of you that get tired of my bitching, those days are over. MU proved to me that the Men's Basketball Program means a great deal to the University. While this is not wiining on the court just yet, it is a winning day for the program. Again, this is the most high profile hire in program history and I hope everyone is on the bandwagon.

So we're keeping Wojo's win everyday culture?
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2021, 12:55:41 PM »

You inspired my newest Haiku in that thread.

It really is incredible that Marquette had several strong options. I won't lie...Smart wasn't my first choice. But he's a great hire and I am extremely excited for Marquette's future.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2021, 12:56:38 PM »

Nine figures? I hope you mean eight. Did MU give Shaka a Jon Gruden contract?

Hards Alumni

• All American

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2021, 01:01:37 PM »
Were they not already all-in when they bought out Wojo? What does the Shaka pick contribute to that, the fact that Moser would've been a significantly cheaper option if he was interested?

The optics are a little concerning, considering all the recent layoffs.

A great business understands this is a tipping point time in the university. Big time donors realized this a week or so ago and stepped up big time. This weekend, Marquette will get millions of free positive impressions on national TV.  Those will be seen by prospective students, their parents, recruits, advertisers. Influencers will comment and revert digitally many times more than that. In all honesty, MU earn that basketball investment back by Wednesday.

As to cost cutting, that's also a recognition of this tipping point. That journey will be a bumpier one as MU reinvents itself. That said, the university just put a bold ass statement out there that they were not prepared to do a week ago when in hunker down mode. Kudos to Lovell and Scholl.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2021, 01:21:12 PM »
Balls on da tayble, aina?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2021, 01:30:04 PM »
Nine figures? I hope you mean eight. Did MU give Shaka a Jon Gruden contract?

Between Wojo's buyout, Shaka's contract and any money they needed to pay UT it's surely 8.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 01:39:12 PM by jsglow »

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2021, 01:30:13 PM »
Posted less than an hour ago by @Karley_Marotta

"Marquette has a meeting soon where they will likely make the hiring of Shaka Smart official. One player telling me 'It’s been a really positive reaction. Shaka has a really good reputation and recruited a couple of us at Texas. The teams been super excited so far.' #MUBB"

https://twitter.com/Karley_Marotta/status/1375502441907687426
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2021, 01:36:00 PM »
Between Wojo's buyout, Shaka's contract and any money they needed to pay UT it's surely 9.

You're joking, right? Or bad at counting figures? You don't really think that MU committed $100 million+.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2021, 01:36:12 PM »
Dish, Goose, Glow, Blackheart, Muggsy et al - I totally agree. MU has made a HUGE statement with this hire, and demonstrated that they want to do what it takes to be a big-time player in the college hoops world.

I have expressed reservations about Shaka's recent performance. But I am optimistic that he will learn from the experience, and benefit from a change of scenery.

I will stand 100% behind him and MU leadership, and am optimistic for the future of MU hoops.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2021, 01:36:36 PM »
A great business understands this is a tipping point time in the university. Big time donors realized this a week or so ago and stepped up big time. This weekend, Marquette will get millions of free positive impressions on national TV.  Those will be seen by prospective students, their parents, recruits, advertisers. Influencers will comment and revert digitally many times more than that. In all honesty, MU earn that basketball investment back by Wednesday.

As to cost cutting, that's also a recognition of this tipping point. That journey will be a bumpier one as MU reinvents itself. That said, the university just put a bold ass statement out there that they were not prepared to do a week ago when in hunker down mode. Kudos to Lovell and Scholl.

Word.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2021, 01:38:40 PM »
You're joking, right? Or bad at counting figures? You don't really think that MU committed $100 million+.

Gd, I need to get my toes out when I count!  :o

Fixed. Sorry guys.