'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Team success vs, Individual sucess?  (Read 592 times)

Goose

• All American
Team success vs, Individual sucess?
« on: January 21, 2024, 09:21:43 AM »
I heard a great segment on ESPN radio a couple of weeks ago discussing how hard team success is in college basketball. It went into detail discussing Cal at UK and the success his players have had in the NBA and why that is not a bad thing. Cal has not been a great success in regard to banners, but has made a lot of guys an awful lot of money.

It got me thinking about Shaka and his desire to get guys to wherever their goals may take them. IMO, Omax being a first round draft pick last season does somewhat take the sting out of the MSU loss. We all want MU to have great team success, but I think we sometimes forget these kids are there because they have individual goals as well.

I am curious what others think on the topic because I thought it was an interesting discussion on ESPN. Winning at the highest level is extremely hard and probably unrealistic for most fans to think it is going to happen on a regular basis. I want MU to win it all and I also hope every kid reaches his post MU goal, whatever that is.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Team success vs, Individual sucess?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 09:50:24 AM »
I heard a great segment on ESPN radio a couple of weeks ago discussing how hard team success is in college basketball. It went into detail discussing Cal at UK and the success his players have had in the NBA and why that is not a bad thing. Cal has not been a great success in regard to banners, but has made a lot of guys an awful lot of money.

It got me thinking about Shaka and his desire to get guys to wherever their goals may take them. IMO, Omax being a first round draft pick last season does somewhat take the sting out of the MSU loss. We all want MU to have great team success, but I think we sometimes forget these kids are there because they have individual goals as well.

I am curious what others think on the topic because I thought it was an interesting discussion on ESPN. Winning at the highest level is extremely hard and probably unrealistic for most fans to think it is going to happen on a regular basis. I want MU to win it all and I also hope every kid reaches his post MU goal, whatever that is.
I have always believed that it is in MUs best long term interest to support kids in their desire to turn professional. More MU alum in NBA better off the program is going to be long run.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 10:01:07 AM »
 Simple arithmetic should be sufficient to make fans understand the chances of a natty. For some, anything less than a FF is a failure, and the reason that their team did not advance to the championship game is that the refs gave the game to the team that beat them. Many years ago, the tourney had the losers in the FF play each other for a champion plus designated 2nd through 4th place teams. I would like to see that resurrected.

I think your question is how we define success. If the natty is it, does every other team fail? I doubt that players, after leaving their schools, obsess over not winning the natty. They probably reminisce about games won that they were not expected to win. their relationships with their teammates and their coaches, I think fans should be open to learning from them about "the big picture".
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 10:04:30 AM »
If we had half as many recent final four banners as Cal I'd be happy.

6 Final Fours (3 @ UK)
6 SEC tournament titles
6 SEC regular championships
9 A10 & CUSA Tournament titles
10 A10 & CUSA regular championships

Assuming Kentucky's not too cool for FF & Conference banners I'd say he's done fine in the banner department at his current job and certainly over all.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 11:26:11 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

romey

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 10:09:27 AM »
Coincidentally, I was thinking similarly this past week.  During Al's tenure, he put a player into the NBA almost every year.  AND we were in the top 25 regularly during that stint.  So, the two can certainly go hand in hand.  In fact, when they won the national championship in 77, I believe 6 of those players were drafted.  Not all in one year, but as they became eligible.  I know the draft was deeper (in fact I have a very old Sporting News "NBA Official Guide" 1971-72 and teams drafted until they didn't want to pick any more.In 1971 there were 19 rounds,San Diego was the only team that picked in that round. Three teams picked in the 18th.  Dean the Dream was the 16th pick by the Knicks that year FYI

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 10:16:03 AM »
If we had half as many final four banners as Cal I'd be happy.

6 Final Fours (3 @ UK)

Uh. We do.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 11:09:09 AM »
Uh. We do.

Hah sorry I meant to write in the past decade or so.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2024, 11:25:02 AM »
Cal also has a Naty at UK.