[Today at 05:11:05 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hypothetical Question  (Read 2007 times)

The Lens

• All American
Hypothetical Question
« on: March 24, 2008, 05:07:59 PM »
Lets say an NCAA student-athlete has a family in college.  Could his or her school offer complimentary housing for his or her spouse / partner and his or her child?  Could his or her school provide childcare for said child?

Just wondering, thanks.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: Hypothetical Question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 05:17:03 PM »
There is family housing available but does that fall under improper benefits for the athlete participating in NCAA-sanctioned events.

You'd probably have better luck taking James to Turners for some pasta and asking him because I'm not sure any of us will really know the right answer.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 05:24:27 PM »
I bet Chicos knows and I think NY Warrior was a manager in the Will Gates days.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 05:46:21 PM »
If this rumor is true, why not play one more year and make a run into the second weekend/final four and get some momentum going into the draft....the money is Europe will always be there for James.  I think he is passing up a chance to get into the NBA.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 05:49:02 PM »
My quick look at the NCAA rules leads me to say that there is no way the school can offer anything to the athlete's spouse or child, except in very limited circumstances (don't forget Rick Majerus got in trouble for providing hotel meals to players--and he lived in the hotel).

From the book of surprises (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal):

16.6.1 Permissible.

An institution may not provide any expenses to a student-athlete's relatives or friends, except as permitted in 16.6.1 and 16.11.

16.6.1.1 Expenses for Spouse/Children to Postseason Football Game or NCAA Championship.

The institution may provide the cost of actual and necessary expenses (e.g., transportation, lodging, meals and expenses associated with team entertainment functions) for the spouse and children of an eligible student-athlete to accompany the student-athlete to a licensed postseason football game or an NCAA football championship in which the student-athlete is a participant, and in other sports, to one round (conducted at the site) of any NCAA championship in which the student-athlete is a participant. (Revised:  2/1/05)

16.6.1.3.1 Family Member of Student-Athlete.

An institution may pay transportation, housing and meal expenses for a student-athlete, a student-athlete's spouse and/or children and the student-athlete's teammates to be present in situations in which a family member or legal guardian of the student-athlete suffers a life-threatening injury or illness or, in the event of a family member's or legal guardian's death, to provide the student-athlete and the student-athlete's teammates with expense in conjunction with funeral arrangements. (Adopted: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/95; Revised: 11/1/01 effective 8/1/02, 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02, 5/22/07)

16.11.1.1 General Rule.

Receipt of a benefit (including otherwise prohibited extra benefits per Bylaw 16.11.2) by student-athletes, their relatives or friends is not a violation of NCAA rules if it is demonstrated that the same benefit is generally available to the institution's students and their relatives or friends.

16.11.1.3 Loan from Established Family Friend.

A student-athlete may receive a loan from an established family friend without such arrangement constituting an extra benefit, provided: (Adopted: 1/11/94)

(a) The loan is not offered to the student-athlete based in any degree on his or her athletics ability or reputation;

(b) The individual providing the loan is not considered a representative of the institution's athletics interests; and

(c) The relationship between the individual providing the loan and the student-athlete existed prior to the initiation of the student-athlete's recruitment by the member institution.
Ludum habemus.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »
Lets say an NCAA student-athlete has a family in college.  Could his or her school offer complimentary housing for his or her spouse / partner and his or her child?  Could his or her school provide childcare for said child?

Just wondering, thanks.

It was never my area of work or study, but I don't recall there being an option for this. 

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 09:50:08 PM »

Just wondering, thanks.

It was never my area of work or study, but I don't recall there being an option for this. 

Wasn't Wade in this situation while at MU?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »
And Will Gates.