[Today at 10:35:30 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Avenue Commons
[Today at 10:20:33 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rosiak's Latest On Buzz Rumors  (Read 15909 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Rosiak's Latest On Buzz Rumors
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2011, 12:00:01 PM »
Weber inquired about our opening when a-hole left.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
If you want to know how Bruce Weber gets his recruits, the answer is assistant coach, Jerrance Howard.  It's no coincidence that Weber's classes started picking up once Howard came on board.  Howard is thought of as one of the best recruiters in college basketball.  Pretty sure that he has been mentioned for some big jobs in the past.

Realistically, I don't think anyone comes in next year without Marquette's program taking a step back (at least in the short term).  Buzz walked into the perfect situation with some known commodities and leaders in his first year.  Buzz did a wonderful job with them and has continued on that track.  I don't see those guys being left over on next year's roster.  I think Buzz may be on the verge of something special here but we are still a few years away.    

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2011, 12:12:31 PM »
Buzz needs to remain the man. Cottingham cannot allow Buzz to leave so quickly.

Goose!  Finally we agree on something.  Well done.   ;D
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2011, 12:21:20 PM »
Shaka Smart might be a nice hire. My only question would be if he can recruit at this level. Does anyone know what he did at Florida? I have to imagine he got some good recruiting pointers from Donovan and Purnell, and I'm a big fan of their style of play. He'd be on my short list.

I would like Wojo as a hire, mainly because I admired him as a player. Not great, but steady and smart. Of course, learning from K is a plus. Bennett wouldn't be bad, but I'm leery of his production of late and his moving around. Would we be a destination or just another stop?

How about guys currently on our staff? Maybe Aki Collins or Scott Monarch? Neither really have the high-major experience, but neither did Buzz.

Other guys that I could see...

Tommy Amaker - I know he might not be the most popular name, but he was a rising star at SHU before Michigan derailed him. But that was a bad situation from the start. Very good recruiter that is back on the rise and actually has experience at the high-major level

Chris Mack - He's getting top 100 players to Xavier and continuing what Miller started. Not sure he would be able to replicate it, but it's hard not to admire what today's opponent has done in recent years.

Hope Buzz stays, but if he doesn't....

I don't see why Mack, a Xavier alum, would want to come to MU for the gauntlet when he has a cushy gig there.  Miller made more sense since he was a Pitt guy and not a Xavier alum.  I do think that he ends up at Pitt if Dixon leaves.

I like the idea of Amaker in many ways.  He's had to learn now how to coach without superior athletes, the stint at Harvard has probably made him a better coach.  That being said, he didn't meet expectations the first time around at Seton Hall, though he did take Seton Hall to the Sweet 16, something only ONE MU coach has done in the last 16 years.  Granted, luck and the draw have a lot to do with that, but nevertheless he did have some success.  He was only 33 at the time, that's awfully young.

At Michigan, he had to deal with NCAA probation which didn't help his cause at all.

Is Amaker 2.0 better than 1.0?  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:23:03 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »
Weber inquired about our opening when a-hole left.

Really?  In 1994 when KO left Weber was inquiring about the MU job?  He wasn't even the head coach of SIU yet.  Good for him for taking the initiative.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2011, 12:30:22 PM »
I hope it doesn't come to this, but if it does John Groce should be high on Cottingham's list. He was Matta's top guy at Ohio State when they recovered fast from the Jim O'Brien mess, and before that he was with Matta at Butler and Xavier. He's been at Ohio University the past three years, and led them to a big upset win over Georgetown in last year's tournament. They took a slight step back this year, which isn't a huge surprise as they're pretty young and lost three starters from the year before, but finished strong (11-4 in last 15, including a 25-point pasting of NCAA-bound Akron).

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2011, 12:37:14 PM »
Is Amaker 2.0 better than 1.0?  

No. He's not. Amaker is not the answer. He's on his third team. Probation or not at Michigan, he had time to make an impact and move the program forward. It moved sideways at best. He is not the answer.

Go for a top flight guy (unlikely to come), and if that falls through, get a top assistant known for recruiting. Coaching will take care of itself.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »
I hope it doesn't come to this, but if it does John Groce should be high on Cottingham's list. He was Matta's top guy at Ohio State when they recovered fast from the Jim O'Brien mess, and before that he was with Matta at Butler and Xavier. He's been at Ohio University the past three years, and led them to a big upset win over Georgetown in last year's tournament. They took a slight step back this year, which isn't a huge surprise as they're pretty young and lost three starters from the year before, but finished strong (11-4 in last 15, including a 25-point pasting of NCAA-bound Akron).

I thought of him as well....I don't like the Matta linkage because I don't trust Matta's recruiting at all, but Groce has done some good things in the MAC.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2011, 12:41:26 PM »
How about the Morehead State guy?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »
No. He's not. Amaker is not the answer. He's on his third team. Probation or not at Michigan, he had time to make an impact and move the program forward. It moved sideways at best. He is not the answer.

Go for a top flight guy (unlikely to come), and if that falls through, get a top assistant known for recruiting. Coaching will take care of itself.

I'd rather get a coach known for his recruiting.  Tired of going after assistants that have to be wet nursed on the job.  Let them cut their teeth in the mid majors on how to coach, not up here.  If we were in the dumps, I'm fine with an assistant.  If we're at where we are at, I hate the assist. coach route.

I don't disagree with you on Amaker, just asking the question.  Appreciate the response.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2011, 12:59:26 PM »
How about the Morehead State guy?

How 'bout just Morehead?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Ners--We probably agree on the big picture more than you think. We just have difference of opinion on how to accomplish the goal. I think money rules the coaching world and you believe we are destined to hire assistants on mid major guys every 3-4 years.

We also agree on the greatness of the 70's and the Al legacy. Think positively, you are correct more than you think:)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2011, 02:30:54 PM »

Think positively, you are correct more than you think:)

Au contraire Goose.  Ners always thinks he's correct.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2011, 02:41:04 PM »
Au contraire Goose.  Ners always thinks he's correct.

I guess when it comes to being a Buzz Williams fanboy..and having defended the hell out of Buzz on this board for the last 1.5 years...I have been pretty "correct."  Seems Buzz is thought of pretty highly in basketball circles..and likely will have a few offers to consider other than MU.  Yet we've had some fans ripping the hell out of him on this board..questioning if he should be fired/or be on the hot seat??  WOW.

As far as predictions..not so right...optimistically went for 12-6 this year in Big East...

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »
I thought of him as well....I don't like the Matta linkage because I don't trust Matta's recruiting at all, but Groce has done some good things in the MAC.

DeCourcy will pump Groce as a candidate .... friends taking care of friends

Goose

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2011, 02:45:04 PM »
Ners---Does Buzz stay or go?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »

How 'bout just Morehead?

would mellow out some of the uptight motherunnatural carnal knowledgeers on this board.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2011, 03:20:48 PM »
Ners---Does Buzz stay or go?

I believe he stays.  Too many relationships developed within the MU community, within greater MKE, has laid too much groundwork/foundation to the program/recruiting - to walk away now.  His recruiting will likely only get easier at MU - now that he's proven himself as a coach (contrary to what some may think), and he has a good nucleus of young talent on the roster..along with the incoming class.

Think getting Todd Mayo here could have more value than we may ever realize - as that was a pretty heated recruiting battle and we won.  We missed on a few in the fall - Faust, Hood, Shaw - but getting Mayo who many feel was the best prospect available..and beating WVU, Memphis, etc..for his services had to be encouraging to Buzz.  Buzz does feel he can get talent to MKE/MU...which is a positive..though he might have to work harder to get it here..which would be the negative.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2011, 03:22:39 PM »
I guess when it comes to being a Buzz Williams fanboy..and having defended the hell out of Buzz on this board for the last 1.5 years...I have been pretty "correct."  Seems Buzz is thought of pretty highly in basketball circles..and likely will have a few offers to consider other than MU.  Yet we've had some fans ripping the hell out of him on this board..questioning if he should be fired/or be on the hot seat??  WOW.

As far as predictions..not so right...optimistically went for 12-6 this year in Big East...

5% have called for his firing.  You're always going to have 5% that are so in love they don't know what to do (like you) and 5% that want him fired.  Look at McCarthy's support from Packers fans the the last few years.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2011, 03:23:33 PM »
Let's not be naive. Money talks and bullsheet walks.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »
would mellow out some of the uptight motherfrackers on this board.

Couldn't agree more.  More head.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2011, 03:26:20 PM »
5% have called for his firing.  You're always going to have 5% that are so in love they don't know what to do (like you) and 5% that want him fired.  Look at McCarthy's support from Packers fans the the last few years.

Agree on the 5% fired percentage..think you could add about 15% more of fan base who thought hot seat...and add about 30% more of the fan base who significantly questioned Buzz's coaching ability, and even recruiting practices (like you.)

In my view roughly 50% of our fanbase...as measured by this board (which is probably the most passionate core of our fanbase), was starting to get restless/voice some serious displeasure.  

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2011, 03:32:51 PM »
Probably discussed before but what would Buzz be getting into at either Arkansas or Oklahoma?(recruits, players remaining, facility wise, NCAA violations) and how does Marquette compare from an unbiased opinion?   And why isn't Josh Pastner's name coming up for these jobs -- especially Arkansas or Tenn.?  

It's not like these other schools are in the top "5 -7" range in terms of coaching jobs; and Marquette compares pretty favorably.  I would be more worried if this was Texas coming after him.    

Just seems if Marquette wants to keep Buzz they have the resources to do it.  Makes me question what kind of relationship Buzz and C-Ham have.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »
Shack...MU's biggest problems are that it is a bad recruiting area and doesn't have a football team that can guaranty its long term stability in a major conference.  Arkansas and Oklahoma are closer to Texas, which Buzz knows like the back of his hand, and both are in solid conferences.  Arkansas also has a much better on-campus arena.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2011, 03:41:02 PM »
Let's not be naive. Money talks and bullsheet walks.

Would he really leave for money though?  I think MU would match anything Oklahoma or Arkansas would offer, I can't see them paying more than $2M for a coach with Buzz's limited resume.  If Buzz leaves, he leaves, but I don't think it's for money.  Maybe to be closer to home and his strongest recruiting region, but not money.

feedback