[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rosiak's Latest On Buzz Rumors  (Read 15911 times)

Litehouse

• All American
Re: Rosiak's Latest On Buzz Rumors
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »
MU isn't in a bad recruiting area, Buzz just has more contacts in Texas/Oklahoma than he does in Chicago.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2011, 03:45:57 PM »
MU isn't in a bad recruiting area, Buzz just has more contacts in Texas/Oklahoma than he does in Chicago.

There is nothing great about MKE as a recruiting area...lots of challenges...limited in state talent...small school...weather....girls...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2011, 03:46:26 PM »
No, not money alone. But all things considered, to me it's a foregone conclusion. Ark, OK, and Tenn have unlimited resources.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »
Shack...MU's biggest problems are that it is a bad recruiting area and doesn't have a football team that can guaranty its long term stability in a major conference.  Arkansas and Oklahoma are closer to Texas, which Buzz knows like the back of his hand, and both are in solid conferences.  Arkansas also has a much better on-campus arena.

Good points.  I've heard Buzz mention on his radio show what a pain in the ass it is to recruit guys from the South based on where he lives.  He has to hop on a plane and spend maybe an hour with them at most, rather than being able to drive to a game/recruit after practice.

Maybe we need a coach with some better Chicago connections.  Wisconsin is limited but we should be doing better in Chicago/Indianapolis region than what we are currently doing.  Crean did well at that..obviously.  

Goose

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »
Ners---Why the negative vibe on state high school talent? We have far more talent locally than we had 30 years ago. Buzz has done well in WI landing some talent for us.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »
I think Buzz will stick around now that he finally has a roster he build and see where he can go with it. He doesn't strike me as the type of person that finally
reaches one of his goals in life and then turns it around to be all about him.His talent is finally real competitive, and I think he sticks around to see what he can do with it. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2011, 04:06:15 PM »
Ners---Why the negative vibe on state high school talent? We have far more talent locally than we had 30 years ago. Buzz has done well in WI landing some talent for us.

Generally WI turns out about 2 legitimate high major players per year....compare that to a state like Indiana (even with similar population as WI), that turns out 5-10 on average...plus factor in that MU isn't the "flagship" university of WI..very challenging.

Memphis..for example can field a very talented team..just based off of Memphis talent alone.  
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »
Agree with Randy... that Buzz had done a very good job recruiting talent and has a team that he has built.  Buzz will want to stay with "his" team.  After all, he is a young coach and is positioning to take Marquette to the top ten again.  Hope he can land an "air craft carrier" that will make MU a real power.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2011, 04:09:22 PM »
 He has to hop on a plane and spend maybe an hour with them at most, rather than being able to drive to a game/recruit after practice.

Norman and Fayetteville are not the solution to that problem.  If Buzz wants to make drives, then talented players are farther away from Norman than Chicago now.  He will still be getting on planes to get his recruiting done at OU.  It's a shorter flight to Texas from there, but still a plane ride.  

Buzz has gotten Vander, J-May, and Jamil Wilson to commit.  He has gotten reasonably far with Tokoto and Mike Shaw.  He is not doing bad with the local guys.  He won't win them all unless he can throw up "hook em horns."  

I would imagine he would get pretty much the same amount of local talent at OU that he is getting here.  UNC/Duke caliber players are no more likely to commit to OU compared to Madison or Marquette.  He will still lose those.  OU and Ark would not end his plane rides.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »
I would imagine he would get pretty much the same amount of local talent at OU that he is getting here.  UNC/Duke caliber players are no more likely to commit to OU compared to Madison or Marquette.  He will still lose those.  OU and Ark would not end his plane rides.

Actually, they probably are if they come from Oklahoma or Arkansas.
Of the four all-time McDonald's AAs from Wisconsin, UW had landed two, MU none.
Of the five all time from Arkansas, the University of Arkansas has landed four.
Of the eight all time from Oklahoma, OU has landed 3. (Kansas got three others. UNC/Duke got none).

Being the flagship state university, especially in an area that lacks major pro sports, is a big advantage when recruiting in-state kids.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »
Ners, I think you are being generous about the two, high major players per year.  I think it is one or two a year.  For instance, in this years class, Wisconsin has produced Jesperson from Merrill who is going to Virginia...and possibly Lomomba from Memorial...although nothing has been determined yet.  For 2012 there is Tokoto and...Duane Wilson?

Chicago produces a lot of talent, but NOTHING compared to Texas.  For instance, in the 2010 Rivals 150, 13 came from Texas, 6 from Illinois and 1 from Wisconsin.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
Norman and Fayetteville are not the solution to that problem.  If Buzz wants to make drives, then talented players are farther away from Norman than Chicago now.

I mentioned this in another post, but Texas has more top talent than Chicago does.  Not even close.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2011, 05:42:15 PM »
Would he really leave for money though?  I think MU would match anything Oklahoma or Arkansas would offer, I can't see them paying more than $2M for a coach with Buzz's limited resume.  If Buzz leaves, he leaves, but I don't think it's for money.  Maybe to be closer to home and his strongest recruiting region, but not money.

Last year DePaul was rumored to be willing go as high as $2.5 million/year for a top line coach.  Everyone turned them down.  They wound up paying $1.7m for Oliver Purnell. 

Not a bad hire and has a lot longer resume than Buzz.  Cannot see him worth $2/year right now.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2011, 05:45:28 PM »
With his decision yo leave or stay , Buzz Williams "character will be revealed." Like he says its not about the Buzz Williams rock in the bottle, but all the other rocks and the sand and the water that are important.  Does Buzz believe his own "life lessons" or are they just a bunch of hot air?  We will soon find out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2011, 05:47:31 PM »
With his decision yo leave or stay , Buzz Williams "character will be revealed."

Why?  As long as he stands by the terms of his contract, he is under no moral obligation to remain here.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »
Nevermind ::)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »
I think (and hear) there's almost no chance Buzz leaves for Arkansas or Tennessee. Oklahoma is another story - they would be very hard to say no to. I agree with mug though - if he leaves he's not the guy I thought he was.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2011, 06:18:40 PM »
Ners, I think you are being generous about the two, high major players per year.  I think it is one or two a year.  For instance, in this years class, Wisconsin has produced Jesperson from Merrill who is going to Virginia...and possibly Lomomba from Memorial...although nothing has been determined yet.  For 2012 there is Tokoto and...Duane Wilson?

Jesperson.. Elgin cook in 2011.  Lomomba is a 2012, bro.  And depends on how you define WI players...

2012.. Tokoto (UNC), Dekker (WI), Lomomba.. Cinmeon Bowers, Arroyo Edwards possibilities... call Phillip Nolan a non-WI kid if you want, but..

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2011, 06:25:20 PM »
Elgin Cook doesn't live in this state anymore. He moved to Texas.

feedback