Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PT] Blue moves one step closer to NBA dream  (Read 3632 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: [PT] Blue moves one step closer to NBA dream
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:46:41 AM »
So realistically, what are his chances of making the team?

Its great for him that he gets some guaranteed money but I think most of us MU fans really only care if he makes an NBA roster, not that he's going to bring in a few hundred K.

I am certainly still rooting for the guy. I hope he finds a spot somewhere.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:53:36 AM »

Its great for him that he gets some guaranteed money but I think most of us MU fans really only care if he makes an NBA roster, not that he's going to bring in a few hundred K.

Pulled from the other Vander to Philly thread...

I was predicting Vander would end up on the end of the bench for a cap-strained contender (and he still may) but Philly looks like a much better situation for him.

Sixers Guards
James Anderson SG
Michael Carter-Williams PG
Jason Richardson SG (likely out until January)
Evan Turner G/F (plays more SF)
Tony Wroten Combo

Anderson and Wroten should be Blue's primary competition for an NBA roster spot (i.e. not in the Sixers D-League). Anderson was claimed off of waivers and has primarily been a D-League guy since being drafted. Wroten was a 1st Round pick last season who came out too early (he played against MU at MSG). He has some game but his shooting ability makes Blue look like Steve Novak. He's owed guaranteed money but could spend some time in the D-League again. IOW, neither guy is a lock to be on the NBA roster come opening night.

Especially given Richardson's injury, there's a roster spot to be had on this team. Hopefully Vander makes the best of his opportunity.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 09:58:27 AM »
Interesting that none of the MU basketball twitter accounts put out a congratulatory notice. When Lockett signed it was high fives all around.  Either they hate Vander, or this is a deal that will pay him for a month of training camp. Seems like it is a step up from Junior's invite to Bucks camp, but not anything near what Lockett was signed for.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »
Interesting that none of the MU basketball twitter accounts put out a congratulatory notice. When Lockett signed it was high fives all around.  Either they hate Vander, or this is a deal that will pay him for a month of training camp. Seems like it is a step up from Junior's invite to Bucks camp, but not anything near what Lockett was signed for.

I really hope its not the former. That would be small and petty. He's an MU guy. I disagreed with his decision but now that's done I hope he makes it on a roster.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 10:20:56 AM »
I really hope its not the former. That would be small and petty. He's an MU guy. I disagreed with his decision but now that's done I hope he makes it on a roster.

+1

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:39:32 AM »
 Juan and Jamil both congratulated him.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »

It may not be official yet (i.e. contract signed, physical passed, etc). The Sixers website doesn't mention anything about it nor is he listed on their roster.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »
or this is a deal that will pay him for a month of training camp.

I think this is the case. The staff wasn't pleased with how he handled the decision, but I don't think there would be any pettiness.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 06:04:31 PM »
Trent Lockett ‏@T_Lockett22  15m 
@Vander13lue caught wind that my dog signed. Congrats bro, I'm happy for you! Keep grindin, that's all we know...

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 06:30:02 AM »
It may not be official yet (i.e. contract signed, physical passed, etc). The Sixers website doesn't mention anything about it nor is he listed on their roster.

Agreed it is not official yet....because I went to the Sixers site on NBA.com yesterday and saw nothing of it.

Not one word about Vander's signing or camp invite...as of today.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 06:36:16 AM »

His chance of making the Sixers IS EXCELLENT.

There is not one team in the entire league that he would have a better shot then the one he has with this team.

This team might not win 15 games and is in an obvious rebuild. Perfect place for him.

At the very least he can be a 10 th man and spend some time in the D-League for the Sixers and that is if he falls on his face...which I doubt.

On a scale of 1-10 I would give him an 8.5 chance to make it.

If his jumper is falling all camp....setting up the mid range and opening up the driving lanes he is a can't miss. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »

We have enough guys in the Association; I'm perfectly happy with Vander making a few hundred K at age 20, NBA, NBDL, Euro, Dan Fitz's Japan League, anywhere.  All I want for former MU players is for them to be successful.  Six figures in any profession is pretty good.  Whether that Terry Sanders selling outdoor media or Vander playing hoops somewhere.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »
We have enough guys in the Association; I'm perfectly happy with Vander making a few hundred K at age 20, NBA, NBDL, Euro, Dan Fitz's Japan League, anywhere.  All I want for former MU players is for them to be successful.  Six figures in any profession is pretty good.  Whether that Terry Sanders selling outdoor media or Vander playing hoops somewhere.

You can never have enough guys in the association

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 02:59:03 PM »
You can never have enough guys in the association

We've got Buzz, there will be plenty more. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback