Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: State Championship Title Games Today  (Read 6854 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
State Championship Title Games Today
« on: March 15, 2014, 08:13:43 AM »
http://www.wiaawi.org/Sports/BoysBasketball.aspx

Diamond Stone, Henry Ellenson and Matt Heldt all playing for state titles today and tonight.

Watched Heldt play yesterday.  Very thin, but can hit the mid range jumper and the 3 as well as a few nice post moves.  Seems like a good fit for UWGB.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:26:25 AM by We R Final Four »

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
Re: State Championship Title Games Today
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:16:15 AM »
I saw Henry Ellenson yesterday.  He had a very quiet 20+ points but was an absolute monster on the boards.  now granted, Greendale was not very big at all, but Ellenson was impressive.  Had over 20 pts and 20+ boards.  He handles the ball well and has a pure looking jump shot.  Initially he was playing more on the perimeter and wasn't very effective, but when he got down on the low block, he dominated.  He was the difference in the win over Greendale.  Reminds me a little of Jamil Wilson, but better.

On a side note, I can't understand why Greendale PG Jordan Perez does not have  a D-1 scholarship. Currently has a full ride to Minnesota-Duluth but is holding out for a D1 scholarship.   If I'm UWM or UWGB I take a long hard look at this kid as he has all the intangibles for a PG... size, athleticism, heart, good basketball IQ and ability to take over a game.
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 09:53:05 AM »
With those qualities, maybe even a school closer to home would take a look.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 11:00:46 AM »
Saw Ellenson play in Marshfield. VERY GOOD PLAYER. Plays with knowledge of the game. Physical also.
Can shoot. Team Player.  1 Ellenson, 2 Stone 3 Noskowiak 4 Schwartz 4 Heldt. Schwartz didn't look to good on TV.

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 11:44:45 AM »
Ellenson is impressive but no way is he better than Stone.  Stone has the potential to be the best center ever to come out of Wisconsin. Way more upside
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
For those of us living outside of Wisconsin, please keep us posted on how these games go. Also, how are/have Cohen and Noskowiak's teams fared in the state tourney and how have they themselves looked?
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 02:23:44 PM »
For those of us living outside of Wisconsin, please keep us posted on how these games go. Also, how are/have Cohen and Noskowiak's teams fared in the state tourney and how have they themselves looked?
Both lost in sectional finals.  Both played very well.  Cohen had 26 in the loss and had 41 in a previous game.  Nick was scoring in the 20s and led his team to the sectional final.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 07:55:19 PM »
Mayo---Agreed Stone has all the potential, but for now Ellenson's all-around game is better. Doesn't look like it against Wisco Lutheran. Handles the ball quite well though.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »
Mayo---Agreed Stone has all the potential, but for now Ellenson's all-around game is better. Doesn't look like it against Wisco Lutheran. Handles the ball quite well though.
Ellenson has Wisconsin written all over him as far as the type of game he plays. He would fit perfectly there, would still like to see him at mu. Stone almost had a quadruple double 2 games in a row so he has a pretty good overall game as well. Really not the same type of players so not a good comparison between the two

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 08:31:17 PM »
Ellenson has Wisconsin written all over him as far as the type of game he plays. He would fit perfectly there, would still like to see him at mu. Stone almost had a quadruple double 2 games in a row so he has a pretty good overall game as well. Really not the same type of players so not a good comparison between the two

Henry is too versatile for Becky.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 08:38:41 PM »
Henry is too versatile for Becky.
he is versatile. But when you watch him he looks like every other Wisconsin big and no I am not talking about "traditional"

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 09:00:26 PM »

The Rice Lake fans we talked to say he wants to leave wisconsin and sparty leads for Henry with Creighton being a real player... They say he sees himself as another McDermott.

When comparing the two right now... Henry plays hard. Diamond makes it look easy. Often plays too laid back, but when his motor is high there is no comparison IMHO.  Diamond blocked everything while looking like he wasn't trying.  Diamond is also an incredible passer. Haven't seen a big pass as well as him in a long time
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:04:11 PM by Hold the Mayo »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 09:08:36 PM »
The Rice Lake fans we talked to say he wants to leave wisconsin and sparty leads for Henry with Creighton being a real player... They say he sees himself as another McDermott.

When comparing the two right now... Henry plays hard. Diamond makes it look easy. Often plays too laid back, but when his motor is high there is no comparison IMHO.  Diamond blocked everything while looking like he wasn't trying.  Diamond is also an incredible passer. Haven't seen a big pass as well as him in a long time
Love to see him at Creighton. Away from Becky is good.

You nailed it on stone. He looks lanky. Once his body fills out he will be even better.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 09:14:44 PM »
Here's hoping Stone plays four more games on the Kohl Center court in his life. 2 in next year's state tourney and 2 in college  ;)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 11:30:13 PM »
With those qualities, maybe even a school closer to home would take a look.

He didn't say he had a three point shot.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 11:34:29 PM »

Ellenson is the Big East would be awesome.  Come on Creighton.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 04:34:06 AM »

Ellenson is exactly the kind of player MU needs, because with his attitude he would contribute right away. Anyone coming in thinking they're all that isn't going to play no matter what their ranking is by Scout, Rivals, etc.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 06:23:13 AM »

But...but...people here said Creighton would suck after this year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 08:00:45 AM »
But...but...people here said Creighton would suck after this year.

Creighton will have a rough year beginning this fall. Rough.

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 09:12:08 AM »
Championship game numbers:
Diamond Stone 28 pts, 11 rebounds, 8 blocks
Henry Ellenson 21 pts, 12 rebounds (7 of 17 shots were threes)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 09:35:06 AM »

If he wants to go away to school but retain his hometown connection, Creighton would be a good choice.  Guaranteed one game in Milwaukee and one in Chicago every year for family that wants to see him play.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 09:42:25 AM »

Well, at least Gibbs has 7 or 8 years of eligibility left, no?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »
I loved seeing the MKE area schools whoop these small little towns. Always fun and always causes commotion at the WIAA offices

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 10:57:16 AM »

Gone this year are McDermott, Wragge, Manigat and Gibbs - the four of the five starters.

Yeah, pretty rough when 63% of your total offense leaves.

Chatman (starter, 7.7 ppg), Brooks (6.8), and Artino (5.8) are the next highest ppg among the returning players.
And they'll be seniors next year.
SS Marquette

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 02:34:25 PM »
Ellenson is exactly the kind of player MU needs, because with his attitude he would contribute right away. Anyone coming in thinking they're all that isn't going to play no matter what their ranking is by Scout, Rivals, etc.
i've watched him play two games, so i'm far from knowledgeable, but i wasn't impressed at all.  SOFT.  if he really think he's going to be the next mcbuckets he's clueless as to what he needs to do to improve his game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
Gone this year are McDermott, Wragge, Manigat and Gibbs - the four of the five starters.

Chatman (starter, 7.7 ppg), Brooks (6.8), and Artino (5.8) are the next highest ppg among the returning players.
And they'll be seniors next year.

Yup, losing 4 starters hurts a ton, especially when they represent that much in scoring, rebounding, defense, etc.  A few other teams found that out.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »

Right. But even more than that, consider the uniqueness of Doug (39% shots) and Ethan (low usage, but 18% shots with size).. and how Gibbs fits in.. Manigat playing out of his mind... just ultra efficiency. Truly amazing shooting.

Next year they should take a dump on themselves (relative to the last couple years).

feedback