'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sagarin Rating  (Read 1160 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Sagarin Rating
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:35:36 AM »
We jumped from 30 to 27 in this computer ranking with our win against the Johnnies. While it is not the NCAA ranking, it has been compiled for a few years.

Surprisingly, our schedule ranking is 28, while the SOS they show on our resume on TV has been in the 60's. I ssume that is the NCAA ranking on TV.

These computer rankings sure show vast differences from ranking to ranking. Guess the only one that matters is the NCAA ranking about 2 1/2 weeks from now.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Sagarin Rating
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »
We jumped from 30 to 27 in this computer ranking with our win against the Johnnies. While it is not the NCAA ranking, it has been compiled for a few years.

Surprisingly, our schedule ranking is 28, while the SOS they show on our resume on TV has been in the 60's. I ssume that is the NCAA ranking on TV.

These computer rankings sure show vast differences from ranking to ranking. Guess the only one that matters is the NCAA ranking about 2 1/2 weeks from now.

The rankings you see on tv are all RPI rankings (SOS and RPI...from the same index).  Sagarin, Pomeroy, and 20 others all factor in point spreads (with a diminishing returns cap to prevent blow outs from over penalizing\rewarding teams).

The RPI doesn't care if you win by 1 point or 400 points.  It does care if the win was on the road or at home and it factors in what your opponents do and your opponents opponents records.

That's the major difference in the approach and why the systems are so different.  I've always believed in a point spread system like Pomeroy and Sagarin as a truer measurement, but the RPI is owned by the NCAA.  Having said all that, the selection committee does use other sources, including other "unnamed" ranking services.