'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Untucked, a guest essay from Steve Rushin  (Read 3379 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Untucked, a guest essay from Steve Rushin
« on: February 23, 2009, 05:00:03 AM »
Untucked, a guest essay from Steve Rushin

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (Tim Blair)

Most of you know Steve Rushin for his inspired work at Sports Illustrated where his "Air and Space" column was required reading for nearly 20 years.  One of his most memorable SI columns was his take on the Warriors' run to the 2003 Final Four.

Steve remains a prolific writer and dedicated Marquette hoops fan.  As the team enters the home stretch of the season Steve was gracious enough to author a personal reflection on the basketball program for Cracked Sidewalks,  a gem we'll call "Untucked."  Steve, thanks very much.

UNTUCKED

As Catholic school kids in the 1970s, my buddy Mike and I passed the time in class sketching basketball uniforms to replace the ones our 7th-grade team was forced to wear – the ones with "B.V.M." sewn across the front, the monogram of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Mike's dad had gone to Marquette and the dream jerseys we drew up were always some variation on the Warriors': Untucked and untuckable, the way we wanted to wear our uniforms – school and basketball uniforms – at Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Bloomington, Minnesota.

Though mine was a hockey family, I was influenced by those '77 Warriors in ways I wouldn't realize until later. Al McGuire seemed to have, even for that era, an extraordinary number of buttons on his vest and suit jacket. And then there was that poster from '77, of all those Warriors in pastel prom tuxes spilling out of a Packard convertible. To a 10-year-old, those tuxes said, "You've arrived." Precisely where you had arrived dressed like that – eleven men piling out of a single clown car – was a question I hadn't yet entertained.

In 1983, when my Dad was driving home from 3M headquarters in St. Paul, he heard on Sid Hartman's radio show that a local high school sports star – Tom Copa of Coon Rapids, Minnesota – had signed a letter of intent to play basketball at Marquette.

"You should apply to Marquette," my Dad said. I thought of basketball warm-up pants and tuxedo ruffles and nine-button suits, and I instantly agreed with him. I had never been to Milwaukee.

Only then did I begin to follow Marquette basketball. From this remove, a quarter-century later, those days are a blur of hairdos. In 1984, when I arrived on campus – not in a Packard convertible, alas, but in the back of my Dad's Buick Regal – Marquette basketball was in transition. The magnificent jheri curls of Terry Reason were yielding to the eventual flat-top of Tom Copa.

There's a famous episode of "The Simpsons" in which Grandpa Abe is watching Super Bowl III: The flowing locks of Joe Namath are about to vanquish the buzz-cut of Johnny Unitas, both in the game and in the culture at large.

"Johnny Unitas," says Grandpa Abe, middle-aged and out of touch. "Now there's a haircut you can set your watch to."

Twenty-five years ago, Marquette basketball was going precisely the opposite way – the bohemian, Samsonian locks of Reason making way for the regimental 'dos of Copa & Co. Players tucked in their jerseys. Rick Majerus, of all people, wore a blazer and tie. The MU sports information department couldn't find room in its budget for luxury automobiles or large-scale tuxedo rentals. And the Warriors suffered for these sins.

It was no coincidence that Notre Dame beat us eight times in four years, led by a point guard – David Rivers – whose listed six feet of height included a full four inches of 'fro. Style matters.

And so to me, it wasn't Dwyane Wade or Tom Crean who ultimately signaled the return of Marquette basketball. To me, it was the introduction of the powder blue uniforms that said Marquette had arrived again. Arrived in a metaphorical Packard, wearing a lime-green tuxedo.

My daughter was three last spring when I bought her one of those jerseys. It remains way too big, so she wears it like a dress.

Which is to say, untucked.

###

Steve Rushin graduated from Marquette University in 1988 and promptly joined the staff of Sports Illustrated, where he was a writer for 19 years.  Among his many accolades,  Rushin was named the National Sportswriter of the Year by the National Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association in 2006. Rushin also delivered the commencement address at Marquette University in 2007.    For more information please visit SteveRushin.com.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2009/02/untucked-guest-essay-from-steve-rushin.html

GGGG

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Untucked, a guest essay from Steve Rushin
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:42:33 AM »
[And so to me, it wasn't Dwyane Wade or Tom Crean who ultimately signaled the return of Marquette basketball. To me, it was the introduction of the powder blue uniforms that said Marquette had arrived again.

Yes!  I know *exactly* what he is saying here.  MU basketball has always been, in part, about flash in quite a stark contrast to the institution and the city in which it is located.  It is why we wear gold for the big games at home.  It is why they broke out the powder blues, although I guess they have been branded as bad luck and my guess won't see the light of day for the rest of the year.

Man, I cannot wait for Wednesday.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:31:19 AM »
I remember when I first started reading Rushin in SI, I didn't know anything about him.  But after reading him for a while I started to think, "Man, this guy seems to have a similar life experience to mine."  It was only later that I learned that we were fairly close to the same age, had overlapped one year (I think) at Marquette, etc.  But then he started working for SI and became "Mr. Rebecca Lobo" (sorry, Steve, if you're reading) and our lives are not so similar any more.  But I always enjoyed his work and throught he brought a perspective to things that was kind of like I would have brought if I had his talent.

Thanks for the special piece.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 10:55:05 AM »

Yes!  I know *exactly* what he is saying here.  MU basketball has always been, in part, about flash in quite a stark contrast to the institution and the city in which it is located.  It is why we wear gold for the big games at home.  It is why they broke out the powder blues.
Man, I cannot wait for Wednesday.

+1

The powder blues are special, not just for how they look, but for what they represent.

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:09:04 AM »
+1

The powder blues are special, not just for how they look, but for what they represent.

Now if only we could play well with them on.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:11:16 AM »
Its a bit ridiculous that they are considered "unlucky" after we have worn them a total of 4 games or so. Hardly enough to make a fair assessment. Bring back the Powder Blue for the BET!!! Hopefully by then we will have a good seed wrapped up anyway and wins will be gravy.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 05:55:29 PM »
Its a bit ridiculous that they are considered "unlucky" after we have worn them a total of 4 games or so. Hardly enough to make a fair assessment. Bring back the Powder Blue for the BET!!! Hopefully by then we will have a good seed wrapped up anyway and wins will be gravy.

Agreed...we have only lost in them in tough road games.  We have lost more games in the navy blues because they are worn on the road.  The golds and whites are considered lucky because they are worn at home where we always win anyway.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 06:59:39 PM »
Agreed...we have only lost in them in tough road games.  We have lost more games in the navy blues because they are worn on the road.  The golds and whites are considered lucky because they are worn at home where we always win anyway.

They aren't considered unlucky because we lost, they are considered unlucky because MU always plays like crap in them.  It's never just that MU loses to a tough opponent, it's that MU looks like they haven't played together before and the opponents look like and NBA All Star team.  Heck, even during the lone baby blue win against Florida Gulf Coast MU still looked terrible, Florida Gulf Coast was just worse.

They would never be considered unlucky if MU lost but at least played well.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 07:31:22 PM »
I said to my wife (The actual MUhoops85) back around 1984 when she was a student "They haven't been any good since they started tucking in their jerseys"

True story...
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 08:19:01 PM »
Steve Rushin is a terrific writer and by all accounts a great guy. Nice to have a high profile media guy on our side.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 08:40:53 PM »
I'll never forget the Ignatious Scholarship dinner that I attended during my senior year of highschool. Steve Rushin was the keynote speaker, and at the time was still writing for Sports Illustrated, a column I read religously, and was introducted by his wife Rebecca Lobo. Everyone in attendance received a signed copy of his book. Meeting one of my favorite writers, and having him speak glowingly about Marquette, reinforced my decision to attend Marquette. Any doubt I may have had evaporated on that night. It was nice to read some of Rushin's stuff again.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 09:22:04 PM »
I'll never forget the Ignatious Scholarship dinner that I attended during my senior year of highschool. Steve Rushin was the keynote speaker, and at the time was still writing for Sports Illustrated, a column I read religously, and was introducted by his wife Rebecca Lobo. Everyone in attendance received a signed copy of his book. Meeting one of my favorite writers, and having him speak glowingly about Marquette, reinforced my decision to attend Marquette. Any doubt I may have had evaporated on that night. It was nice to read some of Rushin's stuff again.

Was there in '04 as well. He gave a great speech.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 09:31:34 PM »
SWEET! Rushin's articles are always a great read. I absolutely love Simpson's references!!!!!!!

feedback