[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015 MLB Season Thread  (Read 98263 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: 2015 MLB Season Thread
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2015, 06:32:17 PM »
TBS began broadcasting the Braves in 1972 and went cable in 1976.
WGN went cable in 1978.

The Braves also have a large following around the country due to TBS.

As WI_inferiority_complexes pointed out, Cubs games were afternoon games with no other TV competition.   Braves games in primetime went against all the top shows.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2015, 06:43:11 PM »
The Braves also have a large following around the country due to TBS.

As WI_inferiority_complexes pointed out, Cubs games were afternoon games with no other TV competition.   Braves games in primetime went against all the top shows.

Cubs didn't install lights, and don't regularly push to play more night games, because so many people were watching day baseball.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »
Cubs didn't install lights, and don't regularly push to play more night games, because so many people were watching day baseball.

Mundane Fact: PK Wrigley initially planned for the Cubs to be the first team to install lights in their stadium but instead donated the supplies to the war effort.

Theo is using the Cubs as an experiment that may make him a Chicago hero forever or may make him just another footnote in Cubs history.

The Ricketts family is in over their heads and Crane Kenney is a complete buffoon. Wrigley was definitely in need of some upgrades on the concourse and clubhouses but the jumbotron and outfield signage is horrid. The appeal of Wrigley is that it's old school baseball without all the bells and whistles and distractions and obnoxious music that other stadiums have. It's a ballpark. That's it. The Ricketts don't get that. Real Cub fans do.

They also aren't helping their cause by continuously being in the middle of PR nightmares like canceling last night's game in mid-afternoon due to "impending weather," which actually just meant that they didn't have the previous PR nightmare (the bathroom situation) sorted out yet.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2015, 08:38:25 AM »
Mundane Fact: PK Wrigley initially planned for the Cubs to be the first team to install lights in their stadium but instead donated the supplies to the war effort.

Theo is using the Cubs as an experiment that may make him a Chicago hero forever or may make him just another footnote in Cubs history.

The Ricketts family is in over their heads and Crane Kenney is a complete buffoon. Wrigley was definitely in need of some upgrades on the concourse and clubhouses but the jumbotron and outfield signage is horrid. The appeal of Wrigley is that it's old school baseball without all the bells and whistles and distractions and obnoxious music that other stadiums have. It's a ballpark. That's it. The Ricketts don't get that. Real Cub fans do.

Meh.

They said the same things in Boston about Fenway when they did many of the things that the Cubs are doing with Wrigley, but three World Series later, no one cares.  I think the Ricketts are fine and allow Kenney to play the bad-cop role. 

The on-field results need to follow, and the Cubs have plenty of young talent in their system.  If they make it to a World Series in five years, no one will give a rip about the stadium improvements and Sunday night will be a distant memory.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2015, 09:22:19 AM »

Meh.

They said the same things in Boston about Fenway when they did many of the things that the Cubs are doing with Wrigley, but three World Series later, no one cares.  I think the Ricketts are fine and allow Kenney to play the bad-cop role. 

The on-field results need to follow, and the Cubs have plenty of young talent in their system.  If they make it to a World Series in five years, no one will give a rip about the stadium improvements and Sunday night will be a distant memory.

You clearly don't follow the team very closely  ;)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2015, 09:42:28 AM »

They also aren't helping their cause by continuously being in the middle of PR nightmares like canceling last night's game in mid-afternoon due to "impending weather," which actually just meant that they didn't have the previous PR nightmare (the bathroom situation) sorted out yet.

This post is wrong on so many levels (aside from Kenney being a jag).  Are you a real Cubs fan?  If not, I'd recommend not speaking for them. 

brandx

« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2015, 10:04:39 AM »

It's only all about Wrigley because the Cubs are/have been losers. There was nothing else other than just sitting out in the sun enjoying a game regardless of the results.

If they ever win, Wrigley won't matter. It's cool to go there once - after that you realize what a dump it is.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2015, 10:33:41 AM »
This post is wrong on so many levels (aside from Kenney being a jag).  Are you a real Cubs fan?  If not, I'd recommend not speaking for them. 

What was wrong about it?

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2015, 10:52:04 AM »
It's only all about Wrigley because the Cubs are/have been losers.

I disagree.  As was pointed out earlier, Wrigley has (had) an unique allure other parks don't.  I really like Miller Park, and don't mind US Cellular, but day games at Wrigley, (which are becoming increasingly more uncommon) were wonderful.

With no piped-in music or fireworks, and very few electronics, the game moved at a comforting pace.  I know I sound old for saying that, but Wrigley didn't get lights until '88, only played 18 night games a season until about '04, didn't start playing Taylor Swift between innings until about '07, and has only hosted 9 innings of a JumboTron.

And they didn't always lose.  In '84, '89, and '08, they were winning all the time at home.  There was steroid-laden hysteria in '98, and the second halves and playoffs of '03 and '07 were very exciting.  All without a JumoTron.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2015, 10:55:37 AM »
I didn't realize the Cubs game last night was canceled until I was already at the gate.  There's no way in hell that was called because of weather; if you don't have enough crappers to host a MLB game, they could've told me earlier in the day.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2015, 10:55:52 AM »
It's only all about Wrigley because the Cubs are/have been losers. There was nothing else other than just sitting out in the sun enjoying a game regardless of the results.

If they ever win, Wrigley won't matter. It's cool to go there once - after that you realize what a dump it is.

There literally are millions of people who think going to Wrigley is cool more than once.
It's fine if you're not one of them and don't care for the place. Generally I'm with you. I can take it a couple of times a year and that's about it. It certainly has its flaws. But let's not pretend it doesn't have a huge legion of fans. There's a reason it's nearly always ranked among the best stadium experiences in baseball, and why the Cubs continue to draw attendance figures undeserving of a team with its track record. All those people going to games aren't first-timers.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:05:46 AM by Pakuni »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2015, 11:03:58 AM »
I didn't realize the Cubs game last night was canceled until I was already at the gate.  There's no way in hell that was called because of weather; if you don't have enough crappers to host a MLB game, they could've told me earlier in the day.

1:23 in the afternoon wasn't early enough?

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/585508234787745792

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2015, 11:50:24 AM »
What was wrong about it?

First, I don't think Theo sees it as some grand experiment.  They needed to completely tear it down and rebuild it to give the team the chance for a sustained run of success.  That's not to say he hasn't enjoyed the opportunity and flexibility that he's had to rebuild the organization.  You're describing it like it is some game to feed his ego as opposed to doing what's best for the team and organization and I strongly disagree with that notion.  The Cubs could have thrown money at Pujols, Fielder, Hamilton, etc and they would have been right back where they started.  Maybe it won't work (although I doubt that) but to me it was absolutely necessary.

The Ricketts have had their share of missteps but I have no doubt they care deeply about the team and want to win.  I understand people will have different opinions on the renovation and that's their right.  Personally, I feel like the end product will strike a nice balance between the old school charms of Wrigley and the modernization and restoration it so desperately needed.  I wouldn't make a final judgment until everything is complete.  

I was there opening night and will be there many times this season and I thought the jumbotron looked great.  It will be used primarily for stats, replays, and stuff on Cubs history.  No kiss cams or any of that stupid crap.  Of course everything will be sponsored but if it brings in more revenue to help the team that works for me.  The new Budweiser sign didn't bother me in the least, nor will the other signs once they are up.

I'm a die hard Cubs fan and will likely cry like a baby WHEN they make and win the World Series.  To say real Cubs fans are opposed to what they are doing at Wrigley is blatantly false.  Sure, some do but the majority I have spoke with are completely on board.  

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2015, 12:15:17 PM »

Meh.

The thing about Fenway is other than the scoreboard, all the other upgrades were done in a manner that make it look like they've been there forever.  Don't know if the same aesthetic applies to the Cubs.  I don't recall Theo being involved in any meaningful way with the Fenway renovations.  Anyway, I'm a big guy and if you're a big guy there is no more uncomfortable place to watch a game than Fenway Park. 

It's beautiful but I don't go there more than once every couple years even though I'm three hours away and a diehard Red Sox fan. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2015, 12:17:23 PM »
The thing about Fenway is other than the scoreboard, all the other upgrades were done in a manner that make it look like they've been there forever.  Don't know if the same aesthetic applies to the Cubs.  I don't recall Theo being involved in any meaningful way with the Fenway renovations.  Anyway, I'm a big guy and if you're a big guy there is no more uncomfortable place to watch a game than Fenway Park. 

It's beautiful but I don't go there more than once every couple years even though I'm three hours away and a diehard Red Sox fan. 

They installed a big video board right?  In the end, I don't think Wrigley will look all that different.   Just like when they renovated Lambeau Field, the seating bowl is basically the same.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2015, 12:23:50 PM »
BEFORE:

AFTER:

I think it's an upgrade aesthetically over a United tarped roof and the Toyota sign.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »

They installed a big video board right?  In the end, I don't think Wrigley will look all that different.   Just like when they renovated Lambeau Field, the seating bowl is basically the same.

Yeah, I said scoreboard but I should have said videoboard.  They did a ton of other stuff, mostly adding more seats and advertising space that looks like they've been there forever.  They've had a huge board in center since the 80s, just changed it to a nice modern video one.  

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2015, 12:26:37 PM »
BEFORE:

AFTER:

I think it's an upgrade aesthetically over a United tarped roof and the Toyota sign.

The big thing is that they've kept the classic out of town scoreboard in center.  I love that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2015, 12:28:31 PM »
The big thing is that they've kept the classic out of town scoreboard in center.  I love that.

Yep, still is doing all it's same functions as well. The videoboard is for videos and stats only. The scoreboard still tracks strikes, balls and outs. They compliment each other.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2015, 12:59:16 PM »
I'm a die hard Cubs fan and will likely cry like a baby WHEN they make and win the World Series.  

Fortunately for you, you will never have to shed those tears, just as the vast majority of Cubbie fans' fathers (and grandfathers?) haven't had to do!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2015, 01:11:56 PM »
Fortunately for you, you will never have to shed those tears, just as the vast majority of Cubbie fans' fathers (and grandfathers?) haven't had to do!

You've convinced me.  I should just stop paying attention now to ease the eventual pain.   ::)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2015, 08:51:52 PM »
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Where are the bathrooms and port-a-potties?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2015, 10:38:59 PM »
 ::)

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2015, 11:23:17 PM »
So many things wrong in this post.

Mundane Fact: PK Wrigley initially planned for the Cubs to be the first team to install lights in their stadium but instead donated the supplies to the war effort. (You got one thing right.)

Theo is using the Cubs as an experiment that may make him a Chicago hero forever or may make him just another footnote in Cubs history. (Rebuilding is not an experiment.  They intentionally bottomed out to load up on draft picks and restock the farm system for sustained success.  Because hitting is at a premium right now, they have stocked up on hitters rather than pitching.)

The Ricketts family is in over their heads (Since they took over they got Theo, Maddon, the number one farm system in baseball, and a renovated Wrigley)and Crane Kenney is a complete buffoon(It's well known Kenney was kept on to be "the bad guy" on the business side). Wrigley was definitely in need of some upgrades on the concourse and clubhouses but the jumbotron and outfield signage is horrid. The appeal of Wrigley is that it's old school baseball without all the bells and whistles and distractions and obnoxious music that other stadiums have. It's a ballpark. That's it. The Ricketts don't get that. Real Cub fans do. (The Ricketts and the vast majority of Cubs fans would rather see a video board bring in revenue.  In fact many Cubs fans would be in favor of a video board even if it didn't bring in revenue. It's actually a very good business move.)

They also aren't helping their cause by continuously being in the middle of PR nightmares like canceling last night's game in mid-afternoon due to "impending weather," which actually just meant that they didn't have the previous PR nightmare (the bathroom situation) sorted out yet. (Baseball games have been postponed based on weather forecasts in Chicago before.  The White Sox did the same thing last year and no rain came.  It you want to believe they had an motive for canceling the game, wouldn't it be more likely they wanted to push it off to when the bleachers are complete and 3000 more fans could come?  The crowd for a night came in the 30's wouldn't create a bathroom issue.)

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2015, 11:27:37 PM »
If you haven't seen the Wrigley renovation renderings, I recommend checking this link out:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/restore-wrigley/our-vision/ballpark-renderings/

And some photos of the model:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:32:52 PM by TallTitan34 »