[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 169187 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #750 on: August 01, 2016, 04:04:14 PM »
In keeping with tradition, Sox management sitting around with thumbs firmly up asses

So they really did nothing?  Makes absolutely no sense to me (I'm a Cubs fan). 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #751 on: August 01, 2016, 04:15:12 PM »
So they really did nothing?  Makes absolutely no sense to me (I'm a Cubs fan).

We know.   ;)

It seems to make no sense.  Also the Pirates deadline seemed to make no sense.  With the.possible impact prospects that changes teams for relievers, it is crazy that Robertson is still on this team.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 04:19:31 PM by buckchuckler »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #752 on: August 01, 2016, 04:18:34 PM »
It only makes sense if Hahn thinks that Sale will be worth more in the offseason. Meaning a contender will throw in major current roster pieces.

I think what it really means is they want to rebuild, but they Jerry won't let them tank it completely. They have to quasi-rebuild, which is why Puig was getting thrown around.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #753 on: August 01, 2016, 04:33:48 PM »
I thought the Brewers totally stole talent from the Giants for a pitcher sporting a knee brace.  The Lucroy/Jeffress trade, somebody help me out there.  Not saying that they should have hung onto Luc but did they get enough?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #754 on: August 01, 2016, 04:39:14 PM »
I thought the Brewers totally stole talent from the Giants for a pitcher sporting a knee brace.  The Lucroy/Jeffress trade, somebody help me out there.  Not saying that they should have hung onto Luc but did they get enough?
I'm not a Brewers fan, but in acquiring one elite prospect and another solid prospect (probably Top 5 in Brewers system) I would say they got a nice return.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #755 on: August 01, 2016, 07:51:37 PM »
Detroit stood pat.   Two reasons:    First, their farm system is so weak that there is very little that anybody wanted and Detroit was unwilling to part with the few quality pieces they have.    Second, with Zimmerman, JD Martinez, and Norris all returning in the next few days, they will have upgraded their pitching and added a bat. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #756 on: August 01, 2016, 09:02:46 PM »
I'm not a Brewers fan, but in acquiring one elite prospect and another solid prospect (probably Top 5 in Brewers system) I would say they got a nice return.

I see that now.  Both Top 65 national prospects with Brinson listed right behind Arcia.  And I like the move for Susac.  I see that they assigned him to AAA but I'll bet he's the #1 next Spring.  He had been a Top 100 guy before getting too many major league games.  As I said to my son today, Lucroy was at his peak value right now.  Winning 3 extra games in August/September means little.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #757 on: August 01, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »
I see that now.  Both Top 65 national prospects with Brinson listed right behind Arcia.  And I like the move for Susac.  I see that they assigned him to AAA but I'll bet he's the #1 next Spring.  He had been a Top 100 guy before getting too many major league games.  As I said to my son today, Lucroy was at his peak value right now.  Winning 3 extra games in August/September means little.

Disagree,  his peak value was this past offseason.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #758 on: August 01, 2016, 09:38:38 PM »
Brewers should also get a solid A ball prospect as the PTBNL in the Lucory/Jefress deal.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #759 on: August 01, 2016, 10:03:28 PM »

I don't know.  He had a bad season last year.  This first half erased any of those memories and doubts that may have arisen. 

And Susac was top 100 each of the last 2 years I believe. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #760 on: August 01, 2016, 10:35:38 PM »
Brewers should also get a solid A ball prospect as the PTBNL in the Lucory/Jefress deal.

Yeah, they definitely should.  As it stands they didn't get anywhere near enough for one of the top 5 catchers in the game on an incredibly friendly contract for another year after this and a really strong closer with 3 more years of club control.  As it is, they might've gotten more for Will Smith than they did for Lucroy and Jefress.  Ortiz should turn out to be solid.  Brinson is boom or bust, and so far bust.  Sub-.300 OBP this year?  Yikes.

I highly doubt it'll be Ragans, but he's the type of player that would actually make the deal reasonable.  And a team has to have a player for a certain amount of time before he can be traded, so a man can dream that that's the PTBNL.

Would be hilarious if the Indians beat the Rangers in the Playoffs.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:38:46 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #761 on: August 01, 2016, 11:37:39 PM »

We swindled the Giants, which was partially why it was so disappointing for us to package Jeffress - who has been better and healthier this year - with Luc. Relievers were flying off the shelves and we gave our closer away. Beyond not getting Gallo, I'm down on this trade because I don't have a lot of faith in Brinson. Honestly, watching him, he reminds me of Carlos Gomez. Both sides of Carlos Gomez: the 5 tool All Star, and the one currently bating .215 in Houston. So maybe he'll be good when we get fed up and trade him away.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #762 on: August 02, 2016, 07:25:51 AM »

Probably right, but apparently Stearns didn't get what he wanted.  That's why July 31 deals often have inflated prices.  Look at the market for relievers.  Crazy what the Giants gave for one.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #763 on: August 02, 2016, 08:12:30 AM »
And now the Brewers are starting Arcia's clock when they could just wait until September...why, exactly?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #764 on: August 02, 2016, 08:22:24 AM »
Gettin' rid of yo closer means nothin' when ya got no games ta close, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #765 on: August 02, 2016, 09:16:19 AM »
And now the Brewers are starting Arcia's clock when they could just wait until September...why, exactly?

Here's my theory.  Tickets and merch.  Mark A. wants to give folks some reason to come out to the ballpark.  Plus 200 ABs will certainly ease his transition into the permanent role next season during a 'low pressure' environment.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #766 on: August 02, 2016, 09:21:59 AM »
Here's my theory.  Tickets and merch.  Mark A. wants to give folks some reason to come out to the ballpark.  Plus 200 ABs will certainly ease his transition into the permanent role next season during a 'low pressure' environment.

You're probably right...which is everything that's wrong with the Milwaukee Brewers.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #767 on: August 02, 2016, 09:28:10 AM »
You're probably right...which is everything that's wrong with the Milwaukee Brewers.

Not sure I get your point.  Is there something magic about an extra 30 days of service here in August?  Does it change his FA category somehow?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #768 on: August 02, 2016, 09:34:42 AM »

It's probably more the latter, honestly. Not sure Arcia is going to get the casual fan fired up in the way that a Braun or Fielder (big league power) did. It's also a trial run on Villar at third and what our lineup looks like with two players that hit like shortstops there, since Villar doesn't have prototypical 3rd base power. I don't agree with starting the clock on Arcia when we don't need to, but I'll say this - this team is going to (continue to) steal like crazy. Villar, Perez, Arcia and to a lesser extent, Braun are all legitimate base stealing threats. So that should be fun.

Edit: Thinking about this, will this actually impact his options? He's been on the 40-man roster and in the minors all year, so one of his options will have already been used. He's not going to get an accrued season because it's only 60ish days left in the season. Baseball rules are confusing  :o
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:42:02 AM by GB Warrior »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #769 on: August 02, 2016, 09:47:36 AM »
Not sure I get your point.  Is there something magic about an extra 30 days of service here in August?  Does it change his FA category somehow?

Yes.  Unless they start him back in the minors for a certain amount of time next season the Brewers will not gain an extra year of control of him before he hits free agency (unless that aspect of the CBA ends up being modified). 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #770 on: August 02, 2016, 09:49:21 AM »
They were going to bring Arcia up in September, so really there is no impact on his clock.   Plus Arcia may not be as good as many are proposing, he's been weak with the bat this year.   There may be more to worry about than his clock.   

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #771 on: August 02, 2016, 09:50:50 AM »
It's probably more the latter, honestly. Not sure Arcia is going to get the casual fan fired up in the way that a Braun or Fielder (big league power) did. It's also a trial run on Villar at third and what our lineup looks like with two players that hit like shortstops there, since Villar doesn't have prototypical 3rd base power. I don't agree with starting the clock on Arcia when we don't need to, but I'll say this - this team is going to (continue to) steal like crazy. Villar, Perez, Arcia and to a lesser extent, Braun are all legitimate base stealing threats. So that should be fun.

Edit: Thinking about this, will this actually impact his options? He's been on the 40-man roster and in the minors all year, so one of his options will have already been used. He's not going to get an accrued season because it's only 60ish days left in the season. Baseball rules are confusing  :o

I refreshed my memory on 'service time'.  He's already on the 40 man and won't be optioned down this year.  He has zero chance to accrue a year of service.  The Brewers could have pulled a Bryant/Braun and called him up in May 2017 once his first service year proved impossible NEXT year.  But I think Mark A. and Sterns thought he was ready now and want a 60 day window to evaluate a Scooter/Arcia/Villar infield possibly with the intention of moving either Scooter or Villar.  Personally, I think Villar is a real potential talent and I'd like to see him at 2B long term.  That said, Scooter has shown some ability to hit lefties this year.  TBD, I suppose. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #772 on: August 02, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »
Okay, SUPER technical question.  Arcia gets 60 days service this year = no full year.  Arcia then gets 'optioned' for a minimum 21 days next year so retroactive service time doesn't accrue and he has less than a full year of service in 2017.  Where does that leave him?

PS.  Totally agree we're not discussing Mickey Mantle here.  I'm not overly worried about his superstar status just yet.  Lots to prove.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #773 on: August 02, 2016, 10:02:48 AM »
I refreshed my memory on 'service time'.  He's already on the 40 man and won't be optioned down this year.  He has zero chance to accrue a year of service.  The Brewers could have pulled a Bryant/Braun and called him up in May 2017 once his first service year proved impossible NEXT year.  But I think Mark A. and Sterns thought he was ready now and want a 60 day window to evaluate a Scooter/Arcia/Villar infield possibly with the intention of moving either Scooter or Villar.  Personally, I think Villar is a real potential talent and I'd like to see him at 2B long term.  That said, Scooter has shown some ability to hit lefties this year.  TBD, I suppose.

Completely agree. I hope Scooter continues to show the improvement to be more than a platoon player. I worry about power in our projected lineup next year, though, which a Villar-Arcia-Scooter-TBD infield is problematic. That leaves Braun, Santana and 1B TBD to be our only power players. Not that we need to be built that way - it doesn't seem to be the identity Stearns is building in our farm system, but with a hitter-friendly park, it'd be good to capitalize. We don't have much in the way of corner depth in our system, but we sure are loaded at SS/2B and OF...

chapman

• All American
« Reply #774 on: August 02, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
Like both trades.  Having 7 of the top 74 prospects a year into a re-build isn't half bad.  Quality over quantity for the Rangers trade.  Brinson has been dealing with injuries, and has just started to get back into form over the past couple weeks.  He's just 22, Ortiz 20, Bickford 21.  A lot of potential there, versus Melvin's usual request for "Major League-ready talent", that was essentially asking for 26 year old AAAA players with low ceilings.  Not a salary dump move and sounds like an option on the PTBNL, so thinking it's probably above scrub level.