[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Newcomer Impact Rankings  (Read 13738 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Newcomer Impact Rankings
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2020, 10:19:51 AM »
You can't make this case, largely because you don't know the quality of the player that we would take to fill the empty scholarship.

There is always going to be the possibility that this year's team is helped by filling all available scholarships.  Not saying it's a huge possibility--but it's not zero as would be the case if we left the scholarship open.

It won't challenge existing players for playing time. It won't become a breakout player, late bloomer, or hidden gem.  It won't give you any surprisingly strong performance off the bench. It won't help you out if you wind up with injuries. It won't come off the bench if you get into foul trouble. 

Filling available scholarships give you some chance--albeit small--that you solve a problem on this year's team.

Holding it for a mid-year transfer means that players won't possibly help until the middle of next season.

You are right. I am not 100% certain that “taking projects and moving on if they don’t pan out,” which is what JJJJ specifically said, with a 12th or 13th would make us significantly better.

Right now it’s 99.9% certain.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »
Duke won a national title with 8 scholarship players in 2015.

Clearly, the more scholarship players you have, the better your team will be.

Imagine how good Duke could've been if they didn't waste 5 scholarships that year.  They could've actually won something.

We'll never have 13 scholarship players any where near worthy of the 8 they had in 2015, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2020, 11:20:44 AM »

We'll never have 13 scholarship players any where near worthy of the 8 they had in 2015, hey?

Depends on whether Marquette decides cheating is worth it.  I say it is but that’s for another topic
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2020, 11:24:28 AM »
agreed! ...and I forecast a 4-6 start to this season with blowout losses to UCLA and RED. Hence, insignificant mediocrity continues.

4-6 would be a worst case scenario start. That would mean we either get swept in our first four BEast games and beat Oklahoma State or we get swept in our meaningful non-conference games and start 1-3 in BEast. I'd be surprised that we didn't take at least one game from both groups. I think 6-4 and 5-5 are the most likely starts this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2020, 11:36:45 AM »
Depends on whether Marquette decides cheating is worth it.  I say it is but that’s for another topic

Oh, eye cee, Dook iz good 'cuz day cheet? And wee, wit hi moral standards, hired an asst. koach from Dook. Maebee, dey just cheet smarter and bedder dan us, hey?

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2020, 01:00:22 PM »

Oh, eye cee, Dook iz good 'cuz day cheet? And wee, wit hi moral standards, hired an asst. koach from Dook. Maebee, dey just cheet smarter and bedder dan us, hey?

Sure looks like it, aina?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2020, 04:33:13 PM »

Wow. They only thing stopping us (and I guess 30 or 40 other middle of the pack Power 6 basketball schools) from winning national championships is a little “Duke style” cheating? LOL.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2020, 10:28:26 PM »

You are right. I am not 100% certain that “taking projects and moving on if they don’t pan out,” which is what JJJJ specifically said, with a 12th or 13th would make us significantly better.

Right now it’s 99.9% certain.

Lol. 99.9% certain Wojo can’t find a usable piece with the last two scholarships he continually punts?

If that’s the case, there’s another problem to add to the growing list.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2020, 09:44:04 AM »
Lol. 99.9% certain Wojo can’t find a usable piece with the last two scholarships he continually punts?

Buzz kept filling and those players kept transferring out. They never helped the program and just added to the transfer out issue we all complain about.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2020, 09:49:36 AM »
We won't win again until we start filling out our twelfth and thirteenth scholarships with the Brett Roseboros and Youssapha Mbaos of the world.  That's the difference between Buzz's Marquette program and Wojo's.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2020, 10:03:17 AM »
Buzz kept filling and those players kept transferring out. They never helped the program and just added to the transfer out issue we all complain about.

Orrrr ya know, Marquette could take on more guys like Dexter - not highly recruited or ranked - and red shirt them and see what happens.  Looks like they may have struck gold with Dexter.  Certainly won't strike gold with self-imposed scholarship sanctions.  If the guy doesn't pan out, move on.  This isn't 4th grade girls volleyball.

We won't win again until we start filling out our twelfth and thirteenth scholarships with the Brett Roseboros and Youssapha Mbaos of the world.  That's the difference between Buzz's Marquette program and Wojo's.

This is obviously major hyperbole, and a program certainly could be successful on only 10-11 scholarships.  I don't think filling the roster is the answer to all that ails Marquette - i've never said that.  I just think its really stupid to just punt scholarships year after year after year.  There is a reason the NCAA gives teams 13.  Its to use them.  There is also a reason why the NCAA takes them away when programs do bad things.  Because they're valuable! 

Again, you'll never find a diamond in the rough if you don't try.  Obviously it will lead to some turnover on the back of your roster - but who cares.  That's the way of CBB.  To say that there is a 99.9% chance Marquette can't find something useful with its 12th and 13th spots is more an indictment of the coaching staff than anything else. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2020, 10:13:33 AM »
Orrrr ya know, Marquette could take on more guys like Dexter - not highly recruited or ranked - and red shirt them and see what happens.  Looks like they may have struck gold with Dexter.  Certainly won't strike gold with self-imposed scholarship sanctions.  If the guy doesn't pan out, move on.  This isn't 4th grade girls volleyball.

This is obviously major hyperbole, and a program certainly could be successful on only 10-11 scholarships.  I don't think filling the roster is the answer to all that ails Marquette - i've never said that.  I just think its really stupid to just punt scholarships year after year after year.  There is a reason the NCAA gives teams 13.  Its to use them.  There is also a reason why the NCAA takes them away when programs do bad things.  Because they're valuable! 

Again, you'll never find a diamond in the rough if you don't try.  Obviously it will lead to some turnover on the back of your roster - but who cares.  That's the way of CBB.  To say that there is a 99.9% chance Marquette can't find something useful with its 12th and 13th spots is more an indictment of the coaching staff than anything else.

Counterpoint: Using 10-11 scholarships allows for more roster satisfaction and roster flexibility. By ensuring one person is on redshirt (Perez in 2020, Akanno in 2019, McEwen in 2018, etc) it is easier to keep the active players happy with minutes as there are fewer active mouths to feed while also getting the redshirting player acclimated to the program and familiar with their teammates. And by keeping 1-2 scholarships open, you allow for midseason transfers. Some will work out (Luke Fischer) and some will not (Harry Froling) but the flexibility allows you to find those more polished diamonds in the rough that would be unavailable to you if you filled all 13 scholarships. In addition, it allows you to take late or reclassifying freshmen, such as Jarnell Stokes (2012 Tennessee) or the rumors that Mac Etienne may still consider a mid-season reclass.

Personally, I think 10 active scholarships, 1 redshirt, and 2 open is ideal. If you don't find anyone for the open ones, you can always give them to preferred walk-ons to help with team morale. You can do that while still finding room for longer shot recruits like Sacar Anim and Dexter Akanno.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2020, 12:38:22 PM »

I think your point about finding the diamond in the rough players and the value of using the end of the roster spots  for them is a good one.

However, the reality is finding quality projects  is easier said than done. That is because a) other programs are looking for the same thing and b) the players themselves have a lot of options. This is because some may want to play more  and not sit on the end of the bench and thereby go to a  lower program, or even go to DII.  For example, Ike Eke, a prototype project, had other high major offers and mid major offers. Obviously he got hurt so we don't know how his story would have played out.  On the other hand, Romaro Gill, took the lower route , went JUCO and then Seton Hall picked him up still as a project . Gill turned into a very good player his senior year.  Max Strus  of DePaul is a great example of a kid who took the  DII route.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2020, 12:39:24 PM »
I think MU should use 13 scholarships. However, I see no reason to give one to a player that is not likely to contribute this year or in the future.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2020, 01:37:12 PM »

Yeah cause Buzz and other have always found useable pieces that turned seasons around with the 12th and 13th guys.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2020, 02:04:01 PM »
There are good points on both sides of this argument.  No one should die on a hill today.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2020, 04:36:58 PM »
Yeah cause Buzz and other have always found useable pieces that turned seasons around with the 12th and 13th guys.

Last two scholarships filled in 2009 were Jimmy Butler and Liam McMorrow:

Returning:
1. McNeal
2. James
3. Matthews
4. Burke
5. Hayward
6. Acker
7. Burke
8. Mbakwe
9. Hazel

Already Signed Incoming:
10. Fulce
11. Otule

Butler was 12 scholarship used at the time he signed.

12. Butler

McMorrow signed over the summer
13. McMorrow

Mbakwe just before the start of classes in the fall, making the final roster 12 scholarship players.

McMorrow didn't play at MU because of health, not lack of talent.  And we all know what Butler went on to become.

So do you still want to argue that is isn't worth filling the 12th or 13th scholarship slots? 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2020, 04:51:17 PM »

Returning:
1. McNeal
2. James
3. Matthews
4. Burke
5. Hayward
6. Acker
7. Burke
8. Mbakwe
9. Hazel

Already Signed Incoming:
10. Fulce
11. Otule

12. Butler

13. McMorrow

Mbakwe just before the start of classes in the fall, making the final roster 12 scholarship players.

McMorrow didn't play at MU because of health, not lack of talent.  And we all know what Butler went on to become.

So do you still want to argue that is isn't worth filling the 12th or 13th scholarship slots?
I have to believe Buzz felt Butler was a contributor. The point is you fill the scholarships with players that can help. Filling them with fill in players provides little benefit.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2020, 05:01:07 PM »

Returning:
1. McNeal
2. James
3. Matthews
4. Burke
5. Hayward
6. Acker
7. Burke
8. Mbakwe
9. Hazel

Already Signed Incoming:
10. Fulce
11. Otule

12. Butler

13. McMorrow

Listed Burke twice.   Wasn't THAT good.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2020, 05:13:46 PM »
I have to believe Buzz felt Butler was a contributor. The point is you fill the scholarships with players that can help. Filling them with fill in players provides little benefit.

If I'm not mistaken, Butler was a late add made possible when a scholie opened up due to Scott Christopherson transferring. So, I'm not sure he qualifies for this discussion.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2020, 05:53:11 PM »

Returning:
1. McNeal
2. James
3. Matthews
4. Burke
5. Hayward
6. Acker
7. Burke
8. Mbakwe
9. Hazel

Already Signed Incoming:
10. Fulce
11. Otule

12. Butler

13. McMorrow

Exception proves the rule?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2020, 07:06:03 PM »

Returning:
1. McNeal
2. James
3. Matthews
4. Burke
5. Hayward
6. Acker
7. Burke
8. Mbakwe
9. Hazel

Already Signed Incoming:
10. Fulce
11. Otule

12. Butler

13. McMorrow

McMorrow averaged 3.6 points and 3 rebounds in his two seasons for Tennessee Tech.  I'm thinking he probably wouldn't have been much help at Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2020, 07:57:19 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, Butler was a late add made possible when a scholie opened up due to Scott Christopherson transferring. So, I'm not sure he qualifies for this discussion.

If this was the case, it would seem to Support keeping a scholly or two open, no?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2020, 10:51:26 PM »
Thank you—that was exactly what I was thinking as well.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2020, 10:45:32 AM »
If this was the case, it would seem to Support keeping a scholly or two open, no?

So you would have passed on Butler to keep that scholarship open?

feedback