collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hong Kong  (Read 24833 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Hong Kong
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2019, 08:38:24 PM »
This thread may soon devolve into Scoop's version of "The Four Yorkshiremen."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2019, 08:47:17 PM »
Um, we're now cheering a company moving American jobs overseas?

Weird.

Or, is this one of those "I got mine" situations?

The Boomer generation is so fickle when it comes to economic disparity and matters of individual vs societal prosperity.

until you know what business goose is in, best be quiet.  i'll bet the panties in your dresser are made somewhere in asia-you supporting moving american jobs overseas? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2019, 08:54:05 PM »
This thread may soon devolve into Scoop's version of "The Four Yorkshiremen."

Sounds more like ‘mature rage and the middle age backlash’

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2019, 09:10:35 PM »
until you know what business goose is in, best be quiet.  i'll bet the panties in your dresser are made somewhere in asia-you supporting moving american jobs overseas?

Rocket

I love people who decry the loss of the American industrial base and then fume and rage when a stout-hearted leader comes along with the courage to address the matter. But then, these are the same folks who love getting bargains at the local Wally World.

By the way, as you and others know, my partners and I are making a real difference in the lives of the less fortunate. A handful of American and English i bankers are pouring millions of personal capital into improving power generation and energy consumption in the developing world. We don't publicize it because, well, that's not the point.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2019, 09:14:49 PM »
Rocket

I love people who decry the loss of the American industrial base and then fume and rage when a stout-hearted leader comes along with the courage to address the matter. But then, these are the same folks who love getting bargains at the local Wally World.

By the way, as you and others know, my partners and I are making a real difference in the lives of the less fortunate. A handful of American and English i bankers are pouring millions of personal capital into improving power generation and energy consumption in the developing world. We don't publicize it because, well, that's not the point.

But you'll share it on Scoop.

Thank you for your service.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2019, 09:27:21 PM »
Um, we're now cheering a company moving American jobs overseas?

Weird.

Or, is this one of those "I got mine" situations?

The Boomer generation is so fickle when it comes to economic disparity and matters of individual vs societal prosperity.

You paint with a mile wide brush while your knowledge of Goose's family business isn't even an inch deep. No offense, but when you come after a guy who saved a business with bumper sticker stuff nobody is going to take you seriously.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2019, 09:31:19 PM »
But you'll share it on Scoop.

Thank you for your service.

Hey, he's a humble guy

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2019, 10:00:26 PM »
You paint with a mile wide brush while your knowledge of Goose's family business isn't even an inch deep. No offense, but when you come after a guy who saved a business with bumper sticker stuff nobody is going to take you seriously.

You're correct. I don't know. And I never claimed to know.

But I thought the stance was it was important to keep jobs here? Is that not the situation?

The only details I was given was Goose's family had a American business that he moved to China and succeeded with. (Congrats on the business success, Goose).

Naturally, I asked a question with the evidence made public.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:08:14 PM by jesmu84 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2019, 10:13:17 PM »
"Oh, look, another of Scoop's finest threads," said no one.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2019, 10:21:16 PM »
Rocket

That's what I'm asking about.

Is moving American jobs overseas bad? I would assume it is, because we're now supporting the idea of trying to bring them back using tough/stressful policy.

And if it is/was bad, why are we praising those who did it?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2019, 10:32:16 PM »
"Oh, look, another of Scoop's finest threads," said no one.

I am amazed and impressed that this thread got to 5 pages.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2019, 11:03:08 PM »
Lenny
Spot on. As you have a good understanding of my family and it’s history in Asia, I could not agree with you more. The education I have gained over thirty plus years in the region is something I am very proud of.
While I was a very poor student in school, I embraced the knowledge of both the locals in places that I have worked as well as the ex pats.
My family story means a lot to me because of the risks that we took to conduct business in Asia. I/we were not a big company or worked for one, but we rolled the dice very early on the importance that China would mean in global economy.
I can assure you that I am not an expert on China, but by hook or crook I have managed to run a company in HK and China for over 25 years. Nothing lasts forever and chasing new frontiers, but hopefully with a bit more knowledge than I had when we entered China.
My Dad had a lot of great gifts, but his ability to listen and learn remained a core belief in his life until he passed away at 90.
I really value posters like yourself that offer knowledge based off of your experiences in life. Wish there more Lenny’s in the world.

Goose

Thanks for the kind words.

My 2 cents on this whole discussion is simple. First, I'm interested in your and Crash's thoughts on Hong Kong/mainland China because of your backgrounds and knowledge. I realize that opinions are just that but some are more informed than others.

I suppose the fact that I know a little bit of both of your histories (and admire them greatly) reinforces that fact for me. So I'm disposed to listen - and learn.

Lots of smart people on Scoop. When Pakuni talks law, TAMU title IX, Doc MU history, etc.,- I listen. And learn.

In spite of the stupid fights i participate in (and at times start), I learn quite a bit here. Too much politics, too much stereotyping, too much anger, too much snark - but a pretty accurate reflection of what passes for "real life" today. And where else can I go to read a Keefe haiku that literally makes me laugh out loud?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:05:21 PM by Lennys Tap »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2019, 02:37:15 AM »
Ive spent the last 3-4 days in Singapore and Indonesia, mostly with people who have significant business relationships and exposure to HK as well as China and the insight Ive gained has been very interesting.  Usually I'm just speaking with HK contacts and referencing my experience there, as well as my team in Shenzhen and Shanghai.  But now I'm getting the perspective of those who don't have homes or offices in jeopardy of a change in power or policy, but those who would fundamentally adjust business practices and positioning to work around a "new HK".   Anyone interested or wanting to know more can feel free to drop me a DM cause this thread has turned into a circus though I respect the views and opinions of the matter of a number of people here.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2019, 03:14:08 AM »
Ive spent the last 3-4 days in Singapore and Indonesia, mostly with people who have significant business relationships and exposure to HK as well as China and the insight Ive gained has been very interesting.  Usually I'm just speaking with HK contacts and referencing my experience there, as well as my team in Shenzhen and Shanghai.  But now I'm getting the perspective of those who don't have homes or offices in jeopardy of a change in power or policy, but those who would fundamentally adjust business practices and positioning to work around a "new HK".   Anyone interested or wanting to know more can feel free to drop me a DM cause this thread has turned into a circus though I respect the views and opinions of the matter of a number of people here.

Wags

Where in Indonesia - Jakarta?

Let's chat offline. Interested to hear your thoughts as well as catch up.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2019, 03:25:15 AM »
Lenny
Spot on. As you have a good understanding of my family and it’s history in Asia, I could not agree with you more. The education I have gained over thirty plus years in the region is something I am very proud of.
While I was a very poor student in school, I embraced the knowledge of both the locals in places that I have worked as well as the ex pats.
My family story means a lot to me because of the risks that we took to conduct business in Asia. I/we were not a big company or worked for one, but we rolled the dice very early on the importance that China would mean in global economy.
I can assure you that I am not an expert on China, but by hook or crook I have managed to run a company in HK and China for over 25 years. Nothing lasts forever and chasing new frontiers, but hopefully with a bit more knowledge than I had when we entered China.
My Dad had a lot of great gifts, but his ability to listen and learn remained a core belief in his life until he passed away at 90.
I really value posters like yourself that offer knowledge based off of your experiences in life. Wish there more Lenny’s in the world.
Goose.
It takes a big man to admit areas of weakness. For you to tell all of us that you weren’t a great student, I think that speaks highly to your character. One of the smartest people I knew at Marquette was a guy who struggled with test taking. I mean the guy has forgotten more about history and literature than any of us will ever know. I think Al himself said it best.....”the world is run by C students.”
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:27:25 AM by NorthernDancerColt »
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2019, 06:27:01 AM »
i wish that i would have known goose back during school.  he was the guy who drove the taxicabs and tended bar while getting 'C"'s  those are the cats you knew were going to do well.  a great family guy as well.  to maintain solid relationships with your wife while raising good character kids-i think Al was speaking about goose when he said that
don't...don't don't don't don't

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2019, 07:56:45 AM »
Hey, he's a humble guy

im going to go ahead and guess that anybody who has ever worked for a profitable company has worked for a company that has donated a decent amount of money to charitable causes.  its almost like theres a financial benefit for the company or something and not just money coming straight out of the executives pockets or something...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2019, 08:54:59 AM »
jesmu

I saw that others have posted regarding American jobs and going to address that in my reply to you. Not that anyone wants to hear my life story, but going to share a snapshot of it because it relates to American jobs and your post regarding moving our family business to China. We did NOT move our family business (tannery) to China. We lost our company to China, well before anyone cared about China or loss of American jobs. Our customers, Nike, Timberland, Cole Haan, Rockport, etc., moved production to China in a big way in the mid 1990's. For 5-7 years we exported roughly 90% of our production to China. We adapted from shipping goods to Red Wing, MN, Freeport and Dexter MN, to Shenzhen, Dongguan and other Chinese cities in short order. That said, the Chinese ultimately built their tanneries and a large part of MKE tanning history died a painful death, our business was among that group.

I mention all of this because you likely would be hard pressed to find a more pro American job guy than me. We saw thousands of jobs lost in MKE, and a very big part of "old school" MKE economy disappear without one person standing up for our industry. At that time, and still today, I believe that was right decision. It is a global economy and people/companies need to adapt. IMO, my current business (nothing related to tannery or family business) has provided far greater benefit for the American work than harming it.

Again, this addressed to you mainly because of laziness, and wanted to point out that we did not move a family business. In addition, I have always believe the greatness of the American business mind is ability to adapt, invent and find ways to move forward.

Someone on here mentioned  that making money is the ultimate goal for many people or businesses. I believe that is very broad statement that is actually untrue, at least in my experience. My Dad ran a company that employed 95% minority workers and never had a layoff, paid full insurance and made personal financial sacrifices during tough times. In my case, we have grown a small business with a dozen Asian folks working with us. I have experienced more downturns than I ever imagined, but my co-workers in Asia have seen wonderful financial gains in their lives.

Trust me, everyone wants to make money and that is not a bad thing. But, my greatest joy and sense of pride is 100% based off the lives I believe we have helped. In my lifetime I have seen a one family have over 25 family members work at our family business. Today, in Asia we have a husband and wife team and father/daughter team working with us. Not to mention that my oldest son has worked alongside me for nearly a decade. Those are the rewards that drive most small business owners.

Lastly, the world has changed and I likely will never match my Dad's business success (By the way, he was a C student that barely finished high school in 1938). But, I sure hope that I am able to change the lives of a fraction of the lives that he changed.

FYI--I am sure this will have little impact on those that believe in American jobs or business owners only care about making the most money possible. Just wanted to point out that some folks make great sacrifices in life to chase whatever dream they may have. Mine was simple, I wanted to be a business owner like my Dad.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:57:03 AM by Goose »

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2019, 09:10:03 AM »

Don't portray yourself as some sort of business guru, and then tout tariffs as a legitimate way to deal with China.  Be a student of history.  They don't work.

The American industrial base is not ever coming back to where it was.  That's just how economics functions.  Tariffs and any other trade limitations are simply delaying the inevitable.  Highly skilled industry is still thriving in the United States.  It's thriving in Milwaukee actually.  But what they need are workers with skills.  Finding ways to give people those skills is what is needed now.  Not a return to mindless, low-skilled manufacturing.

But you worked for GE Capital right? A company that excelled in moving money around and covering up the problems in GE. Not terribly impressive.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2019, 09:14:37 AM »
jesmu

I saw that others have posted regarding American jobs and going to address that in my reply to you. Not that anyone wants to hear my life story, but going to share a snapshot of it because it relates to American jobs and your post regarding moving our family business to China. We did NOT move our family business (tannery) to China. We lost our company to China, well before anyone cared about China or loss of American jobs. Our customers, Nike, Timberland, Cole Haan, Rockport, etc., moved production to China in a big way in the mid 1990's. For 5-7 years we exported roughly 90% of our production to China. We adapted from shipping goods to Red Wing, MN, Freeport and Dexter MN, to Shenzhen, Dongguan and other Chinese cities in short order. That said, the Chinese ultimately built their tanneries and a large part of MKE tanning history died a painful death, our business was among that group.

I mention all of this because you likely would be hard pressed to find a more pro American job guy than me. We saw thousands of jobs lost in MKE, and a very big part of "old school" MKE economy disappear without one person standing up for our industry. At that time, and still today, I believe that was right decision. It is a global economy and people/companies need to adapt. IMO, my current business (nothing related to tannery or family business) has provided far greater benefit for the American work than harming it.

Again, this addressed to you mainly because of laziness, and wanted to point out that we did not move a family business. In addition, I have always believe the greatness of the American business mind is ability to adapt, invent and find ways to move forward.

Someone on here mentioned  that making money is the ultimate goal for many people or businesses. I believe that is very broad statement that is actually untrue, at least in my experience. My Dad ran a company that employed 95% minority workers and never had a layoff, paid full insurance and made personal financial sacrifices during tough times. In my case, we have grown a small business with a dozen Asian folks working with us. I have experienced more downturns than I ever imagined, but my co-workers in Asia have seen wonderful financial gains in their lives.

Trust me, everyone wants to make money and that is not a bad thing. But, my greatest joy and sense of pride is 100% based off the lives I believe we have helped. In my lifetime I have seen a one family have over 25 family members work at our family business. Today, in Asia we have a husband and wife team and father/daughter team working with us. Not to mention that my oldest son has worked alongside me for nearly a decade. Those are the rewards that drive most small business owners.

Lastly, the world has changed and I likely will never match my Dad's business success (By the way, he was a C student that barely finished high school in 1938). But, I sure hope that I am able to change the lives of a fraction of the lives that he changed.

FYI--I am sure this will have little impact on those that believe in American jobs or business owners only care about making the most money possible. Just wanted to point out that some folks make great sacrifices in life to chase whatever dream they may have. Mine was simple, I wanted to be a business owner like my Dad.

Good stuff, Goose.

Like I said earlier, I was merely going off what I knew and what was made public.

The explanation is appreciated and adds loads more to the situation. And certainly demonstrates that you didn't move the business location merely to cut production costs and line your own pocket. Helps those of us not invited to the meat summit understand the situation and where you're coming from.

More lines of open, honest communication would do everyone better. Thanks for having one with me.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2019, 09:18:34 AM »

Don't portray yourself as some sort of business guru, and then tout tariffs as a legitimate way to deal with China.  Be a student of history.  They don't work.

The American industrial base is not ever coming back to where it was.  That's just how economics functions.  Tariffs and any other trade limitations are simply delaying the inevitable.  Highly skilled industry is still thriving in the United States.  It's thriving in Milwaukee actually.  But what they need are workers with skills.  Finding ways to give people those skills is what is needed now.  Not a return to mindless, low-skilled manufacturing.

But you worked for GE Capital right? A company that excelled in moving money around and covering up the problems in GE. Not terribly impressive.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2019, 09:40:32 AM »
Hey jesmu

Like I stated in another post to Hards, I highly recommend that everyone read the message in a post and ignore who wrote the post. For better or worse, I might be one of the most open books on this site. Sadly, a nice percentage of folks on here think/know I am an pretty boy and ignore the meaning of the post, simply because written by me.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2019, 09:53:12 AM »
I wonder what all of the clowns that are knocking people that have had business success do for a living?  They all seem so smart, I'll bet they can come up with a lot of funny names on the Starbucks cups that they hand out all day.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2019, 09:56:37 AM »
I wonder what all of the clowns that are knocking people that have had business success do for a living?  They all seem so smart, I'll bet they can come up with a lot of funny names on the Starbucks cups that they hand out all day.

some people dont feel the need to be praised for what theyve accomplished in life on muscoop (and everywhere else they go).  others say things like "we dont publish all the good work we do for the less fortunate of the world...BUT WE DONATED MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO THE WELL BEING OF HUMANITY!"  different strokes for different folks.

not to mention ill never make fun of someones work.  everyone needs to do their best to pay their bills.  ive been fortunate enough to have been put in a situation where it was made "easy" for me.  other people have not.  there are people out there who are writing names on a cup at starbucks whose story are much more admirable than mine.  i may make more money than them but some of them are working that job and 2 others just to make ends meet.  they are far harder working than i am.  but hey, theyre just starbucks workers so lets make fun of their worthlessness on this planet.

some people are truly asshats.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:59:06 AM by WithoutBias »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2019, 09:59:03 AM »
some people dont feel the need to be praised for what theyve accomplished in life on muscoop (and everywhere else they go).  others say things like "we dont publish all the good work we do for the less fortunate of the world...BUT WE DONATED MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO THE WELL BEING OF HUMANITY!"  different strokes for different folks.

Agree.  But what makes them so smart and successful that they know everything? (Jesmu, tony smith, hards, jockey, etc.)

Me?  I'm just a water boy and part time jizz mopper.