[Today at 01:06:18 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:57:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: That was embarrassing  (Read 10183 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: That was embarrassing
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 04:56:12 PM »
I don't think they quit today. Maybe down 20+ with four minutes left the bench was dejected, realizing their season was over. The team was diving for loose balls throughout the second half.

They sucked today. Everyone gets an F grade. But I didn't question the effort, particularly in the second half.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2021, 05:00:07 PM »
My question is why?  The team was on somewhat of an upswing. They looked engaged against X. There was no other indication in prior games of the team quitting.

Did Wojo find out he was being released? Did a player or players reveal they werent coming back?  Did someone write a letter?

I agree that something else may be going on, even though I admittedly have no solid evidence. I can imagine the first 2 suggestions/questions you offered but I'm hoping that you meant to put "write a letter" in teal.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 05:01:19 PM »
I don't think they quit today. Maybe down 20+ with four minutes left the bench was dejected, realizing their season was over. The team was diving for loose balls throughout the second half.

They sucked today. Everyone gets an F grade. But I didn't question the effort, particularly in the second half.

Carton postgame on what went wrong today: “A lot of it had to do with our effort.”

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2021, 05:01:43 PM »

Maybe you were watching a different game.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2021, 05:02:11 PM »
My question is why?  The team was on somewhat of an upswing. They looked engaged against X. There was no other indication in prior games of the team quitting.

Did Wojo find out he was being released? Did a player or players reveal they werent coming back?  Did someone write a letter?
i don't think there is a single smoking gun. Unfortunately there are a of lot issues with the program to conclude Wojo, while a nice guy and apparently a hard worker, is in over his head at MU. As I tell many of my employees that I let go; "Not every job is right for everybody. You're a good person who needs to find the right job with the right company. Best of luck"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2021, 05:02:37 PM »
Carton postgame on what went wrong today: “A lot of it had to do with our effort.”

veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting quote.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2021, 05:02:47 PM »

To Carton’s credit, I thought he played with a ton of effort despite the turnovers and otherwise sloppy play.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2021, 05:05:00 PM »
Wow! Honest and concerning.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2021, 05:05:13 PM »
I agree that something else may be going on, even though I admittedly have no solid evidence. I can imagine the first 2 suggestions/questions you offered but I'm hoping that you meant to put "write a letter" in teal.
Lol. I didnt think I had to put it in teal. I was thinking more along the lines of some discontent of some type.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2021, 05:05:49 PM »
To Carton’s credit, I thought he played with a ton of effort despite the turnovers and otherwise sloppy play.
That goes for McEwen, too.  I know he has been more bad than good this year, but I never got the feeling that guy wasn't playing his hardest.  Hard for me to have any animosity toward a guy like him.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2021, 05:06:50 PM »

In the first half, I agree. Especially rebounding effort.

Watching the 2nd half I didn't see anyone dogging it.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2021, 05:07:18 PM »

He played with effort, especially the blocks, but 8 turnovers leading to 12 points was absolutely brutal.  Not NBA ready and needs to do it the entire game.  I really hope he returns. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2021, 05:08:08 PM »
20-4 on second chance points but 16-0 at half. This team was not prepared.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2021, 05:22:36 PM »
I'm not getting the "team quit" logic. Guys diving for loose balls, scrapping to force jump balls, playing aggressive (but poor) defense. We had a sh*ttastic performance from both players and coaches but I'm not seeing any evidence of quitting.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2021, 05:28:35 PM »

Last home game for the seniors and playing in front of their families, perhaps. I could see playing that X game for themselves and each other. Last hurrah so to speak before bowing out. Certainly looked that way in the first half today.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2021, 05:31:11 PM »
Regarding the topic:  "That was embarrassing"

Are you talking about today or much of the last seven years?

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2021, 05:32:40 PM »
Very tough to watch, but ultimately, oh well. Tough year for everyone and its very unfair to get mad at 18-20year olds playing basketball.

This isn't on the players.

It's on the floor-slapping fraud of a coach.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2021, 05:33:11 PM »
I'm not getting the "team quit" logic. Guys diving for loose balls, scrapping to force jump balls, playing aggressive (but poor) defense. We had a sh*ttastic performance from both players and coaches but I'm not seeing any evidence of quitting.
You're a big stat guy. What is the single stat that reflects a team's effort? I would argue its rebounds, particularly offensive rebounds.

There was a big disparity in rebounds and offensive rebounds in this game.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2021, 05:34:08 PM »
Nothing stood out more to me today than the look the bench had with about four minutes left. The outcome was long ago decided, but the body language screamed “we quit”. For me personally, that was one of the lowest moments I can recall as an MU fan.

For whatever reason, this loss bothers me more than most. Something is really rotten with MU basketball.

Toss up between today and the day we learned that Bob Dukiet's ENTIRE recruiting class was not admitted to MU.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2021, 05:36:55 PM »
Toss up between today and the day we learned that Bob Dukiet's ENTIRE recruiting class was not admitted to MU.

Can Wojo play the piano? Asking for a friend that runs a retirement home here in Florida.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2021, 06:02:06 PM »
Carton has been one of the few players that looks like he belongs in the Big East. Love his fight.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2021, 06:23:07 PM »

I would say more that they came out not ready to play more than they quit. Thought the effort that was lacking in the first half was better in the second.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2021, 06:26:50 PM »
They were flinging themselves around in the first half, too.   They just missed everything.   Every loose ball, every rebound, every shot.   Shots they wanted.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2021, 06:41:45 PM »
I'm going to disagree about the consistent effort throughout the game.  In stretches we went after balls but it wasn't there from the tip.  Schematically I still have no fking clue why we are doubling 35 feet from the rim, and all over the floor, because we were molasses slow to recover.  There were rebounds where all of our guys were standing around, not boxing out, and looked like matadors.  I don't think they have been taught how to play hard with any consistency whatsoever.  Slow to react, way too upright, weak traps, poor anticipation, and basically going through the motions and catatonic play.

I would say more that they came out not ready to play more than they quit. Thought the effort that was lacking in the first half was better in the second.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 06:43:30 PM by MuggsyB »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2021, 06:50:42 PM »
I absolutely do not believe the team quit. Carton and Lewis were hitting the floor all night. Cain, McEwen were mixing it up. Even Elliott and Torrence. DJ had some absolutely amazing hustle plays, even after the game was decided.

The bench was dead with 4 minutes left? Well, yeah. We were getting their arses kicked and the outcome was not in doubt; the guys were deflated. That is NOT the same as the team quitting. Get that shyte outta here.

As for DJ's quote, folks shouldn't read too much into it. Athletes and coaches use the word "effort" in all kinds of ways. Most commonly, it's a synonym for "We sucked."

This program has a world of problems, and it starts with the head coach, who should have been fired right after the DePaul loss. I do not believe having a bunch of "quitters" is one of our problems, though.

I hate to see people label these kids as "quitters," especially because I don't think it's close to being true.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback