'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bill Scholl New AD  (Read 30487 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Bill Scholl New AD
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:52:31 AM »
Per email I received:

Marquette names Bill Scholl new Athletic Director

MILWAUKEE – Bill Scholl, director of intercollegiate athletics at Ball State University, will serve as Marquette University’s next vice president and director of athletics, President Michael R. Lovell announced. Scholl has more than two decades of athletics administration experience and oversaw 19 NCAA Division I athletic programs at Ball State. He will begin at Marquette mid-October.

“Our search committee did a tremendous job of finding a leader who embraces our tradition, shares our values and shows an adept ability to navigate the changing landscape of intercollegiate athletics,” said President Michael R. Lovell.  “Bill brings a combination of strong leadership qualities that are grounded in integrity, an extensive history of leading successful athletic programs and a track record of developing student-athletes who are scholars and who compete at the highest level of NCAA athletics.”

Scholl, who will report directly to President Lovell, takes over an athletic department with new leaders directing its signature programs, men’s and women’s basketball. Steve Wojciechowski was named the head coach of the men’s basketball program on April 1, and Carolyn Kieger was named the head women’s basketball coach a month later. “Bill’s experience is the perfect complement to our young and energetic head coaches,” President Lovell said.

“Marquette clearly is committed to excellence in all of its athletics programs and boasts one of the premier men’s basketball programs in the nation,” Scholl said.  “I look forward not only to helping maintain that standard but working with our programs as we strive to reach new heights.  Equally important to me is the fit I have with the faith-based values of Marquette. Through my discussions with university leaders, I am excited to be part of a culture that is so genuinely committed to service.”

Past successes and service
 Scholl has led the Ball State Cardinals since 2012, during which eight programs have reached the postseason and 13 teams placed either first or second in the Mid-American Conference. Ball State has boasted four All-Americans in each of his two years and the Cardinals placed 54 student-athletes on all-conference teams in 2013-14, a 14.9-percent increase over Scholl’s first year and a 54.3-percent increase over the year before his arrival.

In his time at Ball State, he also served as chairperson of the Mid-American Conference’s basketball issues working group and was a member of the conference’s finance committee. He oversaw a number of on-campus facility upgrades including the renovation of baseball and softball stadiums and the groundbreaking for a new football facility for team meetings and office space.

Under Scholl’s leadership at Ball State, student-athletes also saw success in the classroom, with 14 teams scoring better than the national Division I average in the NCAA’s Academic Progress Report baseline. The men’s basketball team climbed in its academic standing steadily, posting a 2013 score that is 20 points higher than the national average.

Prior to his term at Ball State, Scholl served 23 years at Notre Dame, where he finished as deputy athletics director. He was responsible for administration of men’s basketball, football, baseball and men’s soccer, as well as fundraising and donor relations, budgeting and growing external revenue. Scholl collaborated with the university’s advancement office to lead the athletics department in an $84 million athletics fundraising initiative for the Spirit of Notre Dame campaign.

Early in his career, Scholl held leadership positions in service-driven organizations. He was the former director of financial development for the 1987 International Summer Special Olympic Games. He served in the same position for one year at South Bend’s Logan Center, which offers services to persons with developmental disabilities. While working for Special Olympics, he raised in excess of $8 million for the 1987 games.

Dr. Bill Henk, dean of Marquette’s College of Education, chaired the search committee for the new vice president and director of athletics.  Henk is a member of the University Academic Senate and University Leadership Council.  He was a student-athlete in his undergraduate days, playing basketball at Edinboro University in Pennsylvania.

“This process was an excellent marriage between our talented Korn/Ferry search firm partners and our deeply thoughtful search committee, one that resulted in hiring a seasoned athletic leader with integrity and vision,” Henk said. “In addition to seeking a proven winner, we aspired to securing an athletic director who understood Marquette, our mission, and the importance of the student-athlete experience.”

Marquette had a strong pool of candidates that included sitting athletic directors, up-and-coming deputy athletic directors, and qualified candidates outside of collegiate athletics. Many candidates were from top FBS collegiate programs.

Scholl earned a bachelor’s degree in American studies in 1979 from Notre Dame. He and his wife, Julie, have three children: Michael (a 2009 Notre Dame graduate), Stefanie (a 2012 Ball State graduate) and Kelly (a 2014 Notre Dame graduate).

“I am truly honored and thrilled to join the Marquette family,” Scholl said. “I want to thank Dr. Lovell, Bill Henk and the search committee, as well as everyone I met with and spoke to about this position. It is clear how much everyone here loves Marquette, the mission of the university, and the fact that athletics is part of the fabric at this great institution.”
Have some patience, FFS.

Atticus

• All American
Re: Bill Scholl New AD
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:57:36 AM »
Another Notre dame grad?

Damn it!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 09:58:10 AM »
Oh no another Domer! Let the complaining begin!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:00:46 AM »
Salt stained hat wearer?

Death on call

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:02:34 AM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 10:02:49 AM »
Meh.  Lots to like and dislike about the hire.  I'll give it a chance.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:05:33 AM »
Mo Aker submitted the suggestion.
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:08:50 AM »
Meh.  Lots to like and dislike about the hire.  I'll give it a chance.

I don't know the first thing about this gentleman, so I have nothing to either like or dislike about the hire.

I'll give it a chance because:

1. It's the right thing to do.

2. I have no choice.

Welcome to Marquette, Bill!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 10:10:21 AM »
He didn't rip Wojo or remind him that he's the boss, so I guess that's a good start.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 10:15:10 AM »
Deputy AD means he was basically Notre Dame's Mike Broker, right? If so I think it's a pretty good hire. ND sucks for many reasons, but there is no denying that it has a monstrous athletic department. 
Bring back FFP!!!

Slim

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »
So, is Broeker's job safe? Does a new AD typically come in and form their own team?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 10:18:36 AM »
New President. New Athletic Director. New Basketball Coach.

Same winning tradition.

;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »
I don't know the first thing about this gentleman, so I have nothing to either like or dislike about the hire.

I'll give it a chance because:

1. It's the right thing to do.

2. I have no choice.

Welcome to Marquette, Bill!

Yep.  One thing seems clear to me, that with the hiring of Lovell, Wojo and Scholl (with his background at ND) that Marquette has a clear understanding of how it wants to achieve athletic success and how intercollegiate athletics should fit at the University.

SP, LW and Buzz were never going to work because I don't think they were on the same page to begin with, and lacked the political, professional and personal abilities to get on the same page.  I think this group will get along much better in that regard.  

Not sure it matters, but Kevin White (Duke's athletic director) used to work at Notre Dame so there are some (admittedly tenuous) connections between Scholl and Wojo.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »
Salt stained hat wearer?

Class ring wearer?

/May the words: "The Notre Dame Way", never pass his lips.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »

Yep.  One thing seems clear to me, that with the hiring of Lovell, Wojo and Scholl (with his background at ND) that Marquette has a clear understanding of how it wants to achieve athletic success and how intercollegiate athletics should fit at the University.

SP, LW and Buzz were never going to work because I don't think they were on the same page to begin with, and lacked the political, professional and personal abilities to get on the same page.  I think this group will get along much better in that regard.  

Not sure it matters, but Kevin White (Duke's athletic director) used to work at Notre Dame so there are some (admittedly tenuous) connections between Scholl and Wojo.

You realized that reasoned arguments have no place in this thread.  You're supposed to look through his bio and find the first thing that causes an emotional reaction and go off half-cocked about that.

Then again, this thread might also serve a useful purpose, watch for those that get all bent out of shape that he's a domer ... they are the one's that were rejected by ND and never got past it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 10:29:50 AM »
Can he flush a toilet?

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »
Please tell me he's getting his Ph.D. in Sports Management or something, because then he would be the perfect guy to keep the Athletic Department on good footing.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 10:35:48 AM »
If Shaka's wife signs off on this, can donedeal be consumated?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 10:37:13 AM »
I get that Notre Dame is a rival, but outside of sports, why all the hate? Because they're successful?

harigtad

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »
I know Bill from his days at Notre Dame and always really liked him - looking forward to having him on board at Marquette

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 10:39:43 AM »

Ah, Kevin White ... the guy who extended Bob Davie's contract for absolutely no reason.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 10:40:06 AM »
We used to celebrate what separated us from the arrogance in South Bend. Now the goal is to be their not quite as bright little brother. Whoopee!

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 10:40:26 AM »
I get that Notre Dame is a rival, but outside of sports, why all the hate? Because they're successful?
I don't know.  Because their student body and alumni base are a bunch of brie eating namby pambys?

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 10:40:47 AM »
What worries me as that he got his degree in "American Studies" at ND.  That is the throw-away program that they toss all of the "student athletes" into who don't have a prayer in completing the general curriculum.  Basically ND's version of basket weaving.  Looks like he took the short bus to South Bend.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
I can't remember the last time there was so much positivity surrounding the bball program and University as a whole.  Even through the 3 consecutive Sweet 16 streak I had this feeling that "shady" things were being done behind the scenes to protect players/coaches.  Trying to remain a realist when it comes to expectations for this season and I fully anticipate it being littered with growing pains but 2015 and beyond I have very high hopes for!!