Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:36:07 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:25:35 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Will the team get out. The weather in NYC is brutal  (Read 6135 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Will the team get out. The weather in NYC is brutal
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:29:13 AM »

Airports are closed today and may not reopen until Sat afternoon. Jamie Dixon took his Pitt team Thursday to NY for his SJU game te beat the storm.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: Will the team get out. The weather in NYC is brutal
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:30:48 AM »
Airports are closed today and may not reopen until Sat afternoon. Jamie Dixon took his Pitt team Thursday to NY for his SJU game te beat the storm.
literally and figuratively, right?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »
 Could fly into Hartford and bus into NJ.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »
Didn't they stay in the metro NY area? It seems like a lot of unnecessary travel and hassle to go back and forth in that short of time span if they didn't.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:12:38 AM »
They have to go to class, man.  I know we often forget that, but these guys are student-athletes.  They would have had to miss 2 full days of classes, on top of probably missing classes tuesday and wednesday already.  I know we have tutors up the wazoo, but they still have to attend classes from time to time.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
We're in the city and looking out the window.. it's coming down pretty good but streets look passable yet.  From the maps it looks like some airports in the philly and new jersey areas should be intermittently operational.  I'm guessing that a chartered flight has a bit more flexibility too (i.e. they can get to the area and just choose the best airport to land at in between the chunks of snow clouds).
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »
literally and figuratively, right?

Good call.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
Good call.

It was right there on the tee for me.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 11:24:10 AM »
We're in the city and looking out the window.. it's coming down pretty good but streets look passable yet.  From the maps it looks like some airports in the philly and new jersey areas should be intermittently operational.  I'm guessing that a chartered flight has a bit more flexibility too (i.e. they can get to the area and just choose the best airport to land at in between the chunks of snow clouds).

Well, they have to file a flight plan.  THey can't just get up in the air and choose what airport to land in.  Yes, they can certain divert once they are up in the air if an airport is closed, but it's not a situation where they lift off the ground and just sort of look for the first available airport.

LON

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »
Well, they have to file a flight plan.  THey can't just get up in the air and choose what airport to land in.  Yes, they can certain divert once they are up in the air if an airport is closed, but it's not a situation where they lift off the ground and just sort of look for the first available airport.

I thought charter planes were just like cruising around looking for parking...

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 11:27:33 AM »

well of course, but if the best option isn't open it's not like they have to turn around and come home either.  that was my point.. this storm is sporadic and spread out enough that there are other airports available.  The roads look decent enough for them to get in whichever airport they end up at.  At the moment I'm not really worried.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 12:56:06 PM »
Actually they might not have to file a flight plan depending on if they are flying IFR or VFR; however I'm a little fuzz on the details as well as the special restrictions within NYC airspace

LON

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 02:48:39 PM »
Actually they might not have to file a flight plan depending on if they are flying IFR or VFR; however I'm a little fuzz on the details as well as the special restrictions within NYC airspace

So no flyover tours around the Statue of Liberty?

/had to

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 02:52:27 PM »
A few times for the Big East Tournament, the charter flight has gone to New Jersey to avoid delays at the NYC airports.  It's a pretty quick bus ride to the city.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 03:03:22 PM »
A few times for the Big East Tournament, the charter flight has gone to New Jersey to avoid delays at the NYC airports.  It's a pretty quick bus ride to the city.

did you wear the costume through the TSA line?
But I like to throw handfuls...

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 03:07:23 PM »
There was one time we didn't take a charter jet and I found a note in the costume bag saying the TSA had taken my Lisol.  The costume smelled awful until we got back.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 03:24:48 PM »
Then of course there's always the Hudson River ;D

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Then of course there's always the Hudson River ;D

too soon!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »
too soon!

Everyone lived, so "too soon" rules don't apply.

LON

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 04:15:25 PM »
too soon!

Too soon would be (maybe not), I hope the pilots didn't learn from the same teacher as Corey Lidle.

/see you in hell

chapman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 04:30:18 PM »
Not sure where they're flying into (Newark makes the most sense), but they'll get in with little or no trouble.  Don't think it was bad enough that the NY airports won't be available, otherwise NE Philly and a 1.5 hr bus ride would be the very worst.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »
FYI - http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KJFK&state=NY

Wow... they have a script running that blocks the site if you're running AdBlock Plus.  Eff that noise.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 04:38:45 PM »
Not sure where they're flying into (Newark makes the most sense), but they'll get in with little or no trouble.  Don't think it was bad enough that the NY airports won't be available, otherwise NE Philly and a 1.5 hr bus ride would be the very worst.

No no no!!! And an even bigger NO to the Hartford idea above.

Look what happened to 'nova last month.  The team slogged through the snow in a few hour bus ride to DC (which took about five times longer than ususal) and was crushed as G-town score 101 points.

If MU has to endure a "Planes, Trains and Automobile" adventure to get to the Hall, then don't play the game.  We'll just shoot 2 for 21 from 3-land and lose.  The Hall is not DePaul (and for us, DePaul is not DePaul)

Either fly into Newark in a way that keeps the road game routinue as normal as possible or reschedule.  

It's too important a game to throw away having the team spending hours on a plane, inch along on a bus, and then stand in the snow.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 04:50:40 PM »
No no no!!! And an even bigger NO to the Hartford idea above.

Look what happened to 'nova last month.  The team slogged through the snow in a few hour bus ride to DC (which took about five times longer than ususal) and was crushed as G-town score 101 points.

If MU has to endure a "Planes, Trains and Automobile" adventure to get to the Hall, then don't play the game.  We'll just shoot 2 for 21 from 3-land and lose.  The Hall is not DePaul (and for us, DePaul is not DePaul)

Either fly into Newark in a way that keeps the road game routinue as normal as possible or reschedule.  

It's too important a game to throw away having the team spending hours on a plane, inch along on a bus, and then stand in the snow.

Yeah, the BEAST will have no issues with that.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »
The game's not 'til Sunday.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 04:55:50 PM »
Not sure where they're flying into (Newark makes the most sense), but they'll get in with little or no trouble.

Has anyone, ever in the history of aviation, gotten into--or out of-- Newark with little or no trouble?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 05:29:12 PM »
Has anyone, ever in the history of aviation, gotten into--or out of-- Newark with little or no trouble?
Spent a winter flying in and out of there. One time, I arrived 2.5 hours late. My wife said "wow, that was pretty good." Talk about lowered expectations.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 05:31:06 PM »

I did back in 1992-93 time frame.  Of course, my flight was supposed to land in Dulles instead.  :-\

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 06:30:28 PM »

My gf lives in Seacaucus and I can honestly say that flying into Newark is brutal. Continental has overnight flights that land at 5am, and ive still had a 1.5 hr delay. Southwest into LaGuardia is much better.

That said, they've got about 16 inches of snow right now with more to come. Buses from NJ to NYC were all canceled, so I would say they must fly into Newark. Hopefully it stops tonight and they can clean up before they fly in tomorrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 06:46:01 PM »
I live just outside Princeton. The sun was out about 1 pm this afternoon. Doubt they'll have trouble getting in tomorrow.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 07:34:49 PM »
Buses from NJ to NYC were all canceled, so I would say they must fly into Newark.

Good thing the game is at the Prudential Center which is in Newark, NJ then. ;)