[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who would you add? (From last years team)  (Read 3145 times)

Rocco

• Starter
Who would you add? (From last years team)
« on: February 25, 2010, 11:38:32 PM »
I got in a debate with another MU fan last night after the game.  I asked him if he could bring one guy back from last years team who would it be?  He said Burke, I said James.  I honestly think a point could be made for any of the four.  But my pick would be a healthy James.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Who would you add? (From last years team)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:41:21 PM »
James all the way.  He was our best perimeter defender last year and that is one of the key things we are missing.  And James is just as good if not better with running the offense than Acker.  While Burke was good for last year's team we would be hurting offensively with him on the team this year.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:11:44 AM »
I tend to agree that DJ would be the guy. Particularly, the DJ from his senior year that was more of a "pass first" point guard and did not force as many jump shots.

That said, you could make a compelling case for Wes Matthews. He would start at the 3, allowing DJO to play exclusively at the 2. Wes was a good all-around player and could guard five positions - a valuable commodity given our current personnel. This would allow Lazar a little more rest, as you could move Jimmy to the 5 and Wes to the 4 for spells. He would certainly help us on the boards and with perimeter D.

Very interesting question. I do agree you could make a case for any of them.

What about if you could add any player from the last 10 years of MU basketball, excluding DWade?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:58:21 AM »
Wesley.  It'd give us a slasher who gets to the hole (which only DJO does on this team with consistency, and even he is more of a shooter than a slasher).  It would also give us more size at the guard position.  Instead of starting Acker (really like 5'6" but listed at 5'8"), Cubillan (really 5'10" but listed at 6') and DJO at 6'1", we'd be starting Acker, DJO, and Wes at 6'4", to go along with the 6'7" Butler and 6'6" Hayward.  Burke wasn't good enough to make up for the fact that we need a big.  Also, the way Acker has been running the team has been fantastic this season, making the need for a PG less, thus the need for DJ less.  I would take any of the 4, though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 01:35:56 AM »
Wesley, though Burke would be tempting.

I don't think I'd be able to deal with DJ's cramping.

But if you go back another year...Barro.
SS Marquette

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 06:43:09 AM »

I don't think I'd be able to deal with DJ's cramping.

Did DJ cramp at all his senior year that you recall? I watched every single game and don't remember a single cramp.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 06:52:19 AM »
Definitely DJ.  A lock-down defender, could get to the hoop at ease, never turned the ball over, and he could have kicked to the wide open gunners that this team has in DJO, Acker, Cubes, and Lazar.  Also think he could have gotten guys like Buycks and Fulce easier baskets off his drives.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 06:55:05 AM »
Give me a first team Big East, second team All-American player to start at the two over Cubillan.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 08:15:35 AM »
Jerel. We need someone who can cut to the lane. We go possessions at a time without a paint touch more often than I'm comfortable with. It makes the offense really one-dimensional.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

San Diego Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 10:08:51 AM »
From last 10 yrs:

John Polonowski when he wasn't drinking.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 12:04:29 PM »
Give me a first team Big East, second team All-American player to start at the two over Cubillan.

+1
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 01:12:33 PM »
Definitely Pat Hazel.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 01:28:57 PM »
I think Wesley without a question.  Big guard, strong, could post up, good defender, good rebounder, great FT shooter, and he would fit in with our current style with finding the open shooter with the dribble drive.  I think the last factor about the style of offense this year gives Matthews the edge over DJ and JM.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 01:43:13 PM »
put me in the DJ crowd. That senior leadership he brings to the table plus his skill at running PG would be something I'd take. I think that combination puts us ahead in some of those close losses against Nova and WVU

The only downside I see is if there'd be enough basketball go to around with DJO Butler Lazar and DJ

I chuckled a little when I said he'd bright some height to the PG position but...

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »
persoannly i do not think i could stomach another year of Jerel.  Without a doubt the worst decison maker since i have watch Mu basketball for over 30 years.  Watching him make one stupid play after another and then rationalize it by being an agressive player got really old after a year or two.  The 30 footer against villanova with 15 seconds left last year was one of what 200 complete head scratchers?  

While I would tend to say DJ.  I would probably go with Wesley at the 2 or 3.  Acker has defensive weakness but is the engine that makes us go offensively.  Cubi is a poor defender and we play 4 on 5 when he is out there offensively.  

Best lineup would be Acker, Wes, DJO, Butler, Zar.

clearly i beleive Dj and jerle are better than acker and DJO, but if i could only have 1 it would be wes for cubi

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:50:42 PM by MR.HAYWARD »

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 02:50:46 PM »
We would have beaten nova 2x with James' perimeter defense.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 03:56:51 PM »
Id go Wes or Jerel. They can both guard very well(not as good as DJ) and along with that they are big time scorers. This way we would still keep Acker at the point who does great assist to turnovers(leaving no need for DJ) and have DJO out their as well with jimmy and Lazar. Jerel or Wes would start for Cubby and we would be set. Our offense would have 3 guys that can get to 20 pts at anytime and we would add a solid defender as well.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 04:10:54 PM »
Id go Wes or Jerel. They can both guard very well(not as good as DJ) and along with that they are big time scorers. This way we would still keep Acker at the point who does great assist to turnovers(leaving no need for DJ) and have DJO out their as well with jimmy and Lazar. Jerel or Wes would start for Cubby and we would be set. Our offense would have 3 guys that can get to 20 pts at anytime and we would add a solid defender as well.

Reading everyone's posts there have been some really good arguments for Wes.  We could keep Acker out there, have DJO at the 2, and Wes at the 3.  We would sacrifice a little perimeter D with Wes (versus James) but his offense would be better than James and it would give us another solid rebounder.

Change my answer to Wes.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 06:30:46 PM »
I'm actually not even sure we would lose a whole lot on D anyways. Wes would have very good size for a guard and really the main reason Jerry Sloan got him minutes and a starting role is because of Wes defense. So factor in the ability to score and Wes is definitly a notch above Dj. Now if you want to give up a good amount on d but have a lights out offense then Jerel would be your guy. In this offense Jerels far superiorty to the 3 ball would benefit greatly.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....