[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who would you add?  (Read 6165 times)

Litehouse

• All American
Re: Who would you add?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 10:06:29 AM »
I would take a lot of the players mentioned above first.  But for a more scaled down version, Koshwal from DePaul or McGee from Pitt would be nice to have with this team.  Heck, even Ndiaye from Rutgers would help us a lot.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 10:10:12 AM »
1. Aldrich
2. Monroe, surprised nobody has mentioned him.
3. Sadly, Gody.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 10:12:14 AM »
Jon Leuer

Because when you take away his points in December, we would have another marquee road win.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 10:17:08 AM »
This shouldn't really be a debate...

Cole Aldrich.

dolly4512

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 10:20:08 AM »
john wall is the best player in the nation. a no-brainer. cousins would be next. as for last year's marquette player, mcneal is obvious. big east defensive player of the year and a candidate for big east player of the year until the final week of the season.

wall is phenomenal. last year would have been blake griffin.

warriors77

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 10:23:28 AM »
I would take Pat Patterson. Cousins is a monster but he only plays about 23 min a game and gets in to foul trouble often. And i think that Aldrich is way overrated.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 10:29:32 AM »
Damion Jones would be a good choice as well.

maybe even... Damian Saunders...

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 11:16:57 AM »
The point of this thread was to find who would be the best fit. Harangody I would agree would not be the best but he certainly would make the team better, I can't think of a way we add a guy like him (hate him with all your heart or not) and not get better. Do you really think this team doesn't need offensive help? The last 4 games we have scored 63, 51, 79 (OT) and 63 (OT)...and only one of those games was against one of the upper echelon Big East teams. So its not like we are lighting anyone up. Id gladly take his 24 pts and 10 boards a game.

System wise, i still dont think so. He might get ten boards a game, but he doesnt block out for sh*t, so i dont think he would net gain us very many boards.

Further, he might score 24 ppg, but they arent efficient. For him to get those points, he still would need to take a ton of touches away from our guys who already are scoring.  From 12/12 - 2/4 he played 13 games, some against pretty poor teams.  Of those, he only took less than twenty shots four times. He averaged 21 fga in that span to average his 25 pts.  He's like a pudgy Jeremy Hazell. ND can keep him.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 10:48:02 PM »
I can understand someone rather wanting another player, but 'throw up in my mouth'? Grow up and stop the I hate every white player at Duke thing....and for the record if you don't think Harangody would be a very nice addition as well, you haven't been watching enough college basketball.

Gody's been a nice subtraction for ND since he's been out.  When's the last time Duke's played to its seed?  I don't hate Zoubek.  Or Miles Plumley.  I would say the Villanova-Duke game is an excellent example of exactly how good Duke-Singler included- is at playing the up-tempo brand of basketball they play.  Singler is overrated, and I don't care what stats you quote.  I also agree with Taylor King's statement about Duke's lack of emphasis on defense and rebounding. 

What is Singler supposed to be?  A top-flight scorer on a top-flight team?  A number one swingman?  I'd take Damian James or Wes Johnson before him, easy.  If I took one player off Duke I wouldn't even take him.  I'd take Smith.  If I took one white player, I'd take Scheyer. 

Once again, you made me imagine Singler in an MU uniform, and I threw up in my mouth.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 10:58:54 PM »
Going with just some of my favorite (I use that word loosely) big east players:
De'Sean Butler or Stanley Robinson, for a strong inside presence.
Scottie Reynolds: probably the best guard in the BE?

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 11:40:29 PM »
JaJuan Johnson

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2010, 12:04:49 AM »
Gody's been a nice subtraction for ND since he's been out.  When's the last time Duke's played to its seed?  I don't hate Zoubek.  Or Miles Plumley.  I would say the Villanova-Duke game is an excellent example of exactly how good Duke-Singler included- is at playing the up-tempo brand of basketball they play.  Singler is overrated, and I don't care what stats you quote.  I also agree with Taylor King's statement about Duke's lack of emphasis on defense and rebounding.  

What is Singler supposed to be?  A top-flight scorer on a top-flight team?  A number one swingman?  I'd take Damian James or Wes Johnson before him, easy.  If I took one player off Duke I wouldn't even take him.  I'd take Smith.  If I took one white player, I'd take Scheyer.  

Once again, you made me imagine Singler in an MU uniform, and I threw up in my mouth.

We will agree to disagree then.  But Scheyer is the one white player you would take? Great, because we totally need another guard. I find it strange that whenever a white player is very good in the big conferences he becomes the most hated. Cue Harangody, Hansbrough, Morrison, Reddick, Aldrich (read big XII boards), Gray, Rautins, etc. Maybe that is because ESPN seems to always fall obsessively in love with one, but to easily dismiss such players is just funny b/c it shows the bias that white American players only are good because they 'hustle' are 'scrappy' or have a high BBall IQ and that they aren't as talented automatically.

Your point that ND has been better since losing Gody I believe is a statement on a team being used to relying on one player for so long that they didn't realize the other very good option on the floor...along with the fact that Gody is a ball hog.

Believe it or not, Singler is more talented offensively than any player we have (and please don't turn that into I don't think our players are good/talented). Please tell me why you throw up in your mouth when imagining Singler in an MU uni, and using Duke's tempo as a reason for why Singler doesn't run the floor well is flawed-MU as a team really isnt an up-tempo team this year.

Again, I'm fine with you disagreeing that he would be the best fit. However, your argument that he wouldn't fit very well and add a lot to this team is simply wrong.  There is a reason he was a high school All American and has one of the best all around offensive games in the NCAA. The fact that he plays for Duke and that Duke hasn't had a lot of NCAA tourney success lately isn't an actual reason, the same way choosing Jamine Peterson wouldnt be a good pick because Providence isn't that good.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:10:09 AM by KCMarq09 »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 12:20:51 AM »
I like Hansbrough.  I like Rautins.  Rautins has been one of my favorite non-MU players in the last year and a half.  I don't like Singler because he gets a lot of attention and the teams he leads don't win the important games that they're supposed to win, and they don't win games that they're not supposed to win.  MU wins games they're not supposed to win.  I would not add a guy who doesn't win games he's supposed to win.  And if you're primarily an offensive player, you have to be the guy to hit the game-winning shot, or break teams down in the final minute.  He had the opportunity to do that against WI, and he failed.  I can't name another close game where he failed because I don't watch enough Duke.  But I also can't name a game in which he succeeded.

I particularly dislike Singler because people talk about him like he brings intangibles because he's on Duke, and people assume Duke is a smart team that exceeds other teams in all the intangibles.  I see Singler as a guy who fails to bring much in the intangibles category; yet because he's a Dukee he has this aura of basketball intelligence around him.  If Duke is so good in the intangibles category, I would think they would overachieve rather than underachieve.  Yet, lately at least (since 2004), they have underachieved in the NCAA tourney.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2010, 01:48:11 AM »
I like Hansbrough.  I like Rautins.  Rautins has been one of my favorite non-MU players in the last year and a half.  I don't like Singler because he gets a lot of attention and the teams he leads don't win the important games that they're supposed to win, and they don't win games that they're not supposed to win.  MU wins games they're not supposed to win.  I would not add a guy who doesn't win games he's supposed to win.  And if you're primarily an offensive player, you have to be the guy to hit the game-winning shot, or break teams down in the final minute.  He had the opportunity to do that against WI, and he failed.  I can't name another close game where he failed because I don't watch enough Duke.  But I also can't name a game in which he succeeded.

I particularly dislike Singler because people talk about him like he brings intangibles because he's on Duke, and people assume Duke is a smart team that exceeds other teams in all the intangibles.  I see Singler as a guy who fails to bring much in the intangibles category; yet because he's a Dukee he has this aura of basketball intelligence around him.  If Duke is so good in the intangibles category, I would think they would overachieve rather than underachieve.  Yet, lately at least (since 2004), they have underachieved in the NCAA tourney.

I certainly cannot disagree that players on Duke get unnecessary/undeserved favoritism in the media. I can't remember the last time they actually lived up to the hype....but they always somehow earn a top ten ranking for most the year (they win the games they're supposed to). We will simply have to agree to disagree on Singler, I really don't think Rautins in anything special that I would even think about taking him over Sinlger.

Oh well, I kind of took more offense to you throwing 'up in your mouth ' as describing him. Do you really not think just having him on the team wouldn't help us...even a little? Take away how he plays with Duke, he would have to play our style....you really wouldn't want to add him to our team if we were somehow magically able to?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2010, 07:20:02 AM »
JaJuan Johnson

I was thinking the same thing.  The dude is probably a bit too skinny when it comes to defending Shrek or Onuaku down low, but I he's one hell of an athlete and can run the floor which would be a great thing to be able to do on our team.  Easy baskets...

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010, 11:22:23 AM »
Duh, Shaq circa 1999.

MU83

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010, 11:57:19 AM »
Evan Turner or Robbie Hummell (prior to injury obviously).

Cousins is a punk.  Of the handful of games I've watched, I've seen three incidences where he threw cheap shot elbows to an opposing players face or neck.  Ability wise he's great, character wise he's an ass.  Perfect fit for the NBA though.

feedback