[Today at 05:23:07 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler's pro potential  (Read 5815 times)

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
Butler's pro potential
« on: February 24, 2010, 10:48:14 PM »
Is he overseas or got a chance to play in the league? I think he has the size, skill, and athleticism to play the 3 in the NBA. Is he quick enough? How does he compare to Wes?

warriors1991

• Team Captain
Re: Butler's pro potential
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »
This year's a huge leap from last.
Next year will really tell. Is he still just a slasher and get-to-the-line guy (been fantastic for us this year) or will he really become the complete player?
I would LOVE to see him put up a couple more 3's per game. Not tons but his stroke is sweet, I just don't get why he takes so few of them when most defenses don't guard him beyond 15 feet.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 11:02:09 PM »
Hes got a shot, anyone who can get to the line the way he does can make a living so if he continues his improvement he could definitly land an NBA job somewhere.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 11:05:48 PM »
I don't see him as explosive as Wes but he will be able to play high level European ball and make a good living.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »
I think he is better than Wes.  He is practically the same size, but he is more explosive and a better rebounder.  With every bit as good of an outside shot.  I can't really think of one thing Wes did better than Jimmy does.  Maybe ball handling?

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 11:17:36 PM »
Wes slashes and defends better (and distributes, maybe?).  Would be fun to see those guys go 1-on-1.

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 11:43:49 PM »
I dont know about you guys but I think Jimmy would slash more if that were his role on the team.  Just watching him play I think its obvious he's at least even in athleticism and he hits his FTs (now).  I think he and DJO could be pro material.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 11:58:57 PM »
Jimmy is deceptively big, long.  He is all of 6'6" and has all the tools.  It will be interesting to see his role next year.  Does he take a back seat to the guards, or does he shine in a Lazar type role?  It would be nice to see him running the wing and throwing some down.  He is good with the left as well.

redddog13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 12:04:03 AM »
Why are we comparing him to, Wes, other than making the pro's? Does he have a role in the NBA?  I doubt it, but maybe could be a bench guy making a living? I don't even know who to compare, jb to?  Poor mans Joe Smith?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:06:48 AM by redddog13 »

Chili

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 12:09:38 AM »
Why are we comparing him to, Wes, other than making the pro's? Does he have a role in the NBA?  I doubt it, but maybe could be a bench guy making a living? I don't even know who to compare, jb to?  Poor mans Joe Smith?

Except Joe Smith was 6-10 and a number 1 overall pick.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 07:22:49 AM »

Jeff Green (if my failing memory serves me correct) from G-Town a few years back???  I thought Jimmy is bigger than Wes?

LON

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 08:11:05 AM »
This year's a huge leap from last.
Next year will really tell. Is he still just a slasher and get-to-the-line guy (been fantastic for us this year) or will he really become the complete player?
I would LOVE to see him put up a couple more 3's per game. Not tons but his stroke is sweet, I just don't get why he takes so few of them when most defenses don't guard him beyond 15 feet.

Jimmy has said numerous times his favorite spot for 3's are the corner baselines.  Think Bruce Bowen.

I LOVE the way he plays.  Never out of character and very unselfish.

EDIT:  Homer said something on the post game to the effect of 'He didn't make the 1st game winner because he wasn't on the baseline.'
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:12:51 AM by LancesOtherNut »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 08:21:01 AM »
But he's a juco.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 08:24:39 AM »
But he reads children's books.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 08:42:23 AM »
I love Jimmy Butler. He is a great kid and a very good college player. The leap he has made from last year to this year is tremendous. As for NBA aspirations, he would need to greatly improve his ball handling and his 3-pt shooting to have a good shot at the league. He could be a "poor man's Latrell Sprewell" if he could shoot the 3 with more consistency. He has the same body type and, its needless to say, a much better attitude.

A more likely destination is Europe or the D-League. He'll get to an NBA camp and from there who knows? That kid that left MU for Valpo almost made the Bucks on a training camp invite. Best of luck to Jimmy. I'll remember him and Lazar for a long time. They took ownership of this team and have us poised for a NCAA run a year after the 3 Amigos left and this was supposed to be a "rebuilding year."
We Are Marquette

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 08:55:20 AM »
Butler's game needs plenty of work for him to be NBA-ready. He has a good outside shot, but it takes him too long to get it off. He also isn't quick enough and doesn't handle the ball well enough to play the 3 on the next level nor is he strong enough at this point. That being said, he's 6'6" with room to fill out and all the things mentioned above are areas that he can conceivable improve (ie it's not a lack of height or athleticism).

I could see him being the type of guy who spends a few years bouncing around Europe or the D-League but eventually finds a spot on an NBA roster - Jamario Moon comes to mind.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 09:38:55 AM »
Butler's game needs plenty of work for him to be NBA-ready. He has a good outside shot, but it takes him too long to get it off. He also isn't quick enough and doesn't handle the ball well enough to play the 3 on the next level nor is he strong enough at this point. That being said, he's 6'6" with room to fill out and all the things mentioned above are areas that he can conceivable improve (ie it's not a lack of height or athleticism).

I could see him being the type of guy who spends a few years bouncing around Europe or the D-League but eventually finds a spot on an NBA roster - Jamario Moon comes to mind.

I agree.  But I would add that his improvement since the beginning of last year offers hope he'll get his chance at the NBA sooner than later.  Its his ballhandling that he needs to improve more than anything.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 09:46:40 AM »
Jimmy is not "the same size as Wes"  I have said this since the day I met jimmy Butler two summers ago and he came into the AL with Joe Fulce.  he is at least 6'7" if not 6'8".  he stands 2 inches taller than Joe and porbably 3" taller than zar.  he is much longer than zar. 

Jimmy is no where as explosive as Wes but has a chance to make a NBA team he can shoot and he can drive.  His ball handling skills ned to improve to play the 3 in the NBA but he has the ideal body for an NBA 3.  would not be surprised if a team gave him a  shot he needs alittle more explosion and a little more ball handling skills and he can play int he league.  he has a year and a half to tigheten up and i,rove on those areas.  If he can he has a heck of a chance.

Jimmy's worst area is his defense.  he is simply a  terrible defender.  to watch jimmy and zar playing defense next to each other is like watching day and night.  hard to imagine how he good be any worse guarding anyone.  Luckily he can still improve on that and that has never been a skill that kept someone out of the leaguae andyway.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 09:55:43 AM »
Homer was saying yesterday that he measured Jimmy at 6'7.5" in shoes.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 11:53:08 AM »
He definatley has a chance to make it in the NBA, but I just cannot see it happening.  He is a great college player, but he lacks the skills to be able to play at the next level.  Almost all of his offense comes from offensive rebound putbacks and drives.  I would like to see him take more jump shots and 3's when left open.  How many times has he passed up a wide open jumper? tons.  I hope he proves me wrong, I would love to see another MU player in the NBA. 

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 01:14:44 PM »
But he reads children's books.

more than most NBA players can read.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 01:21:11 PM »
For a lot of players, much of making an NBA roster comes down to finding the right spot. For example, I don't think anyone projected Matthews to be a starter for a Playoff team. Most thought he'd be a nice 10th-12th man who could eventually get his chance down the road. If he had signed somewhere other than Utah, he might not have had the opportunity to prove he's an NBA-caliber player.

Another example is Steve Novak. He's riding the pine for the Clippers but could probably be a solid contributor for a team like Golden State who heavily favors offense over defense. He might even fit in on a title contender like Orlando who likes to spread the floor on O and has a strong shot blocker to help him out on D.

The best example of this is probably Steve Kerr. He didn't see much action for the expansion Orlando Magic or some sorry Cavs teams, yet he was a solid contributor on 3 title teams in Chicago.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 01:26:38 PM »
For a lot of players, much of making an NBA roster comes down to finding the right spot. For example, I don't think anyone projected Matthews to be a starter for a Playoff team. Most thought he'd be a nice 10th-12th man who could eventually get his chance down the road. If he had signed somewhere other than Utah, he might not have had the opportunity to prove he's an NBA-caliber player.

Another example is Steve Novak. He's riding the pine for the Clippers but could probably be a solid contributor for a team like Golden State who heavily favors offense over defense. He might even fit in on a title contender like Orlando who likes to spread the floor on O and has a strong shot blocker to help him out on D.

The best example of this is probably Steve Kerr. He didn't see much action for the expansion Orlando Magic or some sorry Cavs teams, yet he was a solid contributor on 3 title teams in Chicago.

Very true. And Novak will have a a spot on a roster for a very long time because he does one thing better than almost anyone in the NBA - shoot the deep ball.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 01:30:59 PM »

I always wondered about Kerr.  Great shooter but didn't seem a great athlete.  He did GREAT with the Bulls and I continue to hope Novak can find a situation like that.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 01:34:59 PM »
back in boot camp they had some video clips of butler and one showed him doing a standing broad jump and another vault onto some foam gym blocks
and when i saw the spring and athleticism that young man has i thought he could be a special player, he can absolutely fly... i think he could play at the next level, but first i want to enjoy watching him grow at MU

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 02:13:53 PM »
Love Jimmy, but has a ways to go before he lands in the NBA.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 07:19:59 PM »
Love Jimmy, but has a ways to go before he lands in the NBA.

I agree.  If, however, he improves Jr -> Sr year like he did  So -> Jr, he's got a shot at it!

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 08:22:22 PM »
tell you what, he improves that much again (which I unfortunately dont think is possible) he'll be a lottery pick.

GregClausenForever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 09:25:42 PM »

+1 fo sho.  Wes Matthews was exactly the personality fit that Utah wanted. 

However, Novak has been totally underutilized in Houston and LA.  If we was on a run-and-gun style team, he'd be good for 6-8 ppg.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 10:52:42 PM »
tell you what, he improves that much again (which I unfortunately dont think is possible) he'll be a lottery pick.

So there's a chance.   ::)

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 12:05:19 PM »
I think he is better than Wes.  He is practically the same size, but he is more explosive and a better rebounder.  With every bit as good of an outside shot.  I can't really think of one thing Wes did better than Jimmy does.  Maybe ball handling?

Jimmy has 2 inches on wes
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

feedback