[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: X is going to be tough  (Read 10486 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: X is going to be tough
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2023, 08:17:20 AM »
As long as we show up, we're kind of playing with house money as Tower said. As Uconn has shown, it's hard to win on the road against the top of this league. A loss won't hurt, but a win would hurl us into a much different conversation.

These two teams match up really well on paper - can't wait

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2023, 08:20:06 AM »
As long as we show up, we're kind of playing with house money as Tower said. As Uconn has shown, it's hard to win on the road against the top of this league. A loss won't hurt, but a win would hurl us into a much different conversation.

All losses hurt, but I get your point and agree with the rest of your post.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2023, 08:32:39 AM »
I’d really like to see Jop have a breakout game today and rain down some shots from behind the arc. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2023, 08:34:05 AM »
As did I, by a ton. These people aren’t going to do deep dives on the team. They see a team that has 0 projected 2023 NBA Draft picks doing well, so they’re looking at a plucky team that plays hard and punches above its weight.

Edited to include: they also saw a team that finished 6th in the Big East and lost 3 starters, including their 2 leading scorers, and replaced them with an NAIA transfer, an international prospect who wasn’t viewed as a top recruit, and two 3 star, sub 150 ranked recruits. Their leading returning scorer averaged 7.4 points per game. They also were a terrible rebounding team and lost 3 of its top 4 rebounders.

All in all, it’s completely fair to say this team is punching above its weight. It’s a testament to Shaka’s coaching ability.

Perfectly right wades. Add they are led by a PG that shot poorly from distance and had trouble finishing drives and their only returning big is 6'9" and wiry.

Maybe it's semantics, but I don't view it as a case of analysts refusing to admit they are wrong. Instead, they are looking at the parts and are amazed at the greater-than-the-sum results. Having at least five guys playing well above reasonable expectations of their improvement is what I think leads to the comment "has them thinking they are better than they are." Not a slight, instead a compliment about "Shaka's superpower".
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

panda

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2023, 08:45:54 AM »
Perfectly right wades. Add they are led by a PG that shot poorly from distance and had trouble finishing drives and their only returning big is 6'9" and wiry.

Maybe it's semantics, but I don't view it as a case of analysts refusing to admit they are wrong. Instead, they are looking at the parts and are amazed at the greater-than-the-sum results. Having at least five guys playing well above reasonable expectations of their improvement is what I think leads to the comment "has them thinking they are better than they are." Not a slight, instead a compliment about "Shaka's superpower".

Bingo - we’re significantly out performing national pre season expectations. National broadcasters giving us kudos for changing their personal perception and expectations of us is a good thing.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2023, 08:48:24 AM »
It’s Shaka as an underdog. I’m not worried

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2023, 08:53:49 AM »
I just hope Shaka keeps it close & does not win by more than 3 so we can improve our close game winning % (CGW %). I'm worried about seeding when committee looks at that statistic.
Goal is National Championship

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2023, 08:59:12 AM »
I saw so much gone and some incomplete pieces returning. The player development and improvement of known flaws has been sensational. This is two straight years (out of two) that Shaka has gotten a team to punch above it’s weight, and I am loving it.

We may have something in this guy.

panda

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2023, 09:01:21 AM »
I saw so much gone and some incomplete pieces returning. The player development and improvement of known flaws has been sensational. This is two straight years (out of two) that Shaka has gotten a team to punch above it’s weight, and I am loving it.

We may have something in this guy.

Yep - it’s really incredible. This team shouldn’t be performing at this level. Heck we watched Wojo teams flounder year after year getting worse as the season went on.

panda

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2023, 09:03:44 AM »
Yep - it’s really incredible. This team shouldn’t be performing at this level. Heck we watched Wojo teams flounder year after year getting worse as the season went on.

Just watching kam’s shot selection improvement. Omax’s control in the lane improvement, Stevie’s patience and intelligence not to force shots, Tyler’s scoring improvement and everything about oso. Wow - no one could’ve predicted this is where we’re at with a good chunk of conference still to play.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2023, 09:04:25 AM »

/Mope warning

That actually happened last year too.

panda

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2023, 09:06:21 AM »
/Mope warning

That actually happened last year too.

I expected better outcomes last year though with proven cbb pieces.

*this level being #2 Kenpom offense. I’m not sure anyone in the right mind would’ve predicted that pre season.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2023, 09:10:31 AM »
No argument with you Muggs. I did not imply that a win today would not be "inordinately consequential" and of course we all have high hopes. My point was if the game does not, ummm.. end well for us, we are still in a strong position. Contrast this with Wojo blowing our chances by his alleged coaching. He left Ws on the table when we had a chance to move up in the BE.

Touche Scoop Snoop.  I'm starting to gear-up for the game!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2023, 09:11:22 AM »
How's everybody feeling,???  I was up a little earlier than normal today.  This game is obviously MASSIVE.  Hopefully we find a way.

Of all the top teams, I like this matchup the best. UConn and Providence provide problems with physicality, while Creighton with a healthy Kalkbrenner has the players and scheme to best take away what we want to do. Xavier is a similar version of us (up-tempo, offense first) but not quite as good on the offensive end and without any defensive attribute to hang their hat on. I think we have a back and forth affair and pull away a bit at the end. Also like the over, I think we get into the 90s today.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2023, 09:15:52 AM »
Of all the top teams, I like this matchup the best. UConn and Providence provide problems with physicality, while Creighton with a healthy Kalkbrenner has the players and scheme to best take away what we want to do. Xavier is a similar version of us (up-tempo, offense first) but not quite as good on the offensive end and without any defensive attribute to hang their hat on. I think we have a back and forth affair and pull away a bit at the end. Also like the over, I think we get into the 90s today.

That’ll hurt our defensive numbers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2023, 09:18:24 AM »
Xavier at home looks like a mountain to climb.

They are experienced, have 5 guys averaging in double figures, and 5 guys shooting over 40% on 3's. That sounds like a nightmare.

Strategists, theorists, how will Shaka attack/defend to pull out a W in Cincy?
let’s spin this bad boy. X is thinking…Marquette? Oh sheeet! Warriors are gonna be a hill to climb. They have speed, quickness, guys that can shoot it, and floor slapper D. Sounds like a scary movie for a Sunday matinee.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2023, 09:26:06 AM »

I'm feeling similarly, brew. Something like 92-85, Marquette.

As for expectations re what we were returning ... obviously it was impossible to project that Oso would be THIS good, but based on the stuff Shaka was saying as well as reports from observers, I expected significant improvement from everybody in our starting 5, a lot of improvement from Joplin, and a pretty big contribution from Sean Jones. (Had no idea what to expect from Ross or Gold.) I thought we'd be better this season than last, and by definition that meant an NCAAT team with a very good chance to win a couple of tourney games. Then throw in the Big East being relatively "down," especially Nova.

So no, I didn't think we'd be kicking butt and taking prisoners like we have been, but I expected major improvement and progress, and I'd have been disappointed if we had taken a step backward.

Great work by Shaka, his assistants and especially the players.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2023, 09:29:35 AM »

Not just UConn….none of the top 5 in the league has won on the other’s home court.
Its not just hard…..to this point it hasn’t happened.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2023, 09:37:41 AM »

I hear ya Brew,  Again, this may be the game we unleash our full arsenal and play with 40 mins of prime-time precision and fury.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2023, 09:46:12 AM »
Not just UConn….none of the top 5 in the league has won on the other’s home court.
Its not just hard…..to this point it hasn’t happened.

The top Big East team that gets 1-2 road wins out of that group is going to be the one that wins the league. If we win today, I really like our chances to snag the 1-seed at MSG.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2023, 10:17:24 AM »
The top Big East team that gets 1-2 road wins out of that group is going to be the one that wins the league. If we win today, I really like our chances to snag the 1-seed at MSG.

That would be a Big East Title.

That would be amazing.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2023, 10:21:40 AM »
That would be a Big East Title.

That would be amazing.

Are you ready Dr. V???!!!!

DoctorV

• All American