[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Strotman: How Shaka brought me back  (Read 6071 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[Paint Touches] Strotman: How Shaka brought me back
« on: January 11, 2023, 08:39:03 AM »
A little different than our posts of late, but I think it's a sentiment shared by a lot of MU fans. 

https://painttouches.com/2023/01/11/strotman-how-shaka-brought-me-back-marquette/

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: [Paint Touches] Strotman: How Shaka brought me back
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 08:57:24 AM »
“Also, a reminder for Wednesday that I take attendance”

A-hole.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 08:58:25 AM »
Very nice read.
Although we disagree on this site for many items and issues, we can all agree we are infected with MUBB.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 09:01:51 AM »
A little different than our posts of late, but I think it's a sentiment shared by a lot of MU fans. 

https://painttouches.com/2023/01/11/strotman-how-shaka-brought-me-back-marquette/

So you are a Nojo?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 09:03:11 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 09:10:40 AM »
Whatevs. My fandom never changed.    Born of the last two years of Majerus and the first two of Dukiet.  Wojo was easy.  Not particularly inspiring. 

Welcome back.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 09:23:13 AM »
So you are a Nojo?

I (Andrei, the dumb one) was probably the last one on the SS Wojo. Mark (the smart one) wrote this. Should have made it clearer, apologies.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 09:23:52 AM »
I remember reading early stuff on the old site. Used to think you guys were like middle aged, here I am probably having been drinking my own vodka in a sprite bottle right behind you.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 09:27:10 AM »
I never lost faith -- except, perhaps during the Dukiet years. I've always gone when I could and for several years, when I still lived in Lake County, IL, I had weekend season tickets (much to my wife's chagrin). I saw much more of Wojo than most Marquette fans and probably screamed at the TV as much as anyone not named Goose.

Coach Smart is a breath of fresh air. Our teams are as scappy as Al's and are guys we can be proud of. They aren't a**holes and I don't think we will be reading about them on the front pages of the Chicago Tribune. Because he left Texas, much to the disappointment of several of my Texas alum friends, and came to us, I rather believe that Coach Shaka is here as long as we want him.

Because I'm Al-era grad, I'm not yet prepared to say, "We're Back!" I am prepared to say we're headed up and with a few more really good victories (like tonight, perhaps) and sustained success, we will be BACK! I've said in here before, I want Marquette FEARED again. That's beginning to happen. Teams don't want to see us, especially at home!

I don't see the team as much in person anymore, living in Florida (though I did drive over to Ft. Myers for the day). But, my Christmas present from my wife (who definitely WILL NOT be accompanying me) is airline tickets back and tickets to the Villanova and Butler games!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 09:28:45 AM »
That is a great read and welcome back to the family. Three seasons ago I found myself watching Bosch or anything I could find on Netflix over watching the team and program. I loved MU basketball since the late 1960's, when I was a 5-6 year kid and found myself not missing it. The program has been part of me for over 50 years and I hated not supporting the program, but I could not support the program any longer. It was simple, the fans and the university deserved better and I lost faith that it would ever get better.

Shaka Smart not only has changed my feelings on the program, but MU as a whole. The move they made to hire him was outstanding and showed what MU basketball means to the school and the fanbase. What Shaka has accomplished in bringing back the fanbase is simply unbelievable. I was just telling my so that on FB the MU basketball posts are getting 100's of likes vs. the 50 or so even a year ago. There is an energy and excitement surrounding the program that you can feel.

Like many on here, talking MU ball amongst my family and friends is getting off the charts. My daughter in law (UW grad) thinks my son is overly jacked up and he swore off the program 6-7 years ago. All I can say, I am going to enjoy every minute of this season and hopefully a long run of a Shaka led program.

MU will never be the MU of the 1970's and I am fine with that, but it can be a modern version of it. My interest in building a successful program is completely selfish because I have wanted the pre-Al fans and my kids to see something special happen at MU. My negativity in the past was because I felt MU could do much better. I am convinced that Shaka Smart is the guy to make it happen.

Fxxk 'em!!!!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 09:29:37 AM »
Whatevs. My fandom never changed.    Born of the last two years of Majerus and the first two of Dukiet.  Wojo was easy.  Not particularly inspiring. 

Welcome back.

Yeah, I don't want to sound like a preachy old man, but I've seen much worse than the Wojo era.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 09:31:33 AM »
I (Andrei, the dumb one) was probably the last one on the SS Wojo. Mark (the smart one) wrote this. Should have made it clearer, apologies.

I got that the first time. I was just being funny as Mark used a lot of emotions and words when "NoJo" would have worked just fine. I enjoyed this article and all the others PT puts out.  Thanks for your efforts!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 09:33:21 AM »
With Tower.  Have always and will always be a Marquette basketball fan.  If I have the opportunity to go to a game or watch it on TV, I'll take it.  I'll hope the team wins no matter how bad they are or what state the program is.  When they are good, the results of each game might "make or break" my next 2 hours after a game, but not much more has or will change regardless of where the program is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

connie

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2023, 09:45:49 AM »
Having lived through Dukiet and then Mike Deane's satisfaction with the NIT and recruiting talent like Jarrod Lovette, I did not fall as hard or as far, but my feeling for my beloved warriors was certainly diminished.  I think "apathy" is the best description for the Wojo years, and I, too have been drawn back in by Shaka.  Thanks Coach, and well done MU.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Magnum

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 10:05:30 AM »
I got that the first time. I was just being funny as Mark used a lot of emotions and words when "NoJo" would have worked just fine. I enjoyed this article and all the others PT puts out.  Thanks for your efforts!

The season ending collapses under Wojo were incredibly frustrating and the Hauser situation was very disappointing, but the high-profile recruiting victories, overall talent, and high-powered offenses were enjoyable...

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2023, 10:21:23 AM »
Not much worse than the Wojo era -  Deane teams were at least fun to watch,  Dukiet years were short and had no expectations really.  Wojo years were maddening, lasted way too long, and lie most, I just started not watching.

Yeah, I don't want to sound like a preachy old man, but I've seen much worse than the Wojo era.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2023, 10:26:00 AM »
Not much worse than the Wojo era -  Deane teams were at least fun to watch 

Until all of KO's recruits graduated.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2023, 10:27:01 AM »
Great article Mark. Been a die-hard MU fan since K.O. was hired.  We've generally had a good run since that time.  As much as I disliked Wojo as a Coach since 10 games in to his hire, I still tuned in.  On the positive we generally were fun to watch/skilled offensively.  However, I did stop caring his last year, and didn't watch a lot of the games, and certainly didn't attend any.

The issue with Wojo was that he had A LOT of talent in the program during his whole time here, but he never could figure out how to best use it, seemingly couldn't figure out best lineup combinations and playing time allocations.  It was maddening and alarming.  He was waaaayyy to reactive.  Buzz at times could get unhinged too. 

Contrast that to Shaka.  Cool.  Calm.  Consistent.  Our starting lineup hasn't changed one time this season.  He mixes in guys wonderfully, and has created a great culture within the locker room and revived passive fan interest.

And to think that if Wojo just would have been less of a meathead and more open-minded to Scholl's request to modify his coaching staff - we potentially would still be stuck with Wojo. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2023, 10:31:02 AM »
Nah, Wojo was gone. Why stick around if you don't have admin and fan support.  Makes no sense.  Head to Utah and enjoy a couple years off.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2023, 10:33:20 AM »
Nah, Wojo was gone. Why stick around if you don't have admin and fan support.  Makes no sense.  Head to Utah and enjoy a couple years off.

He was tryin to land something else for two years but no one was biting.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 10:37:34 AM »
Maybe

Eye

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 10:44:47 AM »
Said at last regular-season game in '20 wasn't going to another home game until Time and Score was gone. Last 21 months have been fun, and the ceiling is high.
GO WARRIORS!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2023, 10:48:52 AM »

Welcome back.

My fandom didn’t change either, but the joy that fandom brings has increased exponentially.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2023, 10:49:42 AM »

New Year’s resolution?

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2023, 11:17:43 AM »
New Year’s resolution?

Obviously not yours, though.