[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 53020 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #1225 on: November 10, 2023, 09:05:39 AM »
Winning the NL Central isn't the hardest thing in the world to do.  The division stinks.  Brewers should sell Burnes and Adames for sure.  If you can get value back to get off Yeli's contract you should do that too.

Shift the timeline to when Churio is ready to be the feature player on your roster.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1226 on: November 10, 2023, 10:40:57 AM »
I don't follow the Brewers very closely, but maybe this is the right thing to do.

Still, from afar, it seems really weird that a team that just won its division BY NINE GAMES would go into full-rebuild mode.

The Cubs blew up the remnants of their WS team the year after they won the division in 2020.  If you’re not absolutely in a position to win in the next 2-3 years, paying big bucks to pending FAs isn’t necessarily prudent.  And that’s what it feels like with the Brewers.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1227 on: November 10, 2023, 11:03:54 AM »
The Cubs blew up the remnants of their WS team the year after they won the division in 2020.  If you’re not absolutely in a position to win in the next 2-3 years, paying big bucks to pending FAs isn’t necessarily prudent.  And that’s what it feels like with the Brewers.

Losing Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo was a short-term loss for a long-term gain and that time is now.  They were right to bid them adieu, too
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1228 on: November 10, 2023, 11:25:21 AM »

Fair point.

Winning the NL Central isn't the hardest thing in the world to do.  The division stinks.  Brewers should sell Burnes and Adames for sure.  If you can get value back to get off Yeli's contract you should do that too.

Being an NL wild-card team also isn't the hardest thing in the world to do. Aside from the top few teams, the league stinks. The Diamondbacks did it even though they won only 84 games. And then they got to the World Series.

But yes, point taken. I don't like tanking, but I realize it's necessary sometimes, especially for smaller-market teams.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: November 10, 2023, 01:06:44 PM »
I think the Tigers' brass thinks that if the young pitchers stay healthy, and one of the minor league hitters can play second and hit at the major league level, that Detroit can contend for the AL central/wild card.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1230 on: November 10, 2023, 01:59:52 PM »
Peddle their collective asses, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1231 on: November 10, 2023, 02:14:01 PM »

Thanks for the insight.  This just smells bad.  Reinsdorf seems ready to sell or move the team and is eliminating payroll at all levels.  He is making his books look as good as possible.  The Nashville White Sox may be a reality soon.  What a garbage owner.  He has one championship that he produced since the 80s.  He lucked into Jordan.  Any schmuck could have built an empire around him. Kudos to him for not trading him. Which I’m sure he thought about.  Otherwise his legacy is nothing.  What a shame.  The only worse owners in all of sports are the McCaskeys.
Can't imagine Benetti's contract would move the needle for the White Sox's valuation. Are buyers of pro sports franchises even really doing a true valuation? Outside of big ticket items like TV contracts and stadiums, seems like it all just comes down to whatever someone is willing to pay.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1232 on: November 10, 2023, 03:17:04 PM »
Can't imagine Benetti's contract would move the needle for the White Sox's valuation. Are buyers of pro sports franchises even really doing a true valuation? Outside of big ticket items like TV contracts and stadiums, seems like it all just comes down to whatever someone is willing to pay.

I don’t think it has to do with valuation but more burning a bridge with a best of breed broadcaster (someone that enhances the fan experience/enjoyment) and making moves off the field that sour your fans to you.  The kind of thing you don’t give a damn about if you intend to sell in the near future

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1233 on: November 10, 2023, 04:09:20 PM »
Reinsdorf has been doing stuff to piss off White Sox and Bulls fans for decades.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: November 10, 2023, 06:10:54 PM »
I don’t think it has to do with valuation but more burning a bridge with a best of breed broadcaster (someone that enhances the fan experience/enjoyment) and making moves off the field that sour your fans to you.  The kind of thing you don’t give a damn about if you intend to sell in the near future

This

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1235 on: November 10, 2023, 09:42:39 PM »
I don’t know if I’ve shared this story on here before (probably at some point I did).

When I worked for the Bulls (2000), I was in season ticket sales, my first job out of MU. This isn’t meant to sound like a humble brag, but the Bulls would receive hundreds of resumes weekly, from college seniors seeking jobs (Jordan era was over, but the Bulls brand was still very strong). I felt unbelievably lucky that I aced my interview and got hired. I was incredibly excited to get my dream job working in sports in Chicago.

Fast forward a couple months in, and I was miserable, I hated it. I still had plenty of friends in Milwaukee, and one July Friday, I was heading up there for the weekend. This is pre-cell phones, so I called my buddy Mark who was still living on campus, calling from my office line. We talked for 10 minutes at most. The Bulls wouldn’t allow us internet access (yes, you read that right), so I had to make sure I knew where we were meeting up in Milwaukee and needed verbal directions.

Late the next week, I got an invoice from Reinsdorf’s Bulls secretary for $6.47, for “long distance phone calls to 414 area code”. I literally had to cut a check to the Bulls for $6.47. As an employer, I guess they had every right to do it of course, but it felt so petty. And the Bulls definitely had STH’s in Southeastern Wisconsin.

I ended up leaving a few months later, and my dream job ended up being (for me), a nightmare. Ironically, especially as young as I was, it was the best thing to happen for me in my career.

Just thought I’d share some insight into my experience working for a Reinsdorf organization.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1236 on: November 10, 2023, 10:34:30 PM »
Just thought I’d share some insight into my experience working for a Reinsdorf organization.

Awful but not all together shocking as bad as that seems.

When I was still at Pepsico, I was working on Tropicana.  As I got a bit more embedded with the brand teams, they thought it would be good for me to spend some time with the Single Serve sales unit.  While all the major grocery chains or big box stores had sales reps that handled the big volume purchases, places like convenience stores/gas stations, corner stores, medical facilities/offices with cafeterias, etc...  had a more local sales team which were guys with refrigerated trucks that had territories they covered and delivered/upsold to, all ranges of Pepsico products including sodas, Gatorade, and juices (instead of just one segment like the bigger retailer sales teams).  I went on a couple daily routes with different guys but went out twice with a younger guy I got along great with. 

One of his accounts, at the time, was the White Sox.  He said they were a penny pinching NIGHTMARE.  If a juice spoiled before the date, they demanded not only a replacement, but additional credits.  If he was out, or short of something, which was not uncommon at all for some of the products, they demanded compensation.  Its been 8-9 years, but he had a list of 5-6 things that were very out of the ordinary, but they were a huge account and obviously the ballpark account was even bigger so you didn't want to rock the boat.  And since his role was sort of a contractor/wholesaler element, he'd often end up paying out of pocket for some of their BS.  It was/is incredibly cultural.

And similar to your situation, it was just petty.  Nothing they would complain or fight him about did ANYTHING to meaningfully move the needle for their employees or staff, it was just to win some self initiated battle of nickel and diming.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: November 10, 2023, 10:46:19 PM »
Wags - What’s funny about your story is I meant Reinsdorf in person one time. The Bulls office at United Center had a small break area that had a fridge always stocked with free Coke products.

The United Center had just switched over from Coke products to Pepsi products (this is probably July or August 2000). One of my co-workers and I went into the break room one afternoon, and Reinsdorf is bent down (he’s very short in person) going through the fridge for something. He turns to us and asks “do you guys know where I can get a Diet Coke?”. My co-worker and I were surprised and we said “Pepsi products have only been in here the last week, but there’s still a Coke vending machine by the visitors locker room downstairs”. Reinsdorf says “I better get that removed or the Pepsi people will have my ass.”

It was gone the next day.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1238 on: November 13, 2023, 10:03:53 PM »
Brewers take the most affordable option and promote Pat Murphy.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1239 on: November 13, 2023, 10:32:40 PM »
Brewers take the most affordable option and promote Pat Murphy.

I think this means there is a very high likelihood of several trades for prospects.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1240 on: November 13, 2023, 10:56:17 PM »
Rickie Weeks at bench coach will be interesting. It sounds like he could be a future manager.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1241 on: November 14, 2023, 04:42:42 AM »
Brewers officially in “Trust The Process” mode?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1242 on: November 14, 2023, 05:41:20 AM »
Wags - What’s funny about your story is I meant Reinsdorf in person one time. The Bulls office at United Center had a small break area that had a fridge always stocked with free Coke products.

The United Center had just switched over from Coke products to Pepsi products (this is probably July or August 2000). One of my co-workers and I went into the break room one afternoon, and Reinsdorf is bent down (he’s very short in person) going through the fridge for something. He turns to us and asks “do you guys know where I can get a Diet Coke?”. My co-worker and I were surprised and we said “Pepsi products have only been in here the last week, but there’s still a Coke vending machine by the visitors locker room downstairs”. Reinsdorf says “I better get that removed or the Pepsi people will have my ass.”

It was gone the next day.

love your stories dish!  epsecially the one about how the (white sox?) treated your family while your son was ill...hope things are going well for him and the family!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1243 on: November 14, 2023, 06:36:19 AM »
I think this means there is a very high likelihood of several trades for prospects.

Yup.  And the move to put Weeks on the bench almost assuredly means he takes over like Counsell did from Roenicke.

Brewers fans will bitch about Murphy getting promoted but whoever they hired would have lead to bitching.  They could hire Bruch Bochy and people would complain

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1244 on: November 14, 2023, 06:47:55 AM »
Yup.  And the move to put Weeks on the bench almost assuredly means he takes over like Counsell did from Roenicke.

Brewers fans will bitch about Murphy getting promoted but whoever they hired would have lead to bitching.  They could hire Bruch Bochy and people would complain

Murphy is a temporary hire, for sure.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1245 on: November 14, 2023, 07:17:27 AM »

They are going the way of organizational continuity and won't be doing any sort of rebuild. The hire is fine in that context.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1246 on: November 14, 2023, 07:28:43 AM »
They are going the way of organizational continuity and won't be doing any sort of rebuild. The hire is fine in that context.

I think it’ll be a “soft” rebuild

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1247 on: November 14, 2023, 08:00:22 AM »

Agreed, I think they trade Burnes, and go for prospects who aren't too far from the majors.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1248 on: November 14, 2023, 08:03:29 AM »

That is fair and likely accurate.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1249 on: November 14, 2023, 08:05:42 AM »
Agreed, I think they trade Burnes, and go for prospects who aren't too far from the majors.

What’s dumb about is, it’s the right thing to do with Burnes and Adames.  They can’t give him the deal he wants unless it has an opt-out for the team after x number of years and he won’t sign that.  If they sign him and he blows his arm out, then people will complain it was a dumb move giving a guy turning 30 a long-term deal.

Adames is fine in a vacuum but the system is loaded with middle infielders and he’s such a boom or bust candidate, he’s another one that if he’s on the books and busts, he’s hard to move.

Pull the band-aid on those two and see what happens