[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 53014 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #1200 on: November 07, 2023, 12:12:46 PM »
Mark on some serious copium.

"We're all here today because we lost Craig. But I've reflected on this. You know, Craig has lost us and he's lost our community. It's a really special place to be."

That's just a idiotic, pandering thing to say.  His contract was up and he went to another team for a boatload more money. Wish him luck. Say you believe in your organization. Move on.

"Craig lost us..." GMAFB.  He owes you and the organization nothing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1201 on: November 07, 2023, 12:26:36 PM »
You got your wish.   Be happy.

He wants Attanasio to sell to one of the local Milwaukee billionaires.

What’ll happen is, Mark will sell to an outsider and 4elder won’t like his politics or where’s he or she is from or how they run the organization.  If we’ve learned one thing through the years, 4elder is happiest complaining about teams he follows.  Wait until Shaka hits his first rough patch.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1202 on: November 07, 2023, 01:13:08 PM »
How about this. Counsell,  over the last six months, considering all the possibilities:

" I'm 53 years old. All the smart baseball people tell me I'm one of the top managers in the game. I wonder what it's like to work for an owner who has virtually an unlimited supply of money and a willingness to spend it on me. I wonder how many World Series I can win if my owner has the money to pursue the free agents I want and the other players I need to construct my team. My current contract is up in 2023 and I owe it to myself and to my family to find out."

It might not be any more than that. He's taken the Brewers to what, 5 playoffs in 9 years. Maybe he's grown weary of trying to pull rabbits out of a hat with a patchwork roster of promising young players and various journeymen and retreads hitting .220.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1203 on: November 07, 2023, 01:14:14 PM »
How about this. Counsell,  over the last six months, considering all the possibilities:

" I'm 53 years old. All the smart baseball people tell me I'm one of the top managers in the game. I wonder what it's like to work for an owner who has virtually an unlimited supply of money and a willingness to spend it on me. I wonder how many World Series I can win if my owner has the money to pursue the free agents I want and the other players I need to construct my team. My current contract is up in 2023 and I owe it to myself and to my family to find out."

It might not be any more than that. He's taken the Brewers to what, 5 playoffs in 9 years. Maybe he's grown weary of trying to pull rabbits out of a hat with a patchwork roster of promising young players and various journeymen and retreads hitting .220.

It's precisely that.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1204 on: November 07, 2023, 03:16:10 PM »
It's the Cubs.  It's the CUBS!!!!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1205 on: November 07, 2023, 07:19:02 PM »
It's precisely that.

Exactly. So why, until it (logically) happened why did you opine that there was 0% chance he was leaving?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1206 on: November 07, 2023, 07:31:50 PM »
It's precisely that.

Yep. Oh, and $40M, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1207 on: November 08, 2023, 06:11:21 AM »
Exactly. So why, until it (logically) happened why did you opine that there was 0% chance he was leaving?

Because that is how I felt at the time.  I'm sure you've never been wrong in your life, Lenny, have you? 

No need to answer.  Being a man is admitting when you are wrong, which is why I stood behind my comment and wagered on it.  I was wrong and I paid my donk tax.

Anything else interesting to add?

• All American
« Reply #1208 on: November 08, 2023, 04:01:21 PM »
The Angels hire 71 year old Ron Washington?

I guess...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1209 on: November 08, 2023, 04:15:02 PM »
Because that is how I felt at the time.  I'm sure you've never been wrong in your life, Lenny, have you? 

No need to answer.  Being a man is admitting when you are wrong, which is why I stood behind my comment and wagered on it.  I was wrong and I paid my donk tax.

Anything else interesting to add?

Of course I’ve been wrong. I just found it puzzling that before he left you felt there was 0% chance of it happening and after he left you said he made the logical move. Why would there ever be 0% chance of a smart guy like Counsell doing something logical?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1210 on: November 08, 2023, 04:32:18 PM »
Of course I’ve been wrong. I just found it puzzling that before he left you felt there was 0% chance of it happening and after he left you said he made the logical move. Why would there ever be 0% chance of a smart guy like Counsell doing something logical?

Guess you should have wagered too.  But you didn't.  Nor did you offer your opinion at the time.

Additionally, my original comment was that he'd be fired.  I had forgotten his contract was up, but since I'm not a jag off I took the wager.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: November 09, 2023, 10:08:04 AM »
Per the Athletic, Brewers open to trading everyone on the roster. Gonna be a ticket to rebuild city.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1212 on: November 09, 2023, 10:17:50 AM »
Per the Athletic, Brewers open to trading everyone on the roster. Gonna be a ticket to rebuild city.

#specialcommunity

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1213 on: November 09, 2023, 10:24:11 AM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1214 on: November 09, 2023, 10:33:11 AM »

I’m good with this.  Had Woodruff not gotten injured, I’d have been open to trading Burnes for MLB ready sluggers and running with Woody as the ace.

You already have plenty of good middle infielders and outfielders in the system and are set at catcher for 2-3 years, though with Quero knocking, a return on Contreras should be good enough that you can move him. 

I’d move Burnes and Adames for sure and listen on Williams.  It won’t be popular but it’ll be right.  Sign a few bounce-back candidates and see what happens

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1215 on: November 09, 2023, 10:41:17 AM »
I’d move Burnes and Adames for sure and listen on Williams.  It won’t be popular but it’ll be right.  Sign a few bounce-back candidates and see what happens

Yep. Can only bite at the apple so long, and they've had a longer than usual window of contention for a small market team.

Good news is that it shouldn't be a long process. Some good young talent on the way.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: November 09, 2023, 10:48:12 AM »
"We will have a manager," aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1217 on: November 09, 2023, 10:53:23 AM »
Yep. Can only bite at the apple so long, and they've had a longer than usual window of contention for a small market team.

Good news is that it shouldn't be a long process. Some good young talent on the way.

Correct.  I always forget about Quero, probably because of how good Contreras was.  I doubt they move Contreras, but I’d curious what kind of package they could get for him today

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: November 09, 2023, 11:11:44 AM »
A sucky year for White Sox fans just got much suckier.

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20231109/benetti-bolts-white-sox-joins-tigers-broadcast-booth

This was sadly inevitable. When Jason was going through an “interesting” contract renegotiation with the Sox last offseason, I was at the same time switching jobs myself. We talked about our respective situations and he told me how the Sox were looking to eff him over in multiple negotiating points (without getting too much in the weeds).

I’m supposed to have dinner with him towards the holidays, and even knowing this was going to happen either now or next year, still unbelievably bummed by this news.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1219 on: November 10, 2023, 07:55:58 AM »

I don't follow the Brewers very closely, but maybe this is the right thing to do.

Still, from afar, it seems really weird that a team that just won its division BY NINE GAMES would go into full-rebuild mode.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1220 on: November 10, 2023, 08:03:54 AM »
I don't follow the Brewers very closely, but maybe this is the right thing to do.

Still, from afar, it seems really weird that a team that just won its division BY NINE GAMES would go into full-rebuild mode.

Not necessarily.  You have two commodities entering their final arbitration year.  Adames isn’t a piece they have to keep or should overpay to keep. 

Burnes is a different animal because he’s a pitcher but giving him a massive deal is a recipe for disaster, imo.  He isn’t Verlander or Scherzer.  He’s 29 and going to get a massive deal somewhere and best of luck to him and the team that sign him. 

If Woodruff was healthy for 2024, I’d see a case to run it back one more time but with his injury, they can reset and given the system, a rebuild doesn’t have to be Pirates-like but similar to 2015-17 Brewers where they were contending a year and a half into a full reset

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: November 10, 2023, 08:14:32 AM »
This was sadly inevitable. When Jason was going through an “interesting” contract renegotiation with the Sox last offseason, I was at the same time switching jobs myself. We talked about our respective situations and he told me how the Sox were looking to eff him over in multiple negotiating points (without getting too much in the weeds).

I’m supposed to have dinner with him towards the holidays, and even knowing this was going to happen either now or next year, still unbelievably bummed by this news.

I thought the White Sox were supposed to be an organization that emphasizes loyalty - even when it’s to their detriment. The only positive of their horrible product last year was Jason and they let him go - to Detroit?? Really? What a sh!t show.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1222 on: November 10, 2023, 08:15:25 AM »
Not necessarily.  You have two commodities entering their final arbitration year.  Adames isn’t a piece they have to keep or should overpay to keep. 

Burnes is a different animal because he’s a pitcher but giving him a massive deal is a recipe for disaster, imo.  He isn’t Verlander or Scherzer.  He’s 29 and going to get a massive deal somewhere and best of luck to him and the team that sign him. 

If Woodruff was healthy for 2024, I’d see a case to run it back one more time but with his injury, they can reset and given the system, a rebuild doesn’t have to be Pirates-like but similar to 2015-17 Brewers where they were contending a year and a half into a full reset

That seems reasonable, Unk, and you obviously follow the organization far more closely than I do. I hope it works out for my Brewer-fan friends.

• All American
« Reply #1223 on: November 10, 2023, 08:16:07 AM »
That seems reasonable, Unk, and you obviously follow the organization far more closely than I do. I hope it works out for my Brewer-fan friends.

It won't.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #1224 on: November 10, 2023, 08:57:01 AM »

Thanks for the insight.  This just smells bad.  Reinsdorf seems ready to sell or move the team and is eliminating payroll at all levels.  He is making his books look as good as possible.  The Nashville White Sox may be a reality soon.  What a garbage owner.  He has one championship that he produced since the 80s.  He lucked into Jordan.  Any schmuck could have built an empire around him. Kudos to him for not trading him. Which I’m sure he thought about.  Otherwise his legacy is nothing.  What a shame.  The only worse owners in all of sports are the McCaskeys.

feedback