collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 52929 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #1025 on: October 13, 2023, 06:45:38 PM »
They need some big corner bats if they trade Burnes.  I’m fine trading Adames.

I don’t think they can do this, though, and lobby for a stadium deal.  Basically, they’re stuck going for it again, I think

Nibbin' at da apple, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1026 on: October 17, 2023, 07:34:18 AM »
A's pitcher Trevor May, a 9-year big-leaguer, announced his retirement ... but not before taking a parting shot at team owner John Fisher:

“Sell the team, dude. Sell it, man. Let someone who actually takes pride in the things they own, own something ... Take mommy and daddy’s money somewhere else, dork. And also, if you’re going to be a greedy f—, own it. There’s nothing weaker than being afraid of cameras. That’s one thing I really struggled with this year, not just eviscerating that guy. Do what you’re going to do, bro. You’re whatever."

(From The Athletic)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

shoothoops

• All American

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1029 on: October 17, 2023, 03:04:32 PM »
A's pitcher Trevor May, a 9-year big-leaguer, announced his retirement ... but not before taking a parting shot at team owner John Fisher:

“Sell the team, dude. Sell it, man. Let someone who actually takes pride in the things they own, own something ... Take mommy and daddy’s money somewhere else, dork. And also, if you’re going to be a greedy f—, own it. There’s nothing weaker than being afraid of cameras. That’s one thing I really struggled with this year, not just eviscerating that guy. Do what you’re going to do, bro. You’re whatever."

(From The Athletic)

Honestly, this just makes May look like a tool more than anything.  Dude played in Oakland for a single solitary year.  Not to mention calling the owner greedy when he got a 1 year, $7MM deal at age 33 the year after pitching a career low in innings due to injury.

There are plenty of things to criticize Fisher/The A's about, but the source and his argument, not to mention the manner, just makes him look super lame.  But hey, hope it converts into some Twitch subscribers from angsty A's fans!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: October 17, 2023, 03:36:07 PM »
Honestly, this just makes May look like a tool more than anything.  Dude played in Oakland for a single solitary year.  Not to mention calling the owner greedy when he got a 1 year, $7MM deal at age 33 the year after pitching a career low in innings due to injury.

Trevor May can't call out the A's owner's greed because he signed a $7 million contract after an injury plagued season?
I'm not connecting the dots here.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: October 17, 2023, 04:06:29 PM »
Trevor May can't call out the A's owner's greed because he signed a $7 million contract after an injury plagued season?
I'm not connecting the dots here.

Someone who spent a single year somewhere doesn't seem like the most informed person to speak to the full breadth of an owner/organization like he's long suffering, as his statement conveyed to me.  You'd have assumed he was someone like Canha making that statement.  And the irony was him getting a bigger over market contract from the "greedy" owner than anyone else would have given him.

Fisher is a terrible owner and what he's doing to A's fans in pursuit of a ballpark is gross, but May just seems like a odd mouthpiece for the complaints, just my opinion.  Its not a defense of the As in any way.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1032 on: October 17, 2023, 04:53:58 PM »
Someone who spent a single year somewhere doesn't seem like the most informed person to speak to the full breadth of an owner/organization like he's long suffering, as his statement conveyed to me.  You'd have assumed he was someone like Canha making that statement.  And the irony was him getting a bigger over market contract from the "greedy" owner than anyone else would have given him.

Fisher is a terrible owner and what he's doing to A's fans in pursuit of a ballpark is gross, but May just seems like a odd mouthpiece for the complaints, just my opinion.  Its not a defense of the As in any way.

So, he's not wrong, but he's a tool anyway because he wasn't there long enough? I don't know. I've never lived in Oakland, never been an As fan, and haven't attended a game in the Coliseum since the early 90s. I still think the guy is greedy.
As for getting an over-market contract ... maybe? The market pays what the market pays.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 05:47:49 PM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: October 20, 2023, 10:43:07 PM »
Two real good ballgames tonight.

Altuve must be cheatin' again!! (That's a joke. I think. I'm pretty sure. I think.)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1034 on: October 21, 2023, 07:09:26 AM »
Kimbrel may be the 2023 version of Jose Valverde.    Man, when your bulletproof closer suddenly stinks in the postseason, it is a desolate feeling.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1035 on: October 21, 2023, 08:48:46 AM »
My BIL is a big Rangers fan, so we were texting through the second half of the game after Garcia’s HR. Both thought the decision to pull Chapman when they did was a good one. Did not expect that to happen from Altuve tho.

Dbacks are wild.  Nobody really that scary in that lineup, IMO, but they just find ways to win.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: October 21, 2023, 09:43:38 AM »
Kimbrel may be the 2023 version of Jose Valverde.    Man, when your bulletproof closer suddenly stinks in the postseason, it is a desolate feeling.

Kimbrel hasn’t been bulletproof for a long, long time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: October 21, 2023, 09:46:22 AM »
No, but blowing back to back playoff games is a different level and throws the entire bullpen into chaos.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: October 21, 2023, 07:25:00 PM »
Not a dirty play by Harper.  Moreno's momentum carried him into the baseline.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1039 on: October 22, 2023, 07:54:22 AM »
Former Brewers pitcher Pete Ladd passed away at age 67.  Had 2 saves and got the last out of the ‘82 ALCS, taking over for an injured Rollie Fingers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1040 on: October 22, 2023, 10:06:04 AM »
Former Brewers pitcher Pete Ladd passed away at age 67.  Had 2 saves and got the last out of the ‘82 ALCS, taking over for an injured Rollie Fingers.

Ladd was one of those "exciting" relievers you had to watch through your fingers as you covered your eyes, but he mostly came through when the Brewers desperately needed a closer.

Loved those late-70s and early-80s Brewers teams. Spent many an early-fall and early-spring day tailgating at County Stadium before going to our $2.75 seats in the RF bleachers to watch the HRs fly. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: October 23, 2023, 05:42:03 PM »
When it comes to the major pro sports, while the Bucks and Bears are my teams, I'm big fans of the NBA and the NFL in general and watch good amounts of non-"my team" games.  Whereas baseball, I'm a big Cubs fan and always know their trend/form/recent results, but I watch a significantly lower percentage of their games compared to the other 2 teams and rarely watch much other MLB other than a Brewers game if I'm with my parents or other friends teams with them.

But the playoffs can be just so much fun and this LCS set is among the best I can remember.  Both series have been punch/counter punch, tons of comebacks and huge moments.  I love watching Harper and still love Schwarber and Castellanos from their Cubs days so the Phils are fun but man the Dbacks are resilient.  And the ALCS, my BIL is a huge Rangers fan being from East Texas.  So I was following Game 1/2 and texting a bit with him, but Ive been watching enraptured the last couple games.  Game 5 was wild and last night was insane.  The combination of the 8th inning jam into the Garcia grand slam, all on the road, was ridiculous.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1042 on: October 23, 2023, 06:10:33 PM »
Bucks, Bears, Cubs.

What did your parents do to you?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: October 23, 2023, 06:36:59 PM »
When it comes to the major pro sports, while the Bucks and Bears are my teams, I'm big fans of the NBA and the NFL in general and watch good amounts of non-"my team" games.  Whereas baseball, I'm a big Cubs fan and always know their trend/form/recent results, but I watch a significantly lower percentage of their games compared to the other 2 teams and rarely watch much other MLB other than a Brewers game if I'm with my parents or other friends teams with them.

But the playoffs can be just so much fun and this LCS set is among the best I can remember.  Both series have been punch/counter punch, tons of comebacks and huge moments.  I love watching Harper and still love Schwarber and Castellanos from their Cubs days so the Phils are fun but man the Dbacks are resilient.  And the ALCS, my BIL is a huge Rangers fan being from East Texas.  So I was following Game 1/2 and texting a bit with him, but Ive been watching enraptured the last couple games.  Game 5 was wild and last night was insane.  The combination of the 8th inning jam into the Garcia grand slam, all on the road, was ridiculous.

I’ve said many times that baseball is by far my least favorite of college basketball, college football, NBA, or NFL but it might be my favorite playoffs. The atmosphere is just more intense in the MLB playoffs than any of the others.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: October 23, 2023, 06:45:42 PM »
Randomly, I am imagining Jose Valverde with a pitch clock.   It would have destroyed him.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1045 on: October 23, 2023, 07:20:59 PM »
Both leagues going to game 7 in the LCS.  Happened in ‘20.  Before that was ‘04

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1046 on: October 23, 2023, 07:36:58 PM »
Randomly, I am imagining Jose Valverde with a pitch clock.   It would have destroyed him.

Not as much as Mike Hargrove. He would have 3 strikes called before a pitch was even thrown to him.

Trying to remember his nickname. The Human Rain Delay, maybe?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1047 on: October 23, 2023, 07:38:05 PM »
Not as much as Mike Hargrove. He would have 3 strikes called before a pitch was even thrown to him.

Trying to remember his nickname. The Human Rain Delay, maybe?

It was The Human Rain Delay

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1048 on: October 23, 2023, 07:42:15 PM »
Good call.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1049 on: October 23, 2023, 08:34:37 PM »
Rangers making the World Series potentially going through Tampa, Baltimore & Houston is why you keep taking bites at the apple

feedback