[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 53009 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #650 on: August 18, 2023, 04:18:57 PM »
It was the late Joe M. Rodgers who made that group formidable. Not sure anyone of Mr. Rodgers' stature is on thsi committee.

lol Joe Rodgers

was opposite me at my career first court hearing . There and then all of them were formidable, tho.

In 1984 I made my career first court appearance in Nashville for a Houston man who was 1) an investor /member of the Colored Young Mens Christian Assn (YMCA Group) and 2) sole objector to selling the YMCA's downtown Nashville land to build the 15-story, 244,957-square-foot Citizens Plaza at 400 Deaderick St..  I am alone at the hastily called injunction hearing, called to force my clients assent. Against HouWarrior, newly minted Texas atty were:

1) YMCA atty State Sen. Avon Williams (cousin of Thurgood Marshall and atty who desegregated the schools there)
2) Formidable Joe Rodgers (builder/developer), was driving the deal and brought Nashville's biggest firm, for show
3) R H Boyd III was there for Citizens Bank (oldest black owned bank in the USA) who would occupy the lobby space in the new building, (so the banks board was there too); and, for good measure
4) The Tenn AG appeared for the state of Tenn, as the other 14 floors were preleased to state of Tenn. for office space. 

Three whirlwind hearings in 24 hours, I lost and banner newspaper headlines next announced Citizens Plaza deal to move forward, noting groundbreaking to occur as scheduled. Wha? I hadnt heard of any such thing ( but was impressed how quickly all of the courts had moved here over 24 hours).

Seems Joe Rodgers never told me he already had Pres Reagan flying in for the groundbreaking ceremony/photo op (1984 election cycle) and I was mucking that up. I never stood a chance.

Yes they were formidable
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #651 on: August 18, 2023, 04:47:29 PM »
Brother Shoot:

My dad was part of efforts to bring baseball back to Nashville way back in 1977. The Vols had left Nashville in 1963 and former Vanderbilt head baseball coach Larry Schmittou (sp) organized an effort to re-baseball Nashville. With the country music stars of the day, they were wildly successful and the Nashville Sounds were a good draw for a long time.

I have my doubts about Nashville as an MLB city. First, their stadium at the old Sulphur Dell is inadequate for major league baseball. And I doubt seriously the stadium can be expanded to a level that would even remotely support a major league baseball team. So we're talking a new Stadium, just when Nashville is committing itself to a new stadium for the Titans. That's a couple billion dollars of stadium and at least five years. Unless Sumner, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson and Cheatham Counties kicked in the way the six-counties around Milwaukee did, it ain't happening.

And I don't see the Tennessee legislature taxing the surrounding counties for baseball. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever.

Second, while Nashville has grown exponentially since I lived there, I question whether the market  can support 81 baseball games a year at prices that will make ownership put a competitive team on the field. I know HCA, Nissan and Bridgestone have domestic or world headquarters in Nashville, but is there enough support for the skyboxes, advertising, naming rights and season tickets to carry a team profitability through 81 games? I don't know but I am skeptical.

Third, if an earlier poster is right and they want to build in North Nashville near TSU, their dooming the team to failure. I'm guessing they want to build on the old TSU football stadium site (TSU now plays at Nissan Stadium). The TSU site is way, way far away from the surrounding counties and the transportation infrastructure there is suspect. If there is to be an MLB stadium in Nashville, I'd think the only logical place for it is between the Victory Memorial Bridge (Main Street/James Robertson Parkway) and the Jefferson Street Bridge on the east bank. That's right next to Interstate 24, the Ellington Parkway and would have excellent access to downtown and every suburban county.

If it were me and I was looking for a future MLB market, I'd sure as hell be looking at Charlotte.

I'm the poster that mentioned the chosen site near Tennessee St. It's a preferred location but they are opem to other locations.

This is their group:

https://www.mlbmusiccity.com/leadership-roster/

Wilf, Birch, Ingram, and some of the athletics friendly people on Vandy's board would also be involved:

https://www.vanderbilt.edu/about/university-leadership/board-of-trust/

Generally speaking, Nashville is an Atlanta Braves town that also has some Cardinals and Reds fans.

Of course baseball at other levels is very popular within the region right now:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tennesee+baseball+project&oq=tennesee+baseball+project&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i13i512l2j0i22i30l2j0i390i650l5.9245j0j7&client=ms-android-tmus-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

https://vucommodores.com/vandy-united-ushers-in-new-era-at-hawkins-field/

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #652 on: August 18, 2023, 08:10:04 PM »
At least five years to build a stadium, more if public funds are involved.

The Portland Beavers haven't existed in more than 20 years. Their stadium was retrofitted for soccer in a way that prohibited baseball from ever be played there. I'd be leery of going to Portland with no recent history of minor league baseball.

There’s a high A team in Hillsboro, a big suburb. Less than 30 mins from downtown.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #653 on: August 18, 2023, 10:44:14 PM »
The Brewers hold off a furious rally by the first-place Rangers to win in Texas ... the Reds walk off against a good Toronto team ... and the Cubs find a way to lose at home to the rotten Royals.

Just another day in the NL Central.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #654 on: August 20, 2023, 04:52:24 PM »
Not great getting swept by the Dodgers but excellent road trip otherwise for the Crew.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #655 on: August 20, 2023, 09:46:38 PM »
Not great getting swept by the Dodgers but excellent road trip otherwise for the Crew.

I was expecting 2-4. 3-3 is a good result. Didn't expect it to come in the form of two sweeps.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #656 on: August 21, 2023, 03:24:53 AM »
I was expecting 2-4. 3-3 is a good result. Didn't expect it to come in the form of two sweeps.

6-3. You forgot the sweep of the Sox!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #657 on: August 21, 2023, 06:27:18 PM »
Crain’s reporting publicly what I’ve been hearing for a while now, Sox are looking to move and probably be sold.

• All American
« Reply #658 on: August 21, 2023, 06:38:00 PM »
Crain’s reporting publicly what I’ve been hearing for a while now, Sox are looking to move and probably be sold.

Stay in metro but move from Comiskey?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #659 on: August 21, 2023, 06:44:07 PM »
Stay in metro but move from Comiskey?

Article mentions Nashville as a possibility (I think that’s just Reinsdorf being Reinsdorf). Also mentions other spots in the city (doubtful), and suburbs (very likely).

The Sox lease on taxpayer money ends in October 2029, so the timeline for a new stadium I guess is finally here. I say this half jokingly, but the Sox & Brewers should co-build a stadium in Kenosha.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #660 on: August 21, 2023, 06:52:39 PM »
Article mentions Nashville as a possibility (I think that’s just Reinsdorf being Reinsdorf). Also mentions other spots in the city (doubtful), and suburbs (very likely).

The Sox lease on taxpayer money ends in October 2029, so the timeline for a new stadium I guess is finally here. I say this half jokingly, but the Sox & Brewers should co-build a stadium in Kenosha.

Arlington Heights with the Bears?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #661 on: August 21, 2023, 08:11:59 PM »
AL Wildcard race getting fun.

Doubt the Astros miss the playoffs but they have to unexpected sweat it out a bit. Got off to another bad start tonight bad have scored 4 straight vs the Sox

Red Sox have such a tough schedule not sure they will truly threaten to snag a spot. Would be pretty wild if Blue Jays dont get in, big disappointment per expecations if so.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #662 on: August 21, 2023, 08:38:08 PM »
Arlington Heights with the Bears?

If I were able to bet on where the Sox are playing in 2030, I’d bet on Rosemont.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #663 on: August 21, 2023, 11:42:53 PM »
If I were able to bet on where the Sox are playing in 2030, I’d bet on Rosemont.

That’s got the tackiness I bet that calls out to Jerry. Make sure it’s in the flight paths!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #664 on: August 22, 2023, 09:56:33 AM »
That’s got the tackiness I bet that calls out to Jerry. Make sure it’s in the flight paths!

I just went to a Milwaukee Milkmen game in Franklin, which is in the flight paths for MKE. It was really noticeable when a plane came in. I can't imagine MLB being okay with the tempo of flights that go into ORD.

Bottom of the 9th, Game Seven of a World Series. Pitch clock ticking to zero, a 777 just SCREAMING overhead during the windup. It's gonna rule.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #665 on: August 22, 2023, 10:21:32 AM »
Tackiness? Don't throw Rosemont under the bus just because the B10 moved there.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #666 on: August 22, 2023, 11:52:48 AM »
I just went to a Milwaukee Milkmen game in Franklin, which is in the flight paths for MKE. It was really noticeable when a plane came in. I can't imagine MLB being okay with the tempo of flights that go into ORD.

Bottom of the 9th, Game Seven of a World Series. Pitch clock ticking to zero, a 777 just SCREAMING overhead during the windup. It's gonna rule.

Is it any different than the Mets stadium by La Guardia?

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #667 on: August 22, 2023, 03:09:41 PM »
Tackiness? Don't throw Rosemont under the bus just because the B10 moved there.

I spent enough drunk nights at Toby Keith’s (RIP) with my friends who were too scared of the city to know the quality of its offerings.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #668 on: August 22, 2023, 03:47:57 PM »
Is it any different than the Mets stadium by La Guardia?

Honestly not sure. I haven't been to a game at whatever they're calling Shea Stadium these days. Maybe Rosemont wouldn't be that bad. I guess I'm not intimately familiar with where they'd stick the stadium relative to the interchange/airport area that I'm more familiar with. If it's as close to the approach path as the stadium is in Franklin to MKE, then my gut is that people wouldn't be thrilled, especially given how absurd the tempo of landings and takeoffs is at ORD.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #669 on: August 22, 2023, 04:32:41 PM »
I spent enough drunk nights at Toby Keith’s (RIP) with my friends who were too scared of the city to know the quality of its offerings.
Your friends are elderly, cognitively impaired dentists?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #670 on: August 22, 2023, 04:34:58 PM »
Your friends are elderly, cognitively impaired dentists?

Yall must be kin, aina?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #671 on: August 22, 2023, 04:39:49 PM »
My prediction is that Wander Franco will never play in another MLB game.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #672 on: August 22, 2023, 05:53:48 PM »
Please let the door hit you (hard) on the way out ...

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/1694118576351785450/photo/1

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #673 on: August 22, 2023, 06:39:14 PM »
Please let the door hit you (hard) on the way out ...

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/1694118576351785450/photo/1

If they promote Getz, we riot.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #674 on: August 22, 2023, 06:59:49 PM »
If they promote Getz, we riot.

Yeah, I don't hate Getz, but please God, not another company man. Clean house. Everyone goes.

feedback