collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 52980 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #550 on: July 27, 2023, 06:18:58 PM »
It's pretty bad when you trade for a first baseman who has an OPS of .732 and it's a major upgrade.

Hes 10th/36 qualified 1B defensively too.

As you said, its kinda sad that this marks a big upgrade. But it does at least.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #551 on: July 27, 2023, 06:28:19 PM »
On one hand I respect teams playing to win. And its nice to not just see teams selling off talent.

But idk about this one Angels. The odds of them making the playoffs is still very slim. They have to catch most of Houston/Texas, Toronto, New York, Boston. And stay ahead of Seattle.

They already have a bad farm system. So now they will lose a generational talent for nothing. Still have a bad farm.

For the White Sox, pretty meh return for Giolito AND Lopez. Bush is starting to project as a potential reliever himself. And the Angels already have a top catcher close to the bigs and the guy they gave up while he has great potential is flat lining a bit too and his big season may be a product of hitter friendly minors league. So Sox coulda tried for a little more since Angels were not even trading from a need.

Super young top-100 prospect (Top in Angels Org) and a lefty who could start as soon as next season for two expiring contracts in a year that is all but over? not sure what is meh about that. Unless you mean they could have gotten more?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #552 on: July 27, 2023, 07:17:46 PM »
I don’t know about that. I feel like they’ve done pretty well not giving up prospects that end up hitting.

One of the few I remember was Michael Taylor for the Sabathia trade. Also, Lorenzo Cain in the Greinke trade.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #553 on: July 27, 2023, 07:25:27 PM »
Super young top-100 prospect (Top in Angels Org) and a lefty who could start as soon as next season for two expiring contracts in a year that is all but over? not sure what is meh about that. Unless you mean they could have gotten more?

Bush is fading, a lot of projections have him as potentially more of a long term reliever with backend rotation potential at best.

Quero definitely has promise, as mentioned by Pakuni the K/BB rate is very nice and hes young. But his stock has dropped a bit this year and he hit in a very hitter friendly league last year. Also im always warying of catchers panning out. There are the freaks Mauer/Posey/Rutschman that you know will but a lot of ? at that position.

I just am not super enamored by the return, but again Angels farm isnt exactly loaded. Sox do need a catcher though so there isnt denying that.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #554 on: July 27, 2023, 09:32:02 PM »
A top 100 prospect at a premium position, who is one of the youngest players in AA, and a 6’6” lefty (who was recently in the Futures Game) for an alright SP and a mediocre RP, both of whom are going to walk in 2 months?

Sign me up. Nothing meh about that return. And I don’t give the Sox front office much credit for anything these days otherwise.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #555 on: July 28, 2023, 05:57:44 AM »
Cardinals fans at peak cardinals fans last night

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #556 on: July 28, 2023, 07:31:03 AM »
Cardinals fans at peak cardinals fans last night

Chip Caray is an absolute moron.  Imagine believing that situation needed “policing”.  And good on the umps.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #557 on: July 28, 2023, 07:56:54 AM »
Chip Caray is an absolute moron.  Imagine believing that situation needed “policing”.  And good on the umps.

Especially since Happ was obviously apologetic for hitting Contreras on the back swing. Easy call to toss him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #558 on: July 28, 2023, 09:04:39 AM »
Yesterday's performance by Ohtani might have been the best single-day, regular-season outing by a player in MLB history.

In 1968, Catfish Hunter pitched a perfect game against a Twins team that included 3 Hall of Famers (Carew, Killebrew, Oliva), and he also drove in 3 of Oakland's 4 runs. That's gotta be up there.

I'm sure there might have been a few other candidates, but a very few.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #559 on: July 28, 2023, 09:08:19 AM »
His breaking pitches were moving like whiffle balls.  They put up a graphic about his strikeouts that looked a connect-the-dots around the rectangular lines of the strike zone.   Nothing in the middle.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #560 on: July 28, 2023, 09:18:48 AM »
He sounds like a video game player creation.  It's insane. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #561 on: July 28, 2023, 10:07:41 AM »
One of the few I remember was Michael Taylor for the Sabathia trade. Also, Lorenzo Cain in the Greinke trade.

Nelson Cruz to the Rangers in the Francisco Cordero trade.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #562 on: July 28, 2023, 10:46:43 AM »

Not to nitpick, but I think it was Michael Brantley in the CC trade.  Agreed that LoCain was probably the most impactful player traded away by the Brewers in recent memory, though we knew that getting two years of Greinke was going to be expensive.  Every player in that deal ended up being a meaningful big league piece - Greinke and Yuni B for LoCain, Alcides Escobar, Jake Odorizzi and Jeremy Jeffress. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #563 on: July 28, 2023, 10:58:07 AM »
Yeah, I more meant in the smaller moves the Brewers have made.  Guys like Santana, Schoop, Mouse, etc.  They did give up some pieces that hit in the CC and Greinke trades, but those deals were always going to be worth it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #564 on: July 28, 2023, 11:03:07 AM »
Agreed that LoCain was probably the most impactful player traded away by the Brewers in recent memory,

Nelson Cruz is right up there with Cain.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #565 on: July 28, 2023, 11:14:56 AM »

Nelson Cruz turning into an absolute monster was not something many people saw coming.

• All American
« Reply #566 on: July 28, 2023, 11:33:13 AM »
Nelson Cruz turning into an absolute monster was not something many people saw coming.

That whole deal, Carlos Lee and Nelson Cruz, for Layne Nix, Kevin Mensch (and his enormous head), and Francisco Cordero was a bit of a fleecing by the Rangers.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #567 on: July 28, 2023, 11:36:04 AM »

I believe after the trade, the Rangers DFA’s him, so he was available to all. But definitely still someone who had a great career after the trade.

Thanks for the Brantley correction!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #568 on: July 28, 2023, 11:36:25 AM »

That whole deal, Carlos Lee and Nelson Cruz, for Layne Nix, Kevin Mensch (and his enormous head), and Francisco Cordero was a bit of a fleecing by the Rangers.

That's a good call.  That was not a good deal by the Brewers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #569 on: July 28, 2023, 11:38:53 AM »

More than fair.  He has mashed a lot of taters for a long time.  I also tend to underrate/overlook that other than the year LoCain finished 3rd in the MVP voting, Cruz's peak was right there with Cain. I didn't realize Cruz finished T-10 in MVP voting five times.

• All American
« Reply #570 on: July 28, 2023, 11:41:43 AM »
I believe after the trade, the Rangers DFA’s him, so he was available to all. But definitely still someone who had a great career after the trade.

Thanks for the Brantley correction!

Ahhh...forgot about the DFA.

And the funny thing about Brantley was he was a bit of a throw in on the CC trade.  Matt LaPorta, who ended up as a big nothing, was the big name in that trade.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #571 on: July 28, 2023, 11:50:33 AM »
Ahhh...forgot about the DFA.

And the funny thing about Brantley was he was a bit of a throw in on the CC trade.  Matt LaPorta, who ended up as a big nothing, was the big name in that trade.

I also remember everyone was hoping Taylor Green wouldn’t be the PTBNL. Who turned out to not be the star people hoped.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #572 on: July 28, 2023, 12:12:14 PM »
Are the cubs becoming buyers here in the last days of July? 6 straight wins and 9-4 since all star break. Or is it the more likely case of another hot streak followed by a very cold streak?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #573 on: July 28, 2023, 11:00:41 PM »
Are the cubs becoming buyers here in the last days of July? 6 straight wins and 9-4 since all star break. Or is it the more likely case of another hot streak followed by a very cold streak?

Amazing play to seal the win tonight.

If they buy I think it’s just at the margins - they’re not going to trade away any significant talent.

I don’t think they can sell at this point, however.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #574 on: July 29, 2023, 01:23:16 AM »
Cubs are in a bit of a pickle. They should probably sell but they’re hot and in a weak division.

Would offload Bellinger no matter what, maybe keep Stroman at this point.

feedback