Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Roy Williams in the Falls  (Read 5488 times)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Roy Williams in the Falls
« on: September 23, 2009, 08:50:34 PM »
He watched J.P. Tokoto at an open scrimmage in person. 

http://www.menomoneefallsnow.com/sports/60322052.html

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Roy Williams in the Falls
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:18:34 PM »
Lordy Lord,  Roy Williams!!!!!!

If he didn't have the Carolina name he'd still be a championship-less coach.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:26:07 PM »
Um ok, Stone Cold.

You could say the same of Coach K @ Duke, Bill Self at KU, John Wooden @ UCLA, Bob Knight @ Indiana, Al @ Marquette...not a whole lot of coaches that have won championships at multiple schools.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 09:40:22 PM »
Roy's won at schools beside UNC?

Al won a championship at MARQUETTE, a small midwest school.   Roy boy can't even sniff his jock.   

Roy at Kansas record shows he MAY have won a championship by now, probably not.   Good coach not great in my book. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:52:21 PM »
Roy's won at schools beside UNC?

Al won a championship at MARQUETTE, a small midwest school.   Roy boy can't even sniff his jock.   

Roy at Kansas record shows he MAY have won a championship by now, probably not.   Good coach not great in my book. 

Ridiculous.  Roy Williams is third all time in NCAA winning percentage and has been to seven final fours.  Do you know that outside of his first year with Kansas, when they were on probation, he has made the NCAA tournament every year as a coach?  And won at least one game in the last 20 consecutive tournaments?

The idea that he's not a great coach is just absurd.  In fact, I would rank him ahead of Dean Smith.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 09:57:11 PM »
Lordy Lord,  Roy Williams!!!!!!

If he didn't have the Carolina name he'd still be a championship-less coach.

Phil Jackson wouldn't have won a championship if he didn't have players named MJ, Shaq or Kobe.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 10:00:40 PM »

It may shock many but this sentiment is shared by many of the UNC faithful in NC. 

It's kinda the New York Yankee syndrome.  If they don't win the ACC, beat Duke twice, and make a final four, then it is a disappointing season in Chapel Hill.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 10:04:47 PM »
You let me begin my coaching career at Kansas and UNC and I'll win a couple championships. 

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 10:38:55 PM »
Well, there goes that recruit!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 11:03:23 PM »
there goes that recruit......yeeaaaahhh...heeeee.

you're like a bunch of chicks welcoming the beetles to town. 

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 11:09:23 PM »
It may shock many but this sentiment is shared by many of the UNC faithful in NC. 

I don't know where you get this; Roy is close to Deity among UNC faithful, not yet DES, but getting there. Spend a few minutes on any of their fan sites and you will see this to be the case. My son is an '08 UNC grad, and I can tell you from my time visiting him there and as a member of their premium boards that "Ol Roy" is a real close second these days.

Now their feelings about K, aka "ratface" is a whole other story.....

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 11:14:17 PM »
how does one become a texaswarrior?

Hit it rich in black gold?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 11:24:04 PM »

Hit it rich in black gold?

Drink much SC?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 11:47:15 PM »
from time to time.  Or after hard tests.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 11:48:19 PM »

by doing what i could to escape midwest winters..... ;)

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 10:47:42 AM »
You let me begin my coaching career at Kansas and UNC and I'll win a couple championships. 

If you don't think Roy Williams is a great coach, you don't know a whole lot about college basketball. And, for the record, Roy Williams didn't start his coaching career at Kansas or North Carolina. His first coaching job was at the high school level where he spent 5 years coaching basketball and golf.
Also, prior to his HS coaching, he played for UNC on the freshman team for one year. After that he spent his years sitting in the bleachers watching practice and taking notes on Dean Smith's practices. He VOLUNTEERED to keep stats at home games for the team and also worked Coach Smith's summer camps.
Sounds to me like he definitely put his time in and EARNED a position on staff at UNC...where he then made the most of that opportunity and made a name for himself.

He put his time in and worked his A$$ off like they all do and has become one of the great college coaches not just in the game today, but of all time.

MUCrisco

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 11:03:41 AM »
No offense, but to say that Roy Williams isn't a good coach is ignorant.  Roy Williams revolutionized college basketball with his secondary break.  He designed it for Dean Smith and the rest of that conference imitated them, so instead of calling it a secondary break, they call it the ACC break.  There are so many options that they run out of their break that it appears that they are calling different plays.  However, the variations are based upon reads.  For example, if a point guard passes ahead to the 2 guard on the wing, that initiates one option.  If the ball is reversed through the 4, the starts another.  If the point guard reverse spin dribbles, that signals another options.  They run around 27 options, just off of their secondary break.  These are not plays that are called from the sideline and accounts for the majority of what UNC wants to accomplish.  They run their secondary break any time they go from defense to offense, even after scores.

Roy Williams is an x's and o's mastermind.  None of this has ever been written down.  They are all in his head.  He is able to recruit great players because they want to play in a system like this.  But having great players doesn't mean championships.  You need talent to win, but it doesn't mean you are going to win.  He still has to mold those players into his system and one that is based on reads is tougher to get your players to teach rather than an offense based on set plays where they are robots.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 11:06:52 AM »
No offense, but to say that Roy Williams isn't a good coach is ignorant.  Roy Williams revolutionized college basketball with his secondary break.  He designed it for Dean Smith and the rest of that conference imitated them, so instead of calling it a secondary break, they call it the ACC break.  There are so many options that they run out of their break that it appears that they are calling different plays.  However, the variations are based upon reads.  For example, if a point guard passes ahead to the 2 guard on the wing, that initiates one option.  If the ball is reversed through the 4, the starts another.  If the point guard reverse spin dribbles, that signals another options.  They run around 27 options, just off of their secondary break.  These are not plays that are called from the sideline and accounts for the majority of what UNC wants to accomplish.  They run their secondary break any time they go from defense to offense, even after scores.

Roy Williams is an x's and o's mastermind.  None of this has ever been written down.  They are all in his head.  He is able to recruit great players because they want to play in a system like this.  But having great players doesn't mean championships.  You need talent to win, but it doesn't mean you are going to win.  He still has to mold those players into his system and one that is based on reads is tougher to get your players to teach rather than an offense based on set plays where they are robots.

+1.

Stone Cold, you may not like the guy, but he can certainly coach.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
If you don't think Roy Williams is a great coach, you don't know a whole lot about college basketball. And, for the record, Roy Williams didn't start his coaching career at Kansas or North Carolina. His first coaching job was at the high school level where he spent 5 years coaching basketball and golf.
Also, prior to his HS coaching, he played for UNC on the freshman team for one year. After that he spent his years sitting in the bleachers watching practice and taking notes on Dean Smith's practices. He VOLUNTEERED to keep stats at home games for the team and also worked Coach Smith's summer camps.
Sounds to me like he definitely put his time in and EARNED a position on staff at UNC...where he then made the most of that opportunity and made a name for himself.

He put his time in and worked his A$$ off like they all do and has become one of the great college coaches not just in the game today, but of all time.
This post should have been on a UNC board.

I kid, I kid.  And I agree with your post.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 08:19:17 PM »
If you can't like Roy Williams I'm not sure you can like any coach.

Stone Cold...you're a tool.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 08:49:18 PM »
Taking us apart in the semis was painful when RW was at Kansas.  Regardless Roy is a great coach.  Before Michigan State took us apart in Greensboro, I was hoping we'd have a shot at Roy for a little revenge.  But Izzo pretty much schooled Crean.

feedback