[Today at 11:28:28 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:43:07 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bubble Watch  (Read 269494 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Bubble Watch
« Reply #1300 on: March 09, 2017, 07:33:09 PM »
I don't think I am so much worried about getting in, it's being in Dayton i want no part of.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1301 on: March 09, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
Lunardi was just on my TV screen giving excuses for why a 15-loss team may make the tourney... "teams now play 31, 32 games before we even get to the conference tourney"... of course, teams CAN'T play 32. SMH, bad news.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1302 on: March 09, 2017, 08:07:00 PM »
Does Xavier/Butler matter to us? Butler winning keeps X behind us, but an X win could help legitimize our wins against them.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1303 on: March 09, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
Does Xavier/Butler matter to us? Butler winning keeps X behind us, but an X win could help legitimize our wins against them.
We want Xavier to win for the reasons cited. they just did.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #1304 on: March 09, 2017, 08:19:06 PM »
X may have just taken our bid.  These people that feel we are safe with everyone else winning are delusional
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #1305 on: March 09, 2017, 08:19:24 PM »
X wins. Don't need them to win another to jump us.

Announcers said Butler has never won a BE tournament game.  Can't believe that. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1306 on: March 09, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »
X may have just taken our bid.  These people that feel we are safe with everyone else winning are delusional

We swept them by an average margin of 15.5 pts.  We have double the number of top 50 wins as they do.  We be fine.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #1307 on: March 09, 2017, 08:23:28 PM »
Ha, you are perpetually worried about our bid.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1308 on: March 09, 2017, 08:24:10 PM »
I am not a fan of the guy who makes our schedule. We really needed that 31st game. Would have had 20 wins and been in a little better position. I don't buy the excuses. A good opponent could have been found.
            ---Al McGuire

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1309 on: March 09, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »

Get a grip. If X just stole a bid it very likely wasn't ours.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #1310 on: March 09, 2017, 08:27:04 PM »

Lunardi just said X is in and will probably jump them to next four byes, same category as MU. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1311 on: March 09, 2017, 08:27:49 PM »

If I were syracuse though, I'd be worried about X winning.  X just likely leap-frogged them. 

X would need to win the BE tournament to leap-frog us.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1312 on: March 09, 2017, 08:30:08 PM »
Lunardi just said X is in and will probably jump them to next four byes, same category as MU.

Got it. Not the same as stealing our bid though.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1313 on: March 09, 2017, 08:31:20 PM »
Rooting for Creighton in this next one.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1314 on: March 09, 2017, 08:32:07 PM »
That is a good data point. Now we need Creighton to edge Providence. Looking for the teams we beat to do well.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1315 on: March 09, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »

Sigh.

X winning is not ideal true. But they are not the ones we need to worry about. Again, making the tournament is not about outrunning the bear. It is about outrunning your slowest friend. The slowest friend we need to beat out is the teams in the First Four Out. As of this morning, that was Illinois State, Kansas State, Iowa, and Illinois. What do three of those teams have in common? They already lost in their conference tournament meaning they can't play themselves in anymore. If Baylor completes the sweep and takes out Kansas State, the entire first four out will be stuck on the wrong side of the bubble. That means that the Next Four Out will be the ones that have to rise up and win enough games to pass Marquette. As of this morning, that group was Houston, California, Georgia, and Clemson. Clemson is already dead. Houston doesn't play in a good enough conference to win their way in without getting an auto-bid. Cal would have to beat Oregon and even then they would likely need to win one more to pass Marquette....which would make them an auto-bid. And Georgia lost to Marquette head to head. They could theoretically pass Marquette but it would be close and that's a huge advantage in our corner.

So again, barring a crap ton of bid thieves.....7 is max possible at this point (and 1 of those 7 assumes MTSU would even get an at large if they lose)....Marquette is still in the tournament.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1316 on: March 09, 2017, 08:33:59 PM »
So if X was one of the last four in, and have moved from that spot...someone has to take their spot..Ugh, this is why I wanted MU to get that #3 seed so badly..matchups were so much better in that half of the bracket. I would have loved their chances to get to saturday night.  :(

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1317 on: March 09, 2017, 08:34:33 PM »
I am not a fan of the guy who makes our schedule. We really needed that 31st game. Would have had 20 wins and been in a little better position. I don't buy the excuses. A good opponent could have been found.

It would have been against a low major that would have hurt our RPI. Total wins no matta.

Besides, you think Illinois is getting in over us and they only have 17 wins.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1318 on: March 09, 2017, 08:34:46 PM »
Sigh.

X winning is not ideal true. But they are not the ones we need to worry about. Again, making the tournament is not about outrunning the bear. It is about outrunning your slowest friend. The slowest friend we need to beat out is the teams in the First Four Out. As of this morning, that was Illinois State, Kansas State, Iowa, and Illinois. What do three of those teams have in common? They already lost in their conference tournament meaning they can't play themselves in anymore. If Baylor completes the sweep and takes out Kansas State, the entire first four out will be stuck on the wrong side of the bubble. That means that the Next Four Out will be the ones that have to rise up and win enough games to pass Marquette. As of this morning, that group was Houston, California, Georgia, and Clemson. Clemson is already dead. Houston doesn't play in a good enough conference to win their way in without getting an auto-bid. Cal would have to beat Oregon and even then they would likely need to win one more to pass Marquette....which would make them an auto-bid. And Georgia lost to Marquette head to head. They could theoretically pass Marquette but it would be close and that's a huge advantage in our corner.

So again, barring a crap ton of bid thieves.....7 is max possible at this point (and 1 of those 7 assumes MTSU would even get an at large if they lose)....Marquette is still in the tournament.
In the meantime we want Creighton to beat Providence.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1319 on: March 09, 2017, 08:36:36 PM »
In the meantime we want Creighton to beat Providence.

Correct.
TAMU

nyg

• All American
« Reply #1320 on: March 09, 2017, 08:37:39 PM »
Got it. Not the same as stealing our bid though.

X loses and they are probably out

Now X is in first byes.  They win again tomorrow, they seal first bye and no Dayton. 

With MU loss and X doing above, puts MU in danger of playing in Dayton, not losing bid. 

Root for Creighton next.  Providence still in first bye right now. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1321 on: March 09, 2017, 08:41:20 PM »

No, you are delusional. Please list off the 68 teams that will make it instead. K thanks.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1322 on: March 09, 2017, 08:43:44 PM »
For those who think we still won't make it, care to make a bet?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1323 on: March 09, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »
No, you are delusional. Please list off the 68 teams that will make it instead. K thanks.

Jamil, serious question, if that win moved Xavier off the "last four in" and in Dayton...someone needs to slip down and replace them..What if that is MU?? How close is MU to falling into Dayton, ASSUMING they aren't already there??

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1324 on: March 09, 2017, 08:46:49 PM »
For those who think we still won't make it, care to make a bet?
After this Xavier win I am in the make it camp.
            ---Al McGuire