[Today at 04:38:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bubble Watch  (Read 269389 times)

GoldenDieners32

• All American
Re: Bubble Watch
« Reply #1050 on: March 05, 2017, 09:56:19 AM »
SI.com moved MU to a lock along with Creighton, Nova, and Butler.
hope we are a 11 seed

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1051 on: March 05, 2017, 10:05:22 AM »
hope we are a 11 seed

Lunardi has us as an 11 versus Minnesota. Would be an excellent matchup for us. Arizona in round 2....not so much.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #1052 on: March 05, 2017, 10:08:29 AM »
Lunardi has us as an 11 versus Minnesota. Would be an excellent matchup for us. Arizona in round 2....not so much.
that means he has zona as a 4?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1053 on: March 05, 2017, 10:12:16 AM »
that means he has zona as a 4?

A 3. 4s play 5/12 winner.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #1054 on: March 05, 2017, 10:22:07 AM »
#8 seed in USA Today...going up against Buzz and co.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: March 05, 2017, 10:30:19 AM »
Lunardi gave MU no love for its win yesterday ... We are just one spot away from playing in Dayton according to the latest Bracketology=.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1056 on: March 05, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »
There's going to be a lot of bracketology click baiting going on this week.  So lots of crazy stuff will be written.  Stuff like 'We just heard that MU beat Dayton in the secret scrimmage so we've moved them from the Last 4 In group to the very last Last 4 Byes'

Here's probably more what the reality is in the committee room.  Seton Hall and MU have something like a 10 and bye 11 seed already positioned for them.  Winner on Thursday gets the 10. Done, unless something crazy happens (like winning the BEast) and need to re-look.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1057 on: March 05, 2017, 11:01:16 AM »
There's going to be a lot of bracketology click baiting going on this week.  So lots of crazy stuff will be written.  Stuff like 'We just heard that MU beat Dayton in the secret scrimmage so we've moved them from the Last 4 In group to the very last Last 4 Byes'

Where is NateDogg?

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #1058 on: March 05, 2017, 12:03:16 PM »

Here's probably more what the reality is in the committee room.  Seton Hall and MU have something like a 10 and bye 11 seed already positioned for them.  Winner on Thursday gets the 10. Done, unless something crazy happens (like winning the BEast) and need to re-look.
i kind of want to be an 11 seed but it doesn't matter let's just win games and get to arizona

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1059 on: March 05, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »
i kind of want to be an 11 seed but it doesn't matter let's just win games and get to arizona

As a kid I always paid a ton of attention to who my hockey and baseball teams would play in tournaments, playoffs, etc. I always knew who was good and who wasn't, paid much more attention that your average 10-17 year old. As a kid my hockey coaches would literally ask me for scouting reports. Probably where I get my obsession with the bubble stuff. Been that way since I was little.

But my old man would always tell me, "Son, in order to be the best, you gotta beat the best." While we'd all love to avoid playing a 1 or a 2 in the round of 32, it's more than likely we will do just that should we get through the opening round. And we can beat those teams. Things open up a bit after that.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: March 05, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »
As a kid I always paid a ton of attention to who my hockey and baseball teams would play in tournaments, playoffs, etc. I always knew who was good and who wasn't, paid much more attention that your average 10-17 year old. As a kid my hockey coaches would literally ask me for scouting reports. Probably where I get my obsession with the bubble stuff. Been that way since I was little.

But my old man would always tell me, "Son, in order to be the best, you gotta beat the best." While we'd all love to avoid playing a 1 or a 2 in the round of 32, it's more than likely we will do just that should we get through the opening round. And we can beat those teams. Things open up a bit after that.
your right but could be hang won't a Kansas, unc, or a gonzaga? I think we could against the zags but I mean I believe in the boys

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: March 05, 2017, 12:22:20 PM »

Each of the last two years, the basketball team I coach lost a coin flip to be No. 1 seed in our tournament. Each time, I fretted a little about having to play a much tougher semifinal opponent, and each time I was disappointed we wouldn't get to host the title game. But each time, we beat the semifinal opponent, and each time we went on to win the championship on the road. And each time, I'm convinced having to play the tougher semifinal opponent got us better prepared for the championship game.

It's fun to speculate, but all's we can do is beat the team in front of us.

As an aside ...

I appreciate the contributions of you, TAMU and others who are really into bracketology and who have a good fix on how the process works. Very helpful. Keep 'em coming!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1062 on: March 05, 2017, 03:08:14 PM »
Illinois State getting drubbed by Wichita. I kinda doubt they make it, and if they do, definitely First Four. I think Vandy is in that group too.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1063 on: March 05, 2017, 03:12:50 PM »
Illinois State getting drubbed by Wichita. I kinda doubt they make it, and if they do, definitely First Four. I think Vandy is in that group too.

My thought is that they do not pass the eye test.  Granted this is one game, but they do not look like a tournament team today.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1064 on: March 05, 2017, 03:15:29 PM »
My thought is that they do not pass the eye test.  Granted this is one game, but they do not look like a tournament team today.

They haven't for awhile. Made a habit of winning one possession games against bad teams the last month, with a 40 point pounding from Wichita mixed in.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: March 05, 2017, 05:49:22 PM »
Gotta think that Illinois State is done after today.  Manhandled in MVC Championship Game.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: March 05, 2017, 05:59:09 PM »
Monmouth just lost. Can't imagine them getting an at large, but worth noting.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1067 on: March 05, 2017, 08:07:53 PM »
Monmouth just lost. Can't imagine them getting an at large, but worth noting.

They were always a long shot. I think if any of the one bid league teams sneak at large it will be Middle Tennessee State or Nevada.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #1068 on: March 05, 2017, 10:39:51 PM »
I appreciate the contributions of you, TAMU and others who are really into bracketology and who have a good fix on how the process works. Very helpful. Keep 'em coming!

I'll say this...I agree that JJJJ, you have provided a lot of substance to Scoop. But do you think razzing Marquette Fan in NY in your signature may be played out?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:00:22 PM by MUBigDance »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1069 on: March 06, 2017, 01:04:42 AM »
Based on everything I've read here and elsewhere, I'm at least 95% confident that we're in and very much deservedly so.

However ...

I can't remember which year it was, but one year when I lived in Minny, the Gophers were so sure they were getting into the tourney that they actually had a big party. Clem Haskins and most players were there, the media was invited, select season-ticket holders, the cheerleaders, etc. It was a real shindig.

And then the Gophers didn't get a bid. The room went from Party Central to Funeral City. Clem was outraged, but he had to wear it. A pretty embarrassing day in Gophers sports history.

So while I'm very confident, I don't think I'll hold a party at my house on Selection Sunday. It would be bad mojo!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1070 on: March 06, 2017, 01:12:30 AM »
Based on everything I've read here and elsewhere, I'm at least 95% confident that we're in and very much deservedly so.

However ...

I can't remember which year it was, but one year when I lived in Minny, the Gophers were so sure they were getting into the tourney that they actually had a big party. Clem Haskins and most players were there, the media was invited, select season-ticket holders, the cheerleaders, etc. It was a real shindig.

And then the Gophers didn't get a bid. The room went from Party Central to Funeral City. Clem was outraged, but he had to wear it. A pretty embarrassing day in Gophers sports history.

So while I'm very confident, I don't think I'll hold a party at my house on Selection Sunday. It would be bad mojo!

I think the two craziest ones:

2004, 25-3 Utah State ranked 22nd in the Nation
2014, 23/25th ranked SMU

I just don't see how you can leave teams out that the nation's experts think are top 25 teams...moral of the story, until your name is called you aren't in.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: March 06, 2017, 02:11:59 AM »

2014, 23/25th ranked SMU

I just don't see how you can leave teams out that the nation's experts think are top 25 teams...moral of the story, until your name is called you aren't in.
That'll occasionally happen in strong bubble years where a team doesn't play a strong conference season. It was one of my main concerns going into the New Big East. Hilariously 2/3 teams I thought would have to carry the conference have mostly laid an egg so far.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1072 on: March 06, 2017, 07:01:38 AM »

2014, 23/25th ranked SMU

I think it's a good reminder that the top-25 is really meaningless. That Utah State team hardly played anyone. Lost to Utah and beat BYU in non-conference, split with conference champion Pacific. One of the first good examples of "you've got to play someone". For SMU, they treated the whole AAC like crap that year. SMU didn't have any good non-conference wins (a bad Texas A&M was their best win). When they announced 29-5 Louisville, who Pomeroy had as the #1 team in the country, as a 4-seed, the writing was on the wall. As good as the top of that league was (Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, and NC UConn) there was too much crap at the bottom.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1073 on: March 06, 2017, 07:35:17 AM »
I'll say this...I agree that JJJJ, you have provided a lot of substance to Scoop. But do you think razzing Marquette Fan in NY in your signature may be played out?

Some people are too damn sensitive.

But sure, I will oblige. I'll find another ridiculous comment to poke fun at for the next several weeks. Shouldn't be too hard.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:44:24 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: March 06, 2017, 08:46:28 AM »

2014, 23/25th ranked SMU

Yep! I only count the chickens I have. Saw the following in another thread:

Team   Top 50 Wins   Top 50 Losses   
Villanova   10   3   
Florida St.   10   4   
North Carolina   10   4   
Butler   10   4   
Duke   10   6   
Baylor   9   4   
Kansas   8   2   
Kentucky   7   5   
Minnesota   7   6   
Marquette   7   6   
Louisville   7   7

If Gonzaga does not win their tourney, could they be out?

feedback