'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bubble Watch  (Read 269504 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Bubble Watch
« Reply #450 on: February 21, 2017, 05:23:07 PM »
Ehh. Not so sure about that (its 13, BTW). Pitt is a bit of stretch, but the rest of them are legit bubble teams.  The ACC will probably get 11 or 12 in this year.  MU fans should be rooting strongly against Wake, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Syracuse. 

I do agree that they definitely overweight RPI in the bubble watch analysis.

Thanks for the correction.  My opinion is that Pitt, Clemson Syracuse are out.  Syracuse has a difficult enough remaining schedule that if they won the rest of their conference games they could steal a bit, but that is very unlikely. 

None of those 3 should be on the bubble watch.  Georgia Tech is an interesting one.  They are similar to us, where they can get in if they win 2 or 3 of their remaining games.  3 and they are in, 2 and they are sweating it out.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #451 on: February 21, 2017, 06:42:56 PM »
Ehh. Not so sure about that (its 13, BTW). Pitt is a bit of stretch, but the rest of them are legit bubble teams.  The ACC will probably get 11 or 12 in this year.  MU fans should be rooting strongly against Wake, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Syracuse. 

I do agree that they definitely overweight RPI in the bubble watch analysis.

Probably get 11 or 12? That seems ridiculous.

The Big East got 11 bids in only 1 year, and all 11 of those teams went 9-9 or better in conference play. All other years, they had less than 10 bids...

Lunardi has the ACC with 10; Big 12/Big 10 with 7; Big East with 6; Pac 12 w/ 5, and SEC w/ only 4. The American/WCC/A10 are each getting 2, and that won't change...

So in your opinion, the ACC is going to steal a bid from who?

Louisville, UNC, Duke, FSU, Notre Dame are all locks, and Virginia, Miami, and Va Tech are in barring a collapse. So that's an automatic 8.

Syracuse, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Clemson and Pittsburgh are the final 5. You really think a minimum of 3 of those teams will get in, and possibly 4? They can't ALL do well in the ACC tournament.

I think Syracuse will be #9. Then I can see 1 of Wake or Ga Tech getting the 10th bid, depending on who has the better finish.

Clemson will likely lose tonight & vs. FSU to get to 12 regular season losses.. Don't know if anyone's ever been let in the tournament with 12 conference losses.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #452 on: February 21, 2017, 06:45:27 PM »
Probably get 11 or 12? That seems ridiculous.

The Big East got 11 bids in only 1 year, and all 11 of those teams went 9-9 or better in conference play. All other years, they had less than 10 bids...

Lunardi has the ACC with 10; Big 12/Big 10 with 7; Big East with 6; Pac 12 w/ 5, and SEC w/ only 4. The American/WCC/A10 are each getting 2, and that won't change...

So in your opinion, the ACC is going to steal a bid from who?

Louisville, UNC, Duke, FSU, Notre Dame are all locks, and Virginia, Miami, and Va Tech are in barring a collapse. So that's an automatic 8.

Syracuse, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Clemson and Pittsburgh are the final 5. You really think a minimum of 3 of those teams will get in, and possibly 4? They can't ALL do well in the ACC tournament.

I think Syracuse will be #9. Then I can see 1 of Wake or Ga Tech getting the 10th bid, depending on who has the better finish.

Clemson will likely lose tonight & vs. FSU to get to 12 regular season losses.. Don't know if anyone's ever been let in the tournament with 12 conference losses.

Damn, people take things literally sometimes. Maybe I should have said 10-12. Wouldn't at all be shocked to see any one of those numbers. No way a 9-9 ACC doesn't make it, and I guarantee you at least one 8-10 team will.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #453 on: February 21, 2017, 06:57:26 PM »
Damn, people take things literally sometimes. Maybe I should have said 10-12. Wouldn't at all be shocked to see any one of those numbers. No way a 9-9 ACC doesn't make it, and I guarantee you at least one 8-10 team will.

Should I take those numbers literally?

The difference between 10 and 12 teams is significant. No one said that 9-9 would not make the tournament. That'd be a shoe-in.

But do the math. Who actually gets to 8-10?

Wake is 6-9, and finishes with Pitt, Louisville and Va Tech.. They aren't getting 8.

Ga Tech is at 7-7. They finish with NC St, ND, Pitt, Syracuse. They'll likely be 9-9. If they are only 8-10, that means they lost 3 straight entering the ACC tournament... two of which were against bubble or non-tourny teams.. That won't get you in.

Clemson would have to win out to get there. That aint happening.

Like I said - 10 is likely their ceiling, unless one of the outsiders runs the table and wins the conference tournament.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #454 on: February 21, 2017, 08:04:14 PM »
Clemson loses another heartbreaker

Good for us tho
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #455 on: February 21, 2017, 08:04:42 PM »
Va Tech just pulled one out against Clemson. Hit a 3 with 3.4 seconds to win by 1.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #456 on: February 21, 2017, 08:06:19 PM »
Should I take those numbers literally?

The difference between 10 and 12 teams is significant. No one said that 9-9 would not make the tournament. That'd be a shoe-in.

But do the math. Who actually gets to 8-10?

Wake is 6-9, and finishes with Pitt, Louisville and Va Tech.. They aren't getting 8.

Ga Tech is at 7-7. They finish with NC St, ND, Pitt, Syracuse. They'll likely be 9-9. If they are only 8-10, that means they lost 3 straight entering the ACC tournament... two of which were against bubble or non-tourny teams.. That won't get you in.

Clemson would have to win out to get there. That aint happening.

Like I said - 10 is likely their ceiling, unless one of the outsiders runs the table and wins the conference tournament.

Again, maybe I should have said 10-12. I think 11 is a real possibility. Lunardi said as much earlier today on ESPN.

Clemson likely out now with a loss ANOTHER one posession loss.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #457 on: February 21, 2017, 08:08:26 PM »
CBS not included in that? Odd.

Palm is going senile. He has Alabama in, we have better RPI, SOS, Pomeroy, and Sagarin numbers. We have three wins better than their best win, their worst loss is worse than ours, and their second and third best wins are also teams we beat.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #458 on: February 21, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »
They just said this on the St. Johns telecast ...

Lowest ever RPI to get an at-large bid ... Syracuse last year with an RPI of 71 (10 seed).

They made the final four.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #459 on: February 21, 2017, 09:15:37 PM »
NC State with the win at Georgia Tech

Rough night for the ACC Bubble

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #460 on: February 21, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »
Ga Tech loses to Nc State.

Northwestern loses to Illinois perhaps giving Illinois a tiny window and pushing NW closer to the bubble.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #461 on: February 21, 2017, 09:22:58 PM »
NC State with the win at Georgia Tech

Rough night for the ACC Bubble

That's a killer loss. NCST is outside the top 100 IIRC
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #462 on: February 21, 2017, 09:34:53 PM »
Va Tech just pulled one out against Clemson. Hit a 3 with 3.4 seconds to win by 1.

Tech has pulled three miracles this season. Enough to get Buzz dancing. And enough to get the bayou Bengals interested and Buzz to cash in. The carousel keeps spinning.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #463 on: February 21, 2017, 09:38:36 PM »
Tech has pulled three miracles this season. Enough to get Buzz dancing. And enough to get the bayou Bengals interested and Buzz to cash in. The carousel keeps spinning.

Buzz to Louisville after Slick Rick retires.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #464 on: February 21, 2017, 10:15:46 PM »
Really good bubble night for us. Especially if Indiana loses to Iowa here.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #465 on: February 21, 2017, 10:21:15 PM »

I have exactly zero interest in "Buzz to wherever" rumors.  Ditto for "when will Indiana can Cream?"

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #466 on: February 21, 2017, 10:40:17 PM »
I have exactly zero interest in "Buzz to wherever" rumors.  Ditto for "when will Indiana can Cream?"

You took the time to post this to let the community know you have no time for this?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #467 on: February 21, 2017, 10:44:36 PM »

I4 goes down to Iowa in OT.

Ole Miss keeps their hopes alive with an OT win over MSST.

South Carolina is probably a lock but slips closer to the bubble after losing to Florida.

Penn State is official DOA after losing to Purdue

Wichita State slaughters Evansville. Gonna be pulling hard for them in the MVC tourney.

Rhode Island still has life after beating La Salle

Auburn keeps its tiny hopes alive beating LSU

Clemson loses a heartbreaker to VT (lost on a 3 pointer with 3 seconds left)

Monmouth has a distant at large hope creaming Fairfield on the road

GT loses to a BAD NC State team....in Atlanta. Might be cooked.

Definitely a good bubble night. The likely contenders lost and only the dreamers won.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #468 on: February 21, 2017, 11:07:41 PM »

Indiana has lost 5 in a row, 7 of 8 and is in 13th place in the BIG. They are not a bubble team no matter what morons like Palm and Lunardi say.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #469 on: February 22, 2017, 08:20:37 AM »
Indiana has lost 5 in a row, 7 of 8 and is in 13th place in the BIG. They are not a bubble team no matter what morons like Palm and Lunardi say.

And mofo T-Cubed's tush is gettin' warmer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #470 on: February 22, 2017, 08:36:50 AM »

And mofo T-Cubed's tush is gettin' warmer, hey?

Tommy 2 NC State.

Tom's ego is too big to wait around until he's fired.  He'll leave before it gets to that point.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #471 on: February 22, 2017, 09:04:36 AM »
Tommy 2 NC State.

Tom's ego is too big to wait around until he's fired.  He'll leave before it gets to that point.
Makes a lot of sense.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #472 on: February 22, 2017, 09:07:27 AM »
Makes a lot of sense.

Yep, TC is the kind of "established coach" a lot of people want. Including a lot of Scoopers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #473 on: February 22, 2017, 09:08:57 AM »

fjm

• All American
« Reply #474 on: February 22, 2017, 09:20:36 AM »

feedback