[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bubble Watch  (Read 269369 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Bubble Watch
« Reply #275 on: February 15, 2017, 10:17:41 PM »
Indiana lost a heartbreaker at Minnesota. That's a big one. IU is in deep trouble.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2017, 06:15:53 AM »
Being that single, solitary one in DePaul's column should be a two ton weight around their neck.
and now PC over X.  Hurts us.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #277 on: February 16, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »
and now PC over X.  Hurts us.

In short term, yes. But long term, could be great.

PC, an average squad but still considered on the bubble for some, has beaten two surefire NCAA teams in the Dunk. I think Xavier is going to finish 10-8 at best. If they "stumble" to that record and PC "surges" at the end to finish 9-9, then an MU win in the Dunk could very well be perceived in a better light than one win against X (a sweep against X, even without 45% of their scoring, would be held in higher esteem).

muguru

• All American
« Reply #278 on: February 16, 2017, 09:14:15 AM »
Plus PC could move into top 50 RPI by seasons end. Should MU win there, that would add another top 50 win. Same with Georgia..they are on the cusp(53) as well and perhaps even Vandy could get there yet.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2017, 09:16:27 AM »
Plus PC could move into top 50 RPI by seasons end. Should MU win there, that would add another top 50 win. Same with Georgia..they are on the cusp(53) as well and perhaps even Vandy could get there yet.

Good point. That would be 3 top 50 road wins if we could pull it off. I don't know if many bubble teams have 3 top 50 wins, much less on the road.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #280 on: February 16, 2017, 09:20:19 AM »
Good point. That would be 3 top 50 road wins if we could pull it off. I don't know if many bubble teams have 3 top 50 wins, much less on the road.

If those things happen..plus beat X and Creighton at home plus a possible X road Victory..could have MU with 7-9 top 50 RPI wins by Conf tourney. A huge task yes..but doable.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #281 on: February 16, 2017, 09:36:54 AM »
Last team in Lunardi's bracket today.

It's been a very frustrating couple of weeks, but win at home Saturday and we are in pretty good shape.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #282 on: February 16, 2017, 09:39:57 AM »

It's been a very frustrating couple of weeks, but win at home Saturday and we are in pretty good shape.

Color me shocked he has Illinois State in.  Pretty much said on Twitter the other day that they have very little chance of making it as an at large.  Too bad they didn't drop that game to Missouri State last night.  Watched the last couple minutes, and not gonna lie, they looked pretty terrible.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #283 on: February 16, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »
Color me shocked he has Illinois State in.  Pretty much said on Twitter the other day that they have very little chance of making it as an at large.  Too bad they didn't drop that game to Missouri State last night.  Watched the last couple minutes, and not gonna lie, they looked pretty terrible.

I think his Illinois state opinion is mostly because they have no way to improve their resume. They may be in now, but their computer numbers will plummet with any loss.

Marquette and Illinois state are the last two teams in...but Marquette has 5 games left. 4 opportunities for a good win and only one opportunity at a bad loss.

Illinois State has no opportunities for a good win unless they meet WSU in the MVC tourney. No chance to improve their profile from here, really.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2017, 10:03:56 AM »
I think his Illinois state opinion is mostly because they have no way to improve their resume. They may be in now, but their computer numbers will plummet with any loss.

Marquette and Illinois state are the last two teams in...but Marquette has 5 games left. 4 opportunities for a good win and only one opportunity at a bad loss.

Illinois State has no opportunities for a good win unless they meet WSU in the MVC tourney. No chance to improve their profile from here, really.

True.  And frankly, there just aren't very many mid majors that have the resume to steal a bid.  Quickly going though the non P6 conferences, you have:

AAC
Locks: SMU, Cinci
Back-end Bubble: Houston

A10:
Bubble: VCU, Dayton (both are probably safe, barring collapses down the stretch)

CUSA:
Backend Bubble: Middle Tennessee

MVC:
Bubble: Wichita State (should be safe), Illinois State

MWC:
Back-end Bubble: Nevada

WCC:
Locks: Gonzaga, St. Marys

MAC:
Back-end Bubble: Akron

Sunbelt:
Back-end Bubble: UT Arlington

That is literally it.  And Arlington, Akron, Nevada, Middle Tennessee and Houston are real reaches. They likely have to win their conference tourneys to get in, but we should be rooting for them to (sans Houston), just in case.  There just aren't going to be very many bid stealers this year, hence you'll probably see a record number of sub .500 P6 conference teams make the dance.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:05:31 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #285 on: February 16, 2017, 11:29:38 AM »

Not terrible considering we're on the fourth of a six day stretch where literally every other bubble team can improve their standing at the expense of MU having a bye week.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #286 on: February 16, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »
True.  And frankly, there just aren't very many mid majors that have the resume to steal a bid.  Quickly going though the non P6 conferences, you have:

AAC
Locks: SMU, Cinci
Back-end Bubble: Houston

A10:
Bubble: VCU, Dayton (both are probably safe, barring collapses down the stretch)

CUSA:
Backend Bubble: Middle Tennessee

MVC:
Bubble: Wichita State (should be safe), Illinois State

MWC:
Back-end Bubble: Nevada

WCC:
Locks: Gonzaga, St. Marys

MAC:
Back-end Bubble: Akron

Sunbelt:
Back-end Bubble: UT Arlington

At the risk of sounding stupid ... what's a back-end bubble?

Doesn't have anything to do with J-Lo, does it?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #287 on: February 16, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »
At the risk of sounding stupid ... what's a back-end bubble?

Doesn't have anything to do with J-Lo, does it?

Lol, was just referring to a team that is a borderline bubble team, ie: a long shot without winning their conference tourney.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #288 on: February 16, 2017, 02:10:42 PM »
Bubble games tonight (2/16)

Wisconsin @ Michigan

Utah @ Oregon

Texas A&M @ Vanderbilt

The last two are more fringe bubble games. Need to win to even get near the bubble. But still, figured I'd throw them on here.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #289 on: February 16, 2017, 02:19:37 PM »

Wisconsin @ Michigan

Utah @ Oregon

Texas A&M @ Vanderbilt

The last two are more fringe bubble games. Need to win to even get near the bubble. But still, figured I'd throw them on here.

Putting aside the badgers being the badgers, do you think we prefer UW or Michigan to win? I'd go UW.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #290 on: February 16, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »
Putting aside the badgers being the badgers, do you think we prefer UW or Michigan to win? I'd go UW.

UW for sure.

But i still don't know how I feel about cheering for them. And Koenig is out tonight.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #291 on: February 16, 2017, 03:14:22 PM »
If we get in we get blown away anyway, what's the point?   Better not get humiliated, and build a competitive team, "at the highest level".

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #292 on: February 16, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »
If we get in we get blown away anyway, what's the point?   Better not get humiliated, and build a competitive team, "at the highest level".

keep your nonsense in your thread.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #293 on: February 16, 2017, 03:36:11 PM »

Wisconsin @ Michigan

Utah @ Oregon

Texas A&M @ Vanderbilt

I think we want Vandy to win. Are they close to the Top 50 category?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #294 on: February 16, 2017, 03:46:12 PM »

I think we do too, and they are currently 62

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #295 on: February 16, 2017, 03:48:54 PM »

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #296 on: February 16, 2017, 04:31:19 PM »

This. Vandy isn't going dancing, so we need them to win as much as possible the rest of the way to move into the top 50 RPI category and give MU another top 50 win. Same with Georgia, they are 53...so they are right on the cusp.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2017, 05:14:13 PM »
This. Vandy isn't going dancing, so we need them to win as much as possible the rest of the way to move into the top 50 RPI category and give MU another top 50 win. Same with Georgia, they are 53...so they are right on the cusp.

That may be all well and good but we really need to stop with the hook shots, shoot more 3's, play more zone and not try and run with the big dogs.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #298 on: February 16, 2017, 07:33:03 PM »
Don't like the guy at all but you can tell how important Koenig is to Wisconsin. They look listless offensively without him

muguru

• All American
« Reply #299 on: February 16, 2017, 08:26:03 PM »
Don't like the guy at all but you can tell how important Koenig is to Wisconsin. They look listless offensively without him

Honestly, they just aren't that good. Their record was built by playing NOBODY in the BIG and now that teams have figured out the key is to double Happ..they are in trouble.

feedback