[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Non Conference Results  (Read 112061 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Big East Non Conference Results
« Reply #600 on: December 22, 2018, 09:59:16 PM »
Seton Hall has proven they are more than a middle of the pack Big East team . They have put many high quality wins on the board . McKnight was ripped by some people and I think he has proven he is a bona fide  Big East level starter.

Who ripped him?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #601 on: December 22, 2018, 10:15:03 PM »
Who ripped him?

Acknowledging that he was a high usage, low efficiency player at a bad low major I'm sure was "ripping him" even though it was just reality.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #602 on: December 22, 2018, 10:30:23 PM »
The Johnnies are now 12-0 after routing Sacred Heart at home. Their final non conference game will be at Duke later in the season.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

nyg

• All American
« Reply #603 on: December 23, 2018, 06:39:06 AM »
The Johnnies are now 12-0 after routing Sacred Heart at home. Their final non conference game will be at Duke later in the season.

SJU has only one, if that, quality win over VCU.  The rest of their schedule has been a slew of major cupcakes and thats why they are not ranked.

Yesterday against the mighty Sacred Heart, they got out rebounded 40-29.  Their biggest man, Clarke, is 6ft 7 and he likes to stay outside the lane and shoot threes.  Lets see how they do in an away game against Seton Hall next week.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #604 on: December 23, 2018, 08:08:00 AM »
Good for St. John's.    Herman, the voters look at their schedule and shrug.    OOC is a joke and they, like MU during Henry's season, may find that 20 wins with that schedule will not translate to a tournament bid.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #605 on: December 23, 2018, 09:40:42 AM »
Good for St. John's.    Herman, the voters look at their schedule and shrug.    OOC is a joke and they, like MU during Henry's season, may find that 20 wins with that schedule will not translate to a tournament bid.   

St. John's does not look good. It wouldn't surprise me if they finished bottom three and behind DePaul.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #606 on: December 23, 2018, 04:09:26 PM »
I think it is ok that The Johnnies followed the schedule strategy of Henry’s season . It is important for their program for the fans and the team to be having fun , which is the case right now. They have a lot of conference games at Carnesecca Arena so that positive energy should continue. I guess the question is can they 10 games in conference plus a BET.
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #607 on: December 23, 2018, 04:40:39 PM »
So in the last 24 hours....
Providence wins at Texas
Seton Hall wins at Maryland
Marquette beats #14 Buffalo
Villanova bombs UConn at MSG
DePaul craps it pants in the final 2 minutes  versus Boston College. Thanks, DePaul.

DePaul, in fairness, got hosed on that Strus foul in the last minute.  Looked like a clean block on replay.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #608 on: December 23, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »
Big East Rated 3rd  Record 91-30
http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html
            ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #609 on: December 23, 2018, 10:04:42 PM »

The ACC is the 5th best conference? #Fake News

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #610 on: December 23, 2018, 10:53:18 PM »

And this is why RPI is a dead metric.
TAMU

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #611 on: December 23, 2018, 11:41:44 PM »

In that rating system the ACC has 6 teams ranked 90th or worse.  Big East has 3.  That’s what is pulling it down.  The ACC will have a tough time being the best conference as will other mega conferences because their cream of the crop is pulled down by some bad teams, too.

Depends how you judge a conference....only the top or the entire thing.

Sagarin has ACC 3rd, Big East 5th.  That feels more right to me. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #612 on: December 24, 2018, 07:52:20 AM »
St. John's does not look good. It wouldn't surprise me if they finished bottom three and behind DePaul.

Dumb
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #613 on: December 24, 2018, 09:40:17 AM »
Dumb

Based on this analysis, I'm gonna assume Brew is right and adjust my expectations for SJU accordingly.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #614 on: December 24, 2018, 09:47:32 AM »
I reject the idea that "we have no idea" about St. John's. We know plenty.

Small - especially up front (won't OR, but have been solid with blocking out and limiting second chances of others thus far -- their defensive OR% will trend in a negative way as the season progresses); lack depth, LJF is good.

Ponds can be a game changer... but the main thing for me re: StJ is they need to shoot the ball well. Their offense carries them and there will be night's they get beat up pretty bad because they're not hitting shots. There may be a couple of night's where they look like world-beaters as well. (We've been there).

Like years past, they're an interesting team, but I don't think they can be a great team this season.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #615 on: December 24, 2018, 10:42:33 AM »

I would also add they turn people over a lot and don't turn it over themselves.  Scares me at MSG the way we handle the ball at times.

oops:  looks like we play at Carnesecca for that game.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #616 on: December 24, 2018, 10:43:26 AM »

Small - especially up front (won't OR, but have been solid with blocking out and limiting second chances of others thus far -- their defensive OR% will trend in a negative way as the season progresses); lack depth, LJF is good.

Ponds can be a game changer... but the main thing for me re: StJ is they need to shoot the ball well. Their offense carries them and there will be night's they get beat up pretty bad because they're not hitting shots. There may be a couple of night's where they look like world-beaters as well. (We've been there).

Like years past, they're an interesting team, but I don't think they can be a great team this season.

Agreed. Ponds & Heron will win them some games, but there are some serious question marks as well.

Another problem for the Johnnies is the Big East being down. Between their soft non-con and a down Big East, they probably need to win 23-24 games to get an at-large bid. That likely means at least 11-7 in league play just to be on the bubble.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #617 on: December 24, 2018, 03:10:31 PM »
Agreed. Ponds & Heron will win them some games, but there are some serious question marks as well.

Another problem for the Johnnies is the Big East being down. Between their soft non-con and a down Big East, they probably need to win 23-24 games to get an at-large bid. That likely means at least 11-7 in league play just to be on the bubble.

Normally I'd agree but check the bubble resumes this year. A lot of bad out of conference performances. Lunardi has UCF, USF, Utah State, Minnesota, Ole Miss all in as of today. Some really poor resumes are going to get in.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #618 on: December 24, 2018, 09:42:39 PM »
I guess we will see.  I think basketball comes sown to matchups imo.  Wben sju rolls out ponds, heron, simon , figueroa and clark.  I think those guys are gonna win there maychups by a 3-2 or 4-1 margin most nights.  5 high high major players, recall clark was at mich state and simon at arizona both big time recruits n old men now

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #619 on: December 24, 2018, 10:39:31 PM »
MSK,  you seem like a big St. John fan.  Are you as active on their board?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #620 on: December 24, 2018, 11:44:37 PM »
I guess we will see.  I think basketball comes sown to matchups imo.  Wben sju rolls out ponds, heron, simon , figueroa and clark.  I think those guys are gonna win there maychups by a 3-2 or 4-1 margin most nights.  5 high high major players, recall clark was at mich state and simon at arizona both big time recruits n old men now

Actually Clark was a pretty meh recruit by Michigan State standards. 3-star ranked in the high 100s or low 200s by most services.

I agree with your general premise, they have 5 very talented players on their roster. I'm just not sure how those 5 pieces fit together. If Mullin can figure it out, they could challenge for the Big East crown.
TAMU

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #621 on: December 25, 2018, 01:23:47 AM »
MSK,  you seem like a big St. John fan.  Are you as active on their board?

Not at all.  But they are very talented and we have posters that say they are no good and their schedule proves it. 
Huh?!?
They undressed a few times so i would think they would garner more respect from MU as similar to us they have some transfers are no longer one of the youngest teams in the league.

Marquetteauburn

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #622 on: December 25, 2018, 02:19:39 AM »
Acknowledging that he was a high usage, low efficiency player at a bad low major I'm sure was "ripping him" even though it was just reality.

agreed, and I said  that could be directed at me in response to the Value Add projections - which had him low. All I pointed out at the time is that the projections simply say "here is how valuable he was last year, and typically a rising senior/junior/sophomore at that VAlue Add moves up this much. I do adjust if a player is drawing NBA attention,but if I tried eyeballing and subjectively adjusting players it would just be random on who I happened to watch and what I believed. Glad he is doing great though in a year that the Big East is a little down due to all the talent that left.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #623 on: December 25, 2018, 05:14:50 AM »
Not at all.  But they are very talented and we have posters that say they are no good and their schedule proves it. 
Huh?!?
They undressed a few times so i would think they would garner more respect from MU as similar to us they have some transfers are no longer one of the youngest teams in the league.

I said they look like a paper tiger and feel that's an easily defensible position. Their advanced ratings have dropped continuously and they've struggled against bad teams. That's because for the most part, they've only played bad teams. If they are narrowly beating teams in the 75-200 range, that would indicate they are barely better than teams in the 75-200 range.

If they're actually that good, they need to beat someone to prove it. If they start 2-0 in Big East play, then maybe they're as good as their results.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #624 on: December 25, 2018, 09:04:57 AM »
Huh?!?

Gotcha.  I agree, they are good.  I look forward, however, to going to their place and getting a W to establish the Big East pecking order immediately and getting our first road win out of the way.

feedback