[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Non Conference Results  (Read 112058 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Big East Non Conference Results
« Reply #375 on: December 06, 2018, 08:49:36 PM »
Difference with this new conference is we need all the teams to win as much as we can as this conference is small and not fully secured or established yet.

Nope.  The reason that there are no hated teams in the Beast is that there are no hated coaches in the Beast (although if CU was paying players that would quickly change).  Even coaches that have had success (Wright, Mack) I have nothing but respect for.  It would take an awful lot for anyone to rise to the level of Slick Rick, Huggy Bear, Boeheim, or Cronin.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #376 on: December 06, 2018, 09:37:03 PM »
Always thought Mack was slimey.  His handling of "zip 'em up" was despicable.  Big time whiner on the bench.  Now that he's gone I can go back to liking Xavier, I hope.

Creighton's fans have always annoyed me.  Same with Butler.  I don't like St. John's style of play.  DePaul is DePaul.  Never really liked Providence.  Seton Hall and Willard always seemed like punks to me.  Georgetown is just boring.

No hate for anyone on the level of a Louisville, but the only team I really enjoy outside of MU is Nova.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #377 on: December 06, 2018, 09:39:24 PM »
This is the 6th year of the "New Big East". In year one (IIRC) we weren't in the top 5, this year we check in at #5. I'm not exactly sure where Pomeroy had us the other 4 years, maybe a 2nd, two 3rds and a 4th? To say that only UW fans and chicken little MU fans (and zero "experts) would rank the conference outside the top 3 is inaccurate. The ACC is head and shoulders above us and the Big 12 is clearly #2. Whether we've been 3 or 4 depends on where you put the Big 10.

If you're not concerned with the conference's trajectory, though, I think you're dead wrong. Villanova's amazing run has kept the conference at #3 or #4 because in the final Pomeroy rankings they've been rated 11,5,1,2, and 1. Meanwhile no other Big East team has finished in the top 13 - ever. Only Xavier (#14 in2016 and #15 last year,) Creighton (#17 in 2014) and Butler (#20 in 2015) have cracked the top 20. In 2017 our second highest rated team was Butler at #25. If Villanova (currently #19 and still the conferences highest ranked) slips even a little from their run as the #1 program in the land the conference will settle in the 4/5 area. I thinks that's likely.

So basically exactly where I said the Big East would be.  Not the very best conference in the country, but also not the worst of the Power 6 conferences, or, as some Scoopers have said, a mid-major conference.  I would agree with that and it's exactly why I'm in no way, shape, or form concerned about the trajectory of the conference.  It was obviously not going to remain the best conference in the country.  You don't lose Pittsburgh (who was great until they joined the ACC), Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame, and UCONN and not take a drop.  But the BE has landed in a really good place.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #378 on: December 06, 2018, 09:41:32 PM »
This is the 6th year of the "New Big East". In year one (IIRC) we weren't in the top 5, this year we check in at #5. I'm not exactly sure where Pomeroy had us the other 4 years, maybe a 2nd, two 3rds and a 4th? To say that only UW fans and chicken little MU fans (and zero "experts) would rank the conference outside the top 3 is inaccurate. The ACC is head and shoulders above us and the Big 12 is clearly #2. Whether we've been 3 or 4 depends on where you put the Big 10.

If you're not concerned with the conference's trajectory, though, I think you're dead wrong. Villanova's amazing run has kept the conference at #3 or #4 because in the final Pomeroy rankings they've been rated 11,5,1,2, and 1. Meanwhile no other Big East team has finished in the top 13 - ever. Only Xavier (#14 in2016 and #15 last year,) Creighton (#17 in 2014) and Butler (#20 in 2015) have cracked the top 20. In 2017 our second highest rated team was Butler at #25. If Villanova (currently #19 and still the conferences highest ranked) slips even a little from their run as the #1 program in the land the conference will settle in the 4/5 area. I thinks that's likely.

I'm not concerned because 1. It's too early to know what the long-term trajectory will be IMHO; and B. There's nothing I can do about it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #379 on: December 06, 2018, 10:28:48 PM »
I'm not concerned because 1. It's too early to know what the long-term trajectory will be IMHO; and B. There's nothing I can do about it.

As to 1. you are correct, we don't yet KNOW what the long term trajectory will be. I'm offering my opinion on what I think is the most likely outcome. Regarding B. The fate of the Big East concerns me because I'm a fan of Marquette. And world hunger concerns me because I'm a fan of humanity. My inability to do anything about either doesn't eliminate my concern.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #380 on: December 06, 2018, 10:40:12 PM »

New Big East Rankings since inception

2013 5th   Four NCAA teams.  Zero Sweet 16's
2014 2nd   Six NCAA teams.  One Sweet 16
2015 3rd    Five NCAA teams.  National Champion
2016 3rd    Seven NCAA teams.  Elite 8
2017 3rd    Six NCAA teams.  National Champion
2018 5th
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #381 on: December 06, 2018, 11:12:21 PM »
The Big East in its current form and in the current landscape is one of the top 3 or 4 basketball conferences. I am very confident it will remain that way for at least the next few years.

What I don't know is what that second TV contract is going to look like. That'll be a worry at the back of my head until the deal gets done. That could change our trajectory in a hurry.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

source?

• All American
« Reply #382 on: December 06, 2018, 11:29:53 PM »
Personally I think as long as the Pac12, Big 12, and ACC make way less money than the Big 10 and SEC we will be in a solid position. Those 3 conferences are struggling to keep up and are dumping the bulk of their income into football. As long as we annually finish among the top 5/6 I think we are fine. The AAC can't compete with us as long as they are focused on football and have a puny TV contract. The A10, MWC, and WCC have no shot of catching us, IMO. I think we are safe for the foreseeable future.

source?

• All American
« Reply #383 on: December 06, 2018, 11:33:02 PM »
The Big East in its current form and in the current landscape is one of the top 3 or 4 basketball conferences. I am very confident it will remain that way for at least the next few years.

What I don't know is what that second TV contract is going to look like. That'll be a worry at the back of my head until the deal gets done. That could change our trajectory in a hurry.

The vast majority of income for basketball programs is not in the TV contract. I worry a little about the contract but keeping fans engaged is a much bigger concern for me. I'd like to see every BE team make the NCAA tournament every few years just to give fans a sense of nm pride and keep them buying tickets.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #384 on: December 06, 2018, 11:51:31 PM »
As to 1. you are correct, we don't yet KNOW what the long term trajectory will be. I'm offering my opinion on what I think is the most likely outcome. Regarding B. The fate of the Big East concerns me because I'm a fan of Marquette. And world hunger concerns me because I'm a fan of humanity. My inability to do anything about either doesn't eliminate my concern.

Fair enough. I personally am more concerned about world hunger. Which is why I spend too g-d much time on WH Scoop!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #385 on: December 07, 2018, 01:24:28 AM »
The vast majority of income for basketball programs is not in the TV contract. I worry a little about the contract but keeping fans engaged is a much bigger concern for me. I'd like to see every BE team make the NCAA tournament every few years just to give fans a sense of nm pride and keep them buying tickets.

My concern is that without a good TV contract it will be much hard to keep fans engaged
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #386 on: December 07, 2018, 11:18:33 AM »
How does the fact we have fewer teams impact our place?  Is it to our advantage because more concentrated quality...or to our disadvantage because the others have more chance for tourney bids (who cares about the losers) ...or does it all just average out?

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #387 on: December 07, 2018, 11:37:32 AM »
My concern is that without a good TV contract it will be much hard to keep fans engaged

What criteria are you concerned about for the TV contract in terms of engagement?  $/National TV games/Overall accessibility for games?

In some ways, I'm not sure if #2 and #3 make as much of a difference anymore, now that streaming is so accessible and widespread--in some ways, it doesn't matter who the TV contract is with because almost all the content is available to stream regardless of what channel it appears on.  I do think there is still something about having your games on the flagship channels because of the free advertising/marketing it gives you, but even that feels like it is waning.

Now, $ could be a big difference for next round--Fox needed the Big East last time around and was willing to pay premium dollars for a commodity that was a little more uncertain at the time.  With the shifting landscape, it'll be interesting to see who bids next time.  And, that might have a big impact on the schools, but won't matter as much initially for the fan bases itself in terms of being able to follow their programs.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #388 on: December 07, 2018, 06:51:08 PM »
Cooley & Company up by 18 at halftime over U Mass.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #389 on: December 07, 2018, 07:37:55 PM »

The importance of the Fox contract is distribution on a major sports network.   The world is changing very fast in this space, the next contract will be very important.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #390 on: December 07, 2018, 08:00:49 PM »
Cooley & Company up by 18 at halftime over U Mass.
Huge comeback win for UMass.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #391 on: December 07, 2018, 08:45:00 PM »
Huge comeback win for UMass.
Aargh.....
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #392 on: December 07, 2018, 10:23:00 PM »
Cooley is too good a coach to ever give up a lead like that.    Or so I have been lead to believe.     Or maybe it just has to be accepted that the vicissitudes of the game apply to all schools and leagues. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:36:20 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #393 on: December 08, 2018, 12:31:29 PM »
Wow. DePaul winning at Northwestern 57-45 on BTN.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #394 on: December 08, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »
Wow. DePaul winning at Northwestern 57-45 on BTN.
Northwestern battled back to 57-52 with 7:03 left
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #395 on: December 08, 2018, 12:44:07 PM »
NW up 61-57 now with 4 minutes left.
            ---Al McGuire

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #396 on: December 08, 2018, 12:44:45 PM »
Seton Hall up 4 on #9 Kentucky with 12 minutes left. This Kentucky team isn’t very good.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #397 on: December 08, 2018, 12:47:25 PM »
Seton Hall up 4 on #9 Kentucky with 12 minutes left. This Kentucky team isn’t very good.
Quincy McKnight playing well.
            ---Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #398 on: December 08, 2018, 12:48:42 PM »

Kentucky is awful and Cals halftime quotes prove he’s not even coaching these guys

Hall isn’t even playing well and still hanging in there
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #399 on: December 08, 2018, 12:49:14 PM »
NW now up 67-57 a 25-0 run.
            ---Al McGuire

feedback