[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Non Conference Results  (Read 112055 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Big East Non Conference Results
« Reply #300 on: November 28, 2018, 12:21:09 PM »
Here's what gets me, and I don't want to speak for Goose on this, but I think he'd probably agree. We have heard ad nauseum about this being Wojo's best, most talented team in 5 years..and I agree with that. However, all he's going to have to do is make it in the tourney with better than a 10 seed, and people can and will say "see, this WAS Wojo's best team ever". Not hardly...if this team(Wojo's most talented/best team) gets in the NCAA's, with anything LESS than a 4-5 seed, it was a COLOSSAL disappointment, and to think anything other than that, you are just blind, or always love being one who wants to say the "naysayers" were wrong. 5 seed or higher, or it IS a HUGE disappointment. No other way to put it.

That's your opinion.

I think the answer lies somewhere in between. I'd be disappointed with a 9 seed. I expected this team to be fringe top 20-25 all year. I'd be fine with a 6 or 7.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #301 on: November 28, 2018, 12:21:27 PM »
Here's what gets me, and I don't want to speak for Goose on this, but I think he'd probably agree. We have heard ad nauseum about this being Wojo's best, most talented team in 5 years..and I agree with that. However, all he's going to have to do is make it in the tourney with better than a 10 seed, and people can and will say "see, this WAS Wojo's best team ever". Not hardly...if this team(Wojo's most talented/best team) gets in the NCAA's, with anything LESS than a 4-5 seed, it was a COLOSSAL disappointment, and to think anything other than that, you are just blind, or always love being one who wants to say the "naysayers" were wrong. 5 seed or higher, or it IS a HUGE disappointment. No other way to put it.

K.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #302 on: November 28, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »

I try to look this team objectively.   I remain consistent in my position that the ceiling is a 6 seed with the floor being a 9 seed.

And I really don't care if people agree with me or not. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #303 on: November 28, 2018, 12:33:13 PM »
4 Big East games tonight. TV schedule is pinned on the top of the board. Enjoy!

Thanks, really Helpful.  Nice to have.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #304 on: November 28, 2018, 12:33:23 PM »

I think if things break right, this team has the ability to be a 3-seed. From what I've seen so far, it feels like an 8-9 seed. My minimum expectation has always been comfortably in, which for me means 7 or better. That means you're at worst right around the edge of the top-25 and never in doubt of being left out.

Obviously I hope for better, but I think worse than a 7 is my bar for disappointment, unless we're moved for matchup purposes (say Providence, Butler, St John's, & Louisville are all on the 10-line).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #305 on: November 28, 2018, 12:43:44 PM »
I think we will know what kind of team we really have after we play K-State, Wisconsin and Buffalo. Hope we can take 2 out of 3. If Louisville can beat MSU I hope we can beat K-State at home.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #306 on: November 28, 2018, 12:48:51 PM »
Please re-read the title of this thread.

Then take your discussion of this issue to one of the bajillion threads that already discuss how you were, are, or will be disappointed by this years'  team.

I know it's Scoop's nature to take every thread off track.  But this one actually holds interesting information that would be nice to track through the season. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:12:59 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

MU_CHI

• Walk-On
« Reply #307 on: November 28, 2018, 03:12:09 PM »
Please re-read the title of this thread.

Then take your discussion of this issue to one of the bajillion threads that already discuss how you were, are, or will be disappointed by this years'  team.

I know it's Scoop's nature to take every thread off track.  But this one actually holds interesting information that would be nice to track through the season.

Yes

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #308 on: November 28, 2018, 08:21:44 PM »
Xavier rolled Miami-Ohio.

Georgetown beat Richmond.

DePaul tied with Cleveland State in the 2nd half.

Montana and Creighton also tied.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #309 on: November 28, 2018, 08:45:59 PM »

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #310 on: November 29, 2018, 11:13:39 AM »
Watched the Creighton game last night. Nice to see Ty-Shon Alexander doing well this sophomore season. I caught several of his high school games and was always impressed. Creighton seems to have some depth and looks like they are going to be a tough road game for Big East opponents. Although they are probably a year away from being a very strong team.
UNC Grad MU Fan

MU_CHI

• Walk-On
« Reply #311 on: November 29, 2018, 12:34:38 PM »
Saturday will be a huge slate of games for the conference:

K State @ Marquette
Johnnies @ GT
L'Ville @ Hall
Oakland @ X
Zags @ Creighton
Nova @ LaSalle
Rhode Island @ Providence
Butler @ SLU

Seton Hall and Creighton most probable Ls in my mind

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #312 on: November 29, 2018, 12:52:04 PM »

K State @ Marquette
Johnnies @ GT
L'Ville @ Hall
Oakland @ X
Zags @ Creighton
Nova @ LaSalle
Butler @ SLU

5-3 for the day would be a good result for BE

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #313 on: November 29, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »
Why is Butler playing at SLU?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #314 on: November 29, 2018, 12:59:09 PM »

K State @ Marquette
Johnnies @ GT
L'Ville @ Hall
Oakland @ X
Zags @ Creighton
Nova @ LaSalle
Butler @ SLU

Agree, this and next Saturday are big days. Right now BE is 50-15 - 77%. We should toast the 10 between Saturdays...those 16 on the Saturdays are generally not easy.

12/8
#10UKvHALL
DEPvNW
JOESv#23VILL
XAVvCIN
GTWNvSYR
NIUvBUT
#22WISvMARQ
CREIvNEB

12/1 and 12/8 will say a lot about MU and the BE.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #315 on: November 29, 2018, 01:18:22 PM »
Just a quick correction, GT vs. SJU is a neutral site game in Miami

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #316 on: November 29, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »
Why is Butler playing at SLU?

Return of a home and home I believe. Actually a decent road game, Butler should win and get road credit for a win over a team that will be in the mix for a conference title in a decent but not great league.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #317 on: November 30, 2018, 10:42:38 AM »
I like to glance at the Massey Composite ... figure the averaging of a bunch of systems that I have no idea about might actually be close to the truth.

take a look, very interesting...but sometimes a couple of days behind:
https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Noticing how many ACC teams were at the top and no BE teams, I wondered how the BE stacked up in the top 50. Here is a breakdown of the top 50 by conference..so we're ok even though not at the top ... and we only have 10 teams remember...:

ACC   13
B10   11
SEC   7
B12   6
BE   6
P12   3
MAC   1
MWC   1
OVC   1
WCC   1

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #318 on: November 30, 2018, 11:42:47 AM »
Return of a home and home I believe. Actually a decent road game, Butler should win and get road credit for a win over a team that will be in the mix for a conference title in a decent but not great league.

Surprised BE teams doing home and homes with A10 teams. 

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #319 on: November 30, 2018, 12:01:26 PM »
Surprised BE teams doing home and homes with A10 teams.

Wisconsin is finishing a home and home with Western Kentucky this season.North Carolina played at Wofford(played them at home last season) and Elon(I assume they will get a return game or 2 in the deal).

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #320 on: November 30, 2018, 12:04:57 PM »
Wisconsin is finishing a home and home with Western Kentucky this season.North Carolina played at Wofford(played them at home last season) and Elon(I assume they will get a return game or 2 in the deal).

Wisconsin also got a home football game against WKU last year.   I've heard all 3 games were part of the same deal.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #321 on: November 30, 2018, 12:06:34 PM »

UNC is its own thing - Roy tries to play non-con road games near where the seniors grew up

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #322 on: November 30, 2018, 12:43:55 PM »
UNC is its own thing - Roy tries to play non-con road games near where the seniors grew up

This.  UNC does this regularly, so not really a good example. 

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #323 on: November 30, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »
Oklahoma played at UT San Antonio and UT Rio Grand Valley this season.

Kansas State is playing at Tulsa after the MU game.

In 17 and 18 Virginia did a home and home with UNC Greensboro.......in 18 and 19 they did a home and home with VCU(Atlantic 10).

I could find more.

Bottom line ......it doesn't happen all the time but major conference teams do play H&H with schools from lesser conferences .....

source?

• All American
« Reply #324 on: November 30, 2018, 01:35:27 PM »
This.  UNC does this regularly, so not really a good example.

I think with SLU it was supposed to be a pretty savvy scheduling move. SLU was supposed to be a top 75 type team last year and this year. Things went sideways last year with some sketchy incidents leading to suspensions and a poor season overall. They have an almost power school  feel to them when they are good (Chaiffetz is basically a copy/paste of Cintas and their fanbase can be solid) so it could be a decent environment for the players. You also look at Butler, which has for whatever reason historically had one of the lowest budgets in the Big East, and they see and opportunity for a pair of decent games against a local school that only costs them a 3.5 hour bus trip each way.

feedback